1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Practical Search engine Optimization - the things that had worked for me

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by PRGuy, Feb 16, 2010.

Hello guys,

I know, this is becoming a very boring but an expensive topic always, I mean SEO. Everyone we meet over here (at least a good % of the webmasters) claims that he/she is a search engine optimization expert. But do you think that results are coming only with these experts? No, actually. If you don't know anything that is the best thing to achieve greater results for your website than becoming 'just a word' SEO Expert.

Its 100% true that I'm not an expert at this topic. But I would like to tell a few things that I tried myself for promoting my websites. All I had with me when I bought my first website was time. Yes, I was having lots of time to promote my website. I think, if you really follow something like this (better modify and do) you can get some good position on SEs.

If you feel this stuff is wasting your time I'm sorry :)

(i) My site was designed on normal html with lots of texts. It really helped me to score well than the other stylish sites with flash designs and images. I've never made more than enough keywords 'forced into' my pages, but never gone below the required too. Chosen the right title which can bring more and more keywords once my site get geared.

(ii) Just for promoting my site, I've created a blog at site/blog and tried to write on topics which have something to do with my site throwing some links to my site. Don't know whether its true or not, but for me this worked. All of us know that [seo+services+uk] can either be seo,services,uk or seo services uk. SEs select both. But I prefer the second one. I mean never broke a long tail keyword. It really worked.

(ii) Selected some of the classified sites to promote first. The first thing that I wanted was lots of traffic. So I've made a few announcements (make it match your niche and business) with lots of free classified sites. I've never tried craiglist though. I was trying other classified sites like (click,vivastreet hmmm..sorry guys I was using lots and lots of sites but unable to remember all. Google this you will get. And believe me on this. Just write a perfect post and distribute it to many and many classified sites, you will see shining traffic, But link building is not possible with all sites)

(iii) A funny thing is I've never tried article websites. But created many and many supporting blogs (now this is termed as web2.0 link building, linkwheels etc..) with blogger, vox, weebly, tumblr, wetpaint, base, wordpress, blog, squidoo, hubs etc etc lots more names are there (again, I could not remember some good site names)

(iv) Forums. Definitely forums are helpful. They bring everything, links, traffic, knowledge, business and lots more. But the important thing is you must know how exactly to make 100% results with forums. If you could manage a few forum accounts you can learn a few things and also good link building. I've never gone for popular forums. But I was trying to find the forums where links are weighed much. Still doing this. I know many good forums where the total post counts may be below 10k but which are capable of giving backlinks. It require lots of research but definitely bring you greater results. You can even stick on forums alone leaving all the other seo methods to rank your sites. They are much powerful.

(v) Blog commenting. I don't care a nofollow or dofollow. Why? because nofollow brings me clicks and dofollow bring me links. And never spam a blog. I could get approved comments on the toughest blog with good rating. Because the comments were so much related to the post. I've even made searches on the topic just for leaving a comment.

My trick here is - always make post hiding a question inside the comment, regarding the post topic which is important.

(vi) Press releases. I don't submit my release to all the sites. I just do a few submissions where the pages can be awarded good PR on updates. I have many good PR press release pages. So I get traffic and much weighed backlinks with less OBLs. Its a powerful method.

My trick here is to send a tweet, ping the feed of the press release to make it a bit 'attractive'

continues........[I would like to write a few more things. But like to hear what you think about this before that. thanks for your time]

PRGuy, Feb 16, 2010 IP
  2. SolarPanelGuy

SolarPanelGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks - great and inspirational post.

Would you mind clearifying a bit more on how you research forums? What makes a good forum to you - seo wise?

SolarPanelGuy, Feb 16, 2010 IP
  3. PRGuy

PRGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello SolarPanel, you are most welcome.

There are different methods of choosing forums. People who are looking for building traffic and business will definitely be looking forward for forums like digital point, v7 etc.. Because these forums are

* Absolutely free in all aspects
    * Highly populated
    * Great SERP values
    * Bigger databases

But we must do some more thing if we are going for link building or seo with forums.

* Must be dofollow signature enabled
    * should be giving better weight for the links (this can be varied with forums, I cant explain much because its some guesses but I was right always. With my own research, certain forums gives extra weight on links and that links will be counted as strong backlinks on Search engines)

Here page rank of the forum, population etc doesn't matter at all. I'm not much expert with this. Suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Hope this helps :)

PRGuy, Feb 16, 2010 IP
  4. SolarPanelGuy

SolarPanelGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks PRGuy,

That's really a great help.

When you're talking about links (to your own site) in forum I take that you're don't mean actually posting it. That would be against most forums rules. Do you mean the URL that you're allowed to place in your profile and/or signature?

Thanks again

5. PRGuy

PRGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    Signatures and the links on the profiles are very very important. Some times I could notice that just with the website link that had been given with the profile pulled up as backlinks. This will go strong if you add a few posts to the profile. This is how we can make angela paul backlinks as 'working links' than keeping them as dead. And also we have many other methods to post links. Many sites allow this (varies from site to site) Some sites offers direct advertisements while some other offers BST section and marketplace for this. There are many methods( :D sorry for not expanding all) to do this.

PRGuy, Feb 16, 2010 IP
  6. SolarPanelGuy

SolarPanelGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks - you have been very helpfull. I'll stop my flod of questions for now :)

7. iR0ck

iR0ck Peon

Best Answers:
    pretty nice answers which shows a big experience in seo , but pple need to expand every single sentence about it , cause some need long article to explain it all .

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    iR0ck, Feb 16, 2010 IP
  8. PRGuy

PRGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks.

Friend, I don't mind sharing my experience with anybody. According to me seo is not only knowledge and secrets but also time. That's why people hire experts. They don't have time to do their self. So the other team 'TERMED AS' experts :D

If you want some more detail about any of the above info feel free to ask. If I know the answer definitely I will put it over here.

P!

PRGuy, Feb 16, 2010 IP
  9. iR0ck

iR0ck Peon

Best Answers:
    I have books and stuff all related to seo , and I have 0 time to read , I give pple to read for me and work for me

but think of getting into this a lil bit

one question that I was going to open a thread for :

what is the best for the links in high pr sites , can we use only 1 keyword ? or multiple ( like : search engine optimization service , webbuilding service , web designing service ) ? and can we use keyphrases ? like a description for the product we sell in the site instead of keywords .

and , does this way work too :

search engine optimization service , webbuilding service , web designing service http://forums.digitalpoint.com

like separated

iR0ck, Feb 16, 2010 IP
  10. PRGuy

PRGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    One can achieve good results as the seo services if he really puts time and efforts on the work.

Coming to your question. According to my little experience, regardless of the PR of the site (which is just for showing the authority - not for SERPs) the best thing is to put single key phrases with url (like 'SEO Services' and so than putting 'SEO Services with guaranteed results') But there is a small difference in this. If you put 'SEO Services' alone ( I mean the keyword alone ) you will get extra weight there but SEs point only for the exact keywords ( I mean searches for 'SEO Services' alone) But if you put the entire phrase like 'SEO Services with guaranteed results' there is a chance to get more pointing towards your site than the other, but here the weight of the link will be comparatively less.

Hope this helps. :)

PRGuy, Feb 16, 2010 IP
  11. Graimon

Graimon Peon

Best Answers:
    Pretty Intelligent Tips...Thank you....

Graimon, Feb 17, 2010 IP
  12. PRGuy

PRGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    :)

I would like to hear what our senior members think about these stuff.. :)

!P

PRGuy, Feb 17, 2010 IP
  13. Hecky

Hecky Like a Dungeon Dragon!

Best Answers:
    I can't say that I'm an expert on SEO, but I think that the key thing is not to go after the keywords that are really popular, and instead go for the long-tail ones that still get a reasonable amount of traffic. Registering a domain that contains those exact keywords will give you a massive boost in the SERPS, too.

The best advice would be to just keep everything natural - don't get 10,000 backlinks in your first day - just make everything organic, which also makes it slightly more slow too.

A tip on your advice about the blog commenting, here's a useful tip for you.

Replace 'YOURKEYWORD' with the keyword that you're looking to promote and pop that into google. You'll come up with usually 50-100 targeted blogs that have a plugin which is optimised for SEO. Perfect, eh? Just put a few comments on those in the format that they ask for and you'll get a good set of relevant backlinks within the day.

Thanks!

Hecky, Feb 17, 2010 IP
    PRGuy likes this.
  14. verdecove

verdecove Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not a senior member but would like to tell you that your post with all those in my opinion darn good advices is just awesome.
    Thanks for sharing all the good tips and tricks. I even fired up my old printer and printed it out, so I always will have it.
    Thumb Up!
    verdecove

verdecove, Feb 17, 2010 IP
  15. PRGuy

PRGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    :) thanks hecky..that's really a working trick..

Friend.. thank you very much for the good words..

PRGuy, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  16. verdecove

verdecove Member

Best Answers:
    This is a good tip but my experience was that on a lot of the blogs that I found the link was completely disabled after only a very short time. So if the SE didn't pick up your link before it was disabled it was worthless and even if the SE did pick it up, so the link won't be found anymore at a later time - worthless again. I prefer building backlinks with a longer lifetime.
    What I also notices was the blog admin linked the time or date of when the comment was posted to the blog or his online shop. Well, I guess this is another way of backlink building without making any efforts to create some
    good content. The keywordLuv plugin was only used as a bait to draw traffic and get lots of comments with hopefully some relevant keywords. Not a nice way but I guess nothing you can do about it.
    Also I noticed that 98% of those blogs have either n/a PR or just PR0 and not many comments posted at all, but this could be only on blogs for keywords I target.
    Bog commenting still might be a nice way of building backlinks but as with almost any other way you have to choose wisely.
    Cheers
    verdecove

verdecove, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  17. Hecky

Hecky Like a Dungeon Dragon!

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it's probably best to choose just the blogs that have already got some comments on them, so you know that they're active and being moderated accordingly. There's also free software that'll automatically find these blogs for you and enter your email, comment, name and website automatically, but I don't like to use them. If you've got the time, write a decent comment. Personally I hate it when I get 5 emails a day with spam comments on my blog so I don't want to inflict the same upon anyone else.

Hecky, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  18. verdecove

verdecove Member

Best Answers:
    Don't use software to post comments. That's for sure spamming and even I, who always is on the hunt for a backlink, even I am strict against spamming. If I can not leave a good and relevant comment I rather miss out on the opportunity than being called a spammer.
    cheers
    verdecove

verdecove, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  19. monfis

monfis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure if I may be called a senior member, but he's explaining you a few things I never thought to discuss about (just too stressy normally ;)).

Hes's right with his tips and shows more SEO knowledge than I've seeen in a long time.

monfis, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  20. PRGuy

PRGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    you are right. The reason behind is - though many softwares like free blog commenter, blog commenter+ etc are semi automated, akismet and similar stuffs find these comments as spam sometimes. This may reduce the approval chance for sure. So I think if a blog seems worth commenting, that'd great if do it manually by giving some good stuff with the comments.

Thanks friend,
    thank you very much for the reply. By the way, I would also like to know if anybody here like to talk a little about list building, documenting etc in terms of search engine optimization :)

PRGuy, Feb 18, 2010 IP