1. Quickly find sites and domains for sale in the marketplace based on criteria that interests you.

Enter Marketplace
  2. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR5 Site for Sale, 27K weight, $2000/month

Discussion in 'Sites' started by solaris125, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hey Mike,
    SEMrush
    When I left I was leaving to do SEO for realtors (my wife is a realtor) and for non-profits (I had sold a company that built websites for non-profits so had lots of connections in that field).

All of my initial clients came in through contacts or referrals and we had a fixed fee of $500/month for realtors and $1000/month for the non-profits. We had about a dozen of each lined up when started but getting new clients beyond just our sphere of influence was a lot tougher than we thought.

By luck we stumbled upon a method on one of our experiments sites that seemed to be working well. At same time we were starting to wrestle with some unrealistic expectations from some of the initial clients.

Net result ... we decided to close down the SEO for clients and go for SEO for ourselves. That was a very difficult decision for us because we were saying godbye to a lot of recurring revenue that was predictable for very unpredictable and still somewhat unproven adsense and affiliate income. Today I'm very glad we did it.

That's some history ... now for the specific questions:

>> 1) How far along were you in your studying/experimenting before you took the "leap" and left your job?
    Not very. But we had a nice buyout from the sale and so had some time to build up the revenues without pressure. If you don't have a very comfortable 12 months buffer time I would not make the jump until you have close to your bare minimum monthly expenses covered.

>> 2) How would you prioritize the talents necessary to really succeed in this business
    A) Absolutely is having a strong technical background to be able to work with your programming lang of choice and be able to work with databases, scrapers, etc. Now, I know there are people that can succeed without this, but I wouldn't have a clue or snowball's chance in hell to make the monery we're making without it.
    B) Ability to treat this like a business. Over and over again on these forums members will say to make sites based on topics you know/enjoy. I'm sure that works for some but it doesn't for us. We make sites to make money - end of story.

>> 3) Opportunity today vs. a year ago
    I still feel like the whole world is available out there. Definitely not too late but I do think some of our easier methods have their days numbered and so we're pumping a ton of money into "real" sites that we think offer services or create communities that will be around for the long term. I think the "easier" methods have 2-4 years max shelf life left in them.

>> 4) Regrets
    One, that we didn't scale things up faster. I think we built 12 sites in the first 6 months. We typically roll out 12 a week now.

The second, that we were so got really careless about tracking things. When we started we kept a log for every website with absolutely everything we were doing on it and had nice concise spreadsheets to track our link buying, our servers, our plans, etc. When the money started coming in we got ridiculously careless. Not until a big G update knocked out 50% of our revenue and a server crash (with no backup!) knocked out months of effort did we clean up our act.

Whew ... probably my longest post to date :p

Feel free to email me: ultimaterank[@]gmail.com if you want to follow-up and good luck whichever way you go with it.

Nitin M, Jul 28, 2005 IP
    SEMrush
  2. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I agree. Building sites on topics that you know about is all well and good if those topics are one's that pay.
    Yes, when concentrating on adsense, I'm talking about building sites for adsense. Stuff what Google says. There is nothing wrong with building sites for adsense. BUT, and it's a big BUT, you really should build sites that are of use to your users. The fact that they are actually built to bring you income is irrelevant. A decent site can be built for adsense and also be of a lot of use to users.
    I don't think this is the sort of site that people normally refer to as built for adsense, it is but it's also useful to end users.
    At the end of the day, you're running a business, so you should really be tracking as much as you can think of. Especially link buying, servers etc etc. Anything that is costing you money needs to be tracked - an IRS audit is unpleasent enough (in both the UK and US) without them finding that you don't follow your ependiture and can't explain all expenditure - appologies if you meant something else.

jlawrence, Jul 29, 2005 IP