1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR0 on ASP pages

Discussion in 'Websites' started by remember, Oct 7, 2004.

I am running a website with thousands of content pages which I manage using ASP.

All my URLs are basic with a maximum of one URL parameter eg ?ID=1234 or whatever but although Google is crawling the pages it is giving anything with a URL parameter a PR0.

Check out my site to see what I mean: http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

The frontpage gets a PR4 (no URL parameter used), all the links to pages across the top and bottom of the page have a PR of 3 or 4 (no URL parameter used) but all the real content pages which use a URL parameter have a PR0.

I thought Google was OK with URL parameters. I know it crawls the pages OK so why is it giving them no PR? It's giving PR to other pages on my site that don't have any backlinks (like contact form etc) but not giving PR to pages that do have some backlinks.

I don't know if this has just happened since the Toolbar update or not because my site was suffering from a total PR0 until today.

Anyone got any ideas?

remember, Oct 7, 2004 IP
  2. quadcity

quadcity Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello remember.
    A PR4 spread over thousands of links would be close to zero. Do you have many deep links?

quadcity, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  3. angrylizard

angrylizard Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you looked into using an apache mod rewrite. It allows you to create the illusion of static and not dynamic pages to any viewer or bot and makes your site very search friendly. Look into it. Many people have started using this to push their PR ratings

angrylizard, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  4. remember

remember Active Member

Best Answers:
    QUadcity: Do you mean inbound deep links to specific pages? I don't have a huge number but some of the content pages have a few IBL and have a PR0 whereas some of the pages that have no IBL (like terms and conditions page etc) still show PR4.

The ONLY difference I can see between pages that get PR4 and PR0 is that the pages with a URL parameter all get PR0.

Angrylizard: I've heard this before but have been authoritatively told elsewhere on this forum that a rewrite mod makes no difference providing you use fewer than 3 URL parameters. See thread below:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2969

On another forum someone suggested that it's just a problem with the Google Toolbar PR meter. They reckon its buggy with ASP sites but the PR is still OK.

Lots of different ideas here but I'm not sure who's right. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem and worked out what was going on?

remember, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  5. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as the pages are in the google index (ie spiderable), then I wouldn't worry about the PR they are displaying. :)

SEbasic, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  6. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the same issue on my emergency vehicle website. The home page is PR5 and the rest of the site is 0. To be honest, I don't care. The pages are all indexed and get good to great rankings in G. That's all I care about. As long as you can find it, that's all that matters.

apache and asp don't go together very well. Chilisoft asp will do asp on an apache server but I don't think the modrewrite will work. There is an IIS rewrite tool available, but it's not inexpensive and I don't believe it's worth the cost.

mopacfan, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  7. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    you mention id=blah google doesnt like id= simply because it thinks its a session ID, have a go at changing it to something else.

DarrenC, Oct 20, 2004 IP