1. Quickly find sites and domains for sale in the marketplace based on criteria that interests you.

Enter Marketplace
  2. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR5 Site for Sale, 27K weight, $2000/month

Discussion in 'Sites' started by solaris125, Jul 24, 2005.

1. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0

Even 6K of wieght can be equal to 60k a year. You just have to know how to use it.
    SEMrush

City2, Jul 26, 2005 IP
    SEMrush
  2. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I've got a 3 year old PR5 domain...close enough? :)

Infiniterb, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  3. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I don't understand what you guys are talking about. How does coop weight generate any money at all? Isn't coop weight just your ranking for shared advertising (not paid, shared)?

Obviously, I'm curious because I have one 8-year-old PR 5 domain, and one 1-year-old PR 5 domain. The 1-year-old domain gets way more traffic, but even with traffic, I'm only bringing in $250/month from Google Adsense.

After reading this thread, I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I felt pretty good before I read it. :)

-Tony

aboyd, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Just a bunch of BS, tony. Hey, City2, since you are such an expert (or just have a big mouth) why don't you scan a check and show us that you can turn 6k weight into $60k a year?

fryman, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  5. donnareed

donnareed Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hmmm. This intrigues me. What does age of site do for you, if you are already ranking well?

Care to explain why you say this? Also, if your site is already ranking well, of what use is the Coop weight?

donnareed, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  6. webbom

webbom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Well, I used to make around $2000 per month with around 15k of the old coop weight. But then I hit some kind of filter and the serps went waaaaayyyy down, grrrrhhh :mad:

Now I'm making less even though I have more weight so I agree that it's a matter of how you use it. :)

webbom, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  7. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I have like 4k weight =P

but I can bench press like 200 lbs

Shoemoney, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  8. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I meant, with the added weight, your daily earnings can increase by $100/day beyond what you are currently making.

As for the age of the site, it's just something I've experienced myself that older established sites can be ranked for competitve terms with much less effort.

All of this is very short term though. Like once, I was making $600/day for over a week.. it was pretty insane. This was right after I regained rankings after being hit by the Bourbon update.

That income obviously can not be sustained on the basis of co-op weight and "thin affiliate/made for adsense" pages alone.

It would take thorough research, many hours of work and a lot of original content, plus a three year old PR6 domain, plus the 27k weight and then just pure luck to sustain the earnings long term.

spdude, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  9. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    If you live in these forums, and arent aware you can make over 60k online with the help of Co-op you got a lot to learn. Instead of camping all day in the forums you should use the resources you are exposed to and take action. Your nobody to me to have to scan cheques for show off purposes. Again, if you dont know how to make money using the co-op you got a lot to learn and 27k is an amount that is very large and more then enough to make 60k/year.

City2, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  10. tfbpa

tfbpa The....Alive

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 16
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    Sorry to jump in, but couldn't resist...

Co-op is indeed very well suited for great short term rankings. But just as webbom said, it can trigger a filter of gaining too many links too fast. Therefore if you are in it for the long run and can wait a few months before the links kick in, give Link Vault a try.

Basic principle is the same, you place links on your website and in return you get links from many different websites. Main differences are:

1) No reciprocal links between domains
    2) Links are permanent/do not rotate
    3) Links are being placed at a rate of 1-20 per day, so you won't get penalized for getting too many links too fast.
    4) Links are only being displayed on pages cached by Google, meaning you will never link to a banned/penalized page.

If you're interested you can visit the page in my sig, or if you rather not give me credit visit the main page, http://www.link-vault.com

It is not a fast way to earn $1000's a month, but will get you there in time...

tfbpa, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  11. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 3
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    so, who is winning this pissing contest then?

ServerUnion, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  12. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Yes, but all you do is keep asserting it as fact, without saying how. Let me paint this picture for you. I go co-op. I haven't yet. But let's say I do it. If I understand what I've read, this is basically a (legit, nice) link exchange. OK, so now many sites are linking to me, and I'm linking to them. At no point do those sites pay me money, right? And these links are not really featured or blogrolled or discussed, but are more like the links I see at the bottom of pages here -- not really for people to click on, mostly for page rank. So odds are good that all those sites linking to me are not even sending good volumes of people my way.

So where does the extra $100/day come from? Are you expecting that an increase in PR will translate to more search results, which means more traffic looking at ads? Or do I have the co-op concept completely wrong? Or something else? For example, are you hinting at link buying?

EDIT: OK, I've read that the ad co-op lets you do more than small text links. So let me rephrase my question: are you merely suggesting that the ad network will bring in enough traffic that your Google ads will get clicked more, to the tune of $100/day? I don't have any PR 6 sites, so I don't know the volume of traffic we're talking about, but that seems like a helluva lot of extra traffic. I make $100 in 2 weeks. So that's 2 weeks worth of traffic that would suddenly hit my site every day. You must be talking about something other than Adsense revenue.

-Tony

aboyd, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  13. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Tony,

I doubt anyone making decent money from adsense or affiliates is going to paint the complete picture for you or anyone else to see exactly how they do it. Doing so is just creating more competition for themselves.

The short-version of the story is that there are many ways to convert traffic into cash. The co-op can increase traffic dramatically, not only by the direct traffic through the links, but also through improved SERPs.

The knowledge required to fill in the rest of the picture can be gleaned out from being active in forums like DP and watching what other people are doing. Still it's always a challenge to know who is speaking from experience, who is making educated statements, and who is just completely full of it. All types are on the forums.

Whether it is the co-op, link-vault, or your own personal link strategy, the power of backlinks is a key component to making good money online.

While I may not agree in the direct equation of co-op weight to earnings, I do agree there is real value there if you know how to use it.

Good luck.

Nitin M, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  14. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Nobody is saying that the co-op = $$$$, but close.

If you have a site that is a few years old, ranking around 30 for a high paying term, and have 27k of coop then you could use all of that weight and hopefully push your site into the top 3 for that term and essentially turn the coop weight into gold.

Isn't that the purpose of the coop weight anyways...site promotion? What you do with the visitors is up to you.

AfterHim.com, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  15. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I fully agree and understand. But it makes me wonder: can you hold things too close to the vest? I mean, I can go to the programming forum and answer a PHP question by saying "what you want to do can be done. I won't say how." And basically, I've added nothing to the conversation. In fact, if other people in the forum contradict me, then I've not only added nothing, but I've hurt my own credibility, too.

In such a case, while I wouldn't be inclined to code up an entire proof-of-concept just to lend credence to my claim, I would welcome the opportunity to at least explain the concepts and offer pointers. So I am, in part, just trying to give City2 the same courtesy that I would hope for.

City2 could come back and say, "50% Adsense, 25% Amazon affiliate links, 25% CafePress swag" -- and that doesn't give away everything (for example, it doesn't teach me how to craft a good text ad or pick keywords that give good clickthrough), but it might at least be enough to convince me that he isn't full of BS -- I'd do some mental math to see if the numbers are roughly in his favor, but I'd be willing to go with pie-in-the-sky optimism while I did the calculations. If even that is asking too much, then the value of his posts diminishes.

That's reasonable to a point. I believe that. Having not tried it myself, I would be surprised to see my traffic skyrocket -- but if that's what you and/or City2 assert, then I'll take it at face value, and spend more time investigating it. But at this point, I'm not sure if "get traffic, sell ads" is how City2 knocked us into the ballpark of $100/day extra.

Well, yeah, that's what I'm trying to discern. Thanks.

-Tony

aboyd, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  16. redbull

redbull Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Well sqaid aboyd, I am wondering and hoping for the same thing from city2 that you are.

redbull, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  17. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Feel bad we're hijacking this thread and going so far off topic. Oh well :p

SEO is an odd beast to have an open community where people try to help each other because sharing my knowledge can easily result in a significant loss of income. I think in DP the members genuinely try to help each .. to a point, and that's all that can be expected.

You're analogy of a php question is not on point. If you ask questions like "What anchor text should I use when I get links to improve my Google SERPs for Fantasy Football?" for example, then you'll probably get some very specific anwsers here and that is analagous to a programming question.

But asking how could you leverage co-op weight to make $100-200/day is too broad and to really walk you through it someone has to totally lay down their cards and let you in on their core trade secrets. That's asking way too much.

You are saying that noone should tell you they can do it if that's the extent of the information they're willing to share. That may be a legitimate feeling but I think I would want to know anyway. A little over a year ago my business partner and I walked away from 6 figure incomes to do "SEO" related work for ourselves full-time. A few people on seochat were hugely instrumental in helping us make the decision because they had done the same thing.

They didn't give us any details on how they were doing it, only that it was possible. We invested many months of studying, experimenting, failing, succeeding before getting to where we are now. I personally almost never give out specifics about our income because I know most won't believe the numbers are possible.

I think expecting a specific answer to "how can I make money?" is unreasonable. But I do think there is value in knowing how much money different people are making because for me at least it is motivating and also compels me to do my own research and experiments to try to figure out how they are able to achieve those numbers if I can't.

If you go down the road of trial and error and have specific questions, then I think you wil get specific answers. Of course, there's still the process of weeding out the BS from the experienced answers! ;)

Nitin M, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  18. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. I make my money from PHP programming, and every time I help someone else, I take a risk that I may be training my replacement. I feel that gives me equal potential for jeopardy. In fact, if anything, I think the balance of the comparision is reversed -- I don't believe that the replies I was looking for would have given away any real secrets. Look, I'll answer my own question to illustrate. Ready?

"Hey, Tony. First, no, the co-op isn't just links to help increase Google PR. Second, since you don't seem to know what a PR 6 site with 27K weight is capable of, let's just say that's lots of traffic. And let's say the co-op can double your traffic. With that much traffic, even Google ads should provide a substantial income."

Or how about this?

"Actually, Tony, yes, I AM talking about link buying. Use the co-op to increase your PR and then add a paid link directory to your site."

Or just:

"Yeah, I was completely boisterous and exaggerating. Sorry."

I would have been satisfied with any of those. Each is no more than a paragraph in length, so that's not too much to write. And if any of my sample responses qualify as "giving away core trade secrets" then what we're talking about here is completely unskilled labor in an industry that can collapse far too easily.

Whatever the case, at this point I have to admit that this thread has left me with a pretty sorry impression. And you're right, it's off-topic anyway. So I'm going to go find some other discussions to participate in. City2 can keep his secrets.

-Tony

aboyd, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  19. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    This thread is crazy...full of half-truths.

Sorry but I think you miss one point Tony. You can make $100 a day...but for how long? Once you get noticed you will make $5-$10 a day or less..!!! It's happened to me. Anyone can get a site to make a $100 a day...you just point the weight at the site with a good paying keyword and basically spam away until google catches you.

I had a site making me $100 a day..I was so thrilled and I had a $6k offer on the site..I wanted 12k :-( of course I wasn't too happy when the site got dropped and I was making $3 a day..I sold the site eventually as it was steady but for $600. Yeah big difference ain't it.

This guy wants 20k basically for a time bomb. I understand industry secrets and I tell no one some of the things that I know...but sometimes people act like something is a big damn secret...like OVT. It's funny when I am in sale and someone says they have to run some reports before making me an offer. Meanwhile they are just going to overture and marketleap...as if it's some big secret only they know about.

I am getting kind of tired of this type of thread where someone pretends they know something really important and it's just not so. Read between the lines and you can see the bullsheet.

Good luck Tony.

RectangleMan, Jul 28, 2005 IP
    GuyFromChicago and TommyD like this.
  20. TheSmegHead

TheSmegHead Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Nitin-

I am considering making the same decision you did a year ago, and was wondering if you might consider answering a few general questions - any thoughts appreciated!

• How far along were you in your studying/experimenting before you took the "leap" and left your job?
    • How would you prioritize the talents necessary to really succeed in this business; 1) marketing skills 2) innovation/creativity 3) web page coding skills 4)tenacity - anything else?
    • How would you describe the opportunity today versus a year ago for a newbie? Would you make the same decision right now?
    • Any regrets?

thanks!
    -Mike

TheSmegHead, Jul 28, 2005 IP
    SERPalert likes this.