1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR6 page not in top 1000

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Percept, Sep 23, 2004.

Hi,

I've optimized a website for a friend recently ( switched from frames to XHTML ), I optimized the title, headers, text and links but the homepage (PR6) is nowhere to be found in Google for the main keyword. All incoming links are from related directories and the keyword density for the main keyword is 4.27%. I really have no idea why I can't get this page to rank.

website -> arubahaystack.com
    main keyword -> "aruba"

All help appreciated.

Percept, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  2. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    It is not ranking because your backlinks are not using "aruba" as the anchor text.

It seems much of your PR and backlinks come from your DMOZ (and dmoz copies) listing which has "Villa Park Haystack Residence" as the anchore text.

Your problem is pretty simple ... you do not have enough backllinks with "aruba" as the anchor text.

Nitin M, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  3. Percept

Percept Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I know I should try to improve the number of backlinks WITH the keyword but I still think it's strange it doesn't rank within the top 1000 seeing as it's a PR6 with enough onpage SEO.

Percept, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Shows you EXACTLY that PR means F*** All for ranking. Thanks for showing this example to those who believe high PR is necessary.

Get correct incoming links!

T0PS3O, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  5. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Well said Tops. I just wonder how long people will be fixated on PR? It amazes me how much folks are going after the PR "prize" not realizing how little it means.

mopacfan, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  6. Percept

Percept Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the answers guys, I knew PR was getting less important but this still amazed me.

Percept, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  7. Sholva

Sholva Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm glad to see some of you here confirming my thoughts about the importance of PR now, the updates seem to be slow, new sites take even longer to get a PR (toolbar) and it's pretty obvious from SERP's that it's not all about the PR.

Can't agree more with optimizing those anchor texts, just look at those "prank" google bombs and how well they work.

Sholva, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  8. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Well said guys - PR is not worth much these days

Look at this page from the big experiment sleeping bags and it has a PR of 6 yet is at 19 with an all in anchor of 2nd.

In the first 10 there are 4 pages for the search term with PR0 and two of those are not even ranked for allinanchor.

:)

Foxy, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  9. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    So what would be the explanation for that?

It can't be backlinks or they would be ranked for allinanchor.

nadlay, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  10. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to spend hours lookin at that green bar - lately I'm doing that very infrequently, and this is a good example.

I have the same problem with a KW and I think it's because I've no BL's with the anchor text, because KW density etc appears fine.

DarrenC, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  11. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to spend hours lookin at that green bar - lately I'm doing that very infrequently, and this is a good example.

I have the same problem with a KW and I think it's because I've no BL's with the anchor text, because KW density etc appears fine.

Percept - since the sites are themed the same, you can have a PR5 link for Aruba or whatever anchor text you want, just Pm me with the URL, description and anchor text and I'll get it up on the links page ASAP.

Darren :)

EDIT: how the hell did it create two posts.. I'm not spamming.. honest! :D

DarrenC, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  12. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PR is just a summation of the weights of inbound links. PR tells you nothing about anchor text or themed links. Also PR tells you nothing about links in the sandbox, fresh, or old links (different SERP weight might be given to each of these groups).

PR is a good indicator of if a site has been around for a while.

Help Desk, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  13. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Very well said TB. For an example, check out www.itlent.com. This used to be for marketing previous business ventures. The content you see is how it's been for over a year. Note the pr5. No content but good pr. This is because of the ibl's from old client sites.

mopacfan, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  14. Foxy

Best Answers:
    Nadlay: "So what would be the explanation for that?

It can't be backlinks or they would be ranked for allinanchor."

Not at all, IBLs and allinanchor are different

allinanchor:keyword gives you your position for that anchor link
    link:www.xxx.com are links pointing at the domain "Some words, when followed by a colon, have special meanings to Google. One such word for Google is the link: operator. The query link:siteURL shows you all the pages that point to that URL. For example, link:www.google.com will show you all the pages that point to Google's home page."

Foxy, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  15. Foxy

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure that is correct either, subjectively yes, objectively no, PR is as it was meant to be ...an algo based on linking and if you went out and got links you could up your PR which gave you a better feeling...thats all

The PR weighting was and is controlled by Google in the positioning of a page and more recently seems to have been given a diminished value to where it is of very little value except a better feeling. :)

Foxy, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  16. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    7. www.infosyncworld.com 21200 0 0 102000

Foxy,

I should have looked at your example before commenting.

The non-ranked allinanchor sites have lots of links as per the Yahoo figure, but the number 7 one is interesting as it shows ZERO google links, yet is still at 7th.

From an analysis of that page, there must be some factor which is more important than Anchor Text, Total Backlinks, and PR, which is giving that site the boost it needs to get to position 7.

nadlay, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  17. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Cheers Foxy I've been asking this question and no one has answered me until now!! It explains why I'm having probs with one specifc keyword term

DarrenC, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  18. Foxy

Best Answers:
    That is what is making the experiment interesting and worth pursuing - what there seems to be no doubt about is that forum links are worth not a lot as "the McDar page" slowly disappeared [which means in simple terms a time filter on forum sigs] off the horizon until we, that is about a dozen forum members, threw a wide spread of domains and 72 links at it [which is now over 200 because of blogs, php etc] which immediately moved it back to 15-19.

What we are not sure about is what is that factor that gives the site that extra boost - it is obviously outside the factors we are using or a critical combination of those factors.

Having a good look at that page you have hilited may well assist. :)

Foxy, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  19. Foxy

Best Answers:
    My pleasure :)

Foxy, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  20. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    I have started another thread Is PR more important than we think?

I use the McDar tool quite a lot, and I have noticed a lot of similar situations.

Because I had to go back and re-check the sleeping bags page in McDar I looked at things a little more closely, and one thing that struck me was the number 7 position.

When you put your mouse over the listed domain in Mcdar, you see the exact page which is listed and for the number 7 position it is an internal page.

That triggered my memory about previous similar situations, and I think most of them were also internal pages, not the home page.

So I did a bit of investigating, and sure enough, most of the PR0 results are actually internal pages of sites with high PR home pages.

Hence the thread I have started. Is PR more important than we think?

nadlay, Sep 24, 2004 IP