1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR Update August 24, 2006

Discussion in 'Google' started by NetMidWest, Aug 24, 2006.

1. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    This is not a data refresh. It is a visible PR update.
    When the data refresh happens, you will hear about changes in the number of indexed pages, pages going and coming back from supplemental results, not 'My site has new PR'. I expect a data refresh any day now.

This is a PR update thread. PR we webmasters can see, not what Googleplex workers can (maybe) see... and accompanied by the backlink update, and reports of new sites getting first PR, it makes the case that this is no correction in PR, though it seems it may have been stopped in its tracks.

Any theories on why it has stopped, or why only some sites are seeing the PR update, Sem? That is what I wish to discuss...

NetMidWest, Aug 27, 2006 IP
  2. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I edited out the extraneous targets in your post that wouldn't listen anyways.

I'm guessing that they have moved to a model where they export a selection of sites on a few datacenters and then lock them in place so they can evaluate and check for errors before doing a general rollout. While I have no proof of why they are doing this, my guess would be that since this started after the March update, and since the March update was rife with errors, that it is somehow related. It might actually only be for the next few updates, we'll see.

-Michael

mvandemar, Aug 27, 2006 IP
  3. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you Michael.

The test for errors is probably the data refreshes we are seeing... which I don't think we should see much if everything is working well. I believe Matt Cutts said that they have been doing one every 4-6 weeks for a year and a half if I remember correctly, and no one really complained until after March.

And based on the last 2, it is due today. I would expect it to be during the workweek, though.

4. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I see your point but I also see many more saying nothings happened. Hard to argue that issue no?

As for what we may be seeing....After June 27th dump of pages with same meta data it seems ...then perhaps pages were redone with new meta data by those webmasters who were effected... and Google is placing them back on the SERPs... while rerunning PR update over the newly done pages??

From what I see there are still quite a few websites which have PR assigned to the index page, but everything underneath is zeroed out. (my own site included) .

So this may be some mini PR refresh ??? but this is not a full on IBL / PR Update that I keep mentioning...If it was there would be more posts here telling us such.

From my perspective I have all original content and each page has always had its own set of head tags that matched the page content. So why I lost all internal PR is beyond me... but I also do not sit and spin my wheels over it.

Now I am lucky enough not to depend on a search engine for traffic or revenues,, and perhaps do not need to concern myself with how the PR on mysites is doing... but that is not everyone's situation.

I think more than sitting here harping on whats a PR update and what's not a more important aspect we should teach others is PR has little to do with where your website will show up in the SERPs...

Peace

Sem-Advance, Aug 27, 2006 IP
  5. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry, but from the way you are going on about this you would think that someone was attacking your religion. I personally think you are qualified to teach anybody anything.

Google PageRank is the basis of thier ranking formula. Just because there are alarge number of people who have such a partial understanding of what that means, and think that "I have a PR6 website, why is it not ranking?" is a meaningful question, does not mean that it is discounted, or no longer means anything. While yes, there are over 100 factors that go into ranking a website, PR is still the #1 one that we are aware of and that has the most impact. Because you don't understand that does not give you the right to come here and slam others who happen to be talking about it, period.

Good. You are admitting you have no business whatsoever posting in this thread, cluttering things up for those trying to have a discussion. Go away. Please.

-Michael

6. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    I dont know who you think you are or where you get off trying to tell others what to do.

I do know after your immature threat of abusing me ...you have about as much credibility as George W. Bush

As far as arguing with you any longer... it is at best a futile pursuit.

You need to grow up a great deal and then when you act over 13 perhaps you'll have a point..

Done!

Sem-Advance, Aug 27, 2006 IP
  7. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    There is always the possibility this was intended to be a full on IBL/PR update, but engineers stopped it because they did not like what they see. I have not heard from someone with an established site report an increase...
    mattcutts.com went down, wowdirectory.com went down. :confused: I don't think either should have.

PR is if nothing else a reassurance that you are doing things properly... Google does not PR0 a page lightly. There has to be something wrong for a site or page with PR to suddenly find itself with none. A 302 hijack can PR0 a site, but I consider that a Google problem, though there are steps a webmaster can take to work around it. Google will never fix it, which means they are dictating changes in acceptable design and structure (linking absolutely, for one).

8. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Through this entire thread you try and tell us what we should and shouldn't discuss, and then you post a crap sentence like that?

I never threatened you, I asked you whether you were deliberately baiting me... how the hell is that a threat?

Good. Hopefully you'll stop then.

-Michael

9. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Somehow I doubt it... :rolleyes:

10. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah but I can hope. Without hope we are all doomed anyways.

Actually, sites do go down all the time. Yahoo used to be a PR10 IIRC. It happens because the internet itself grows, and PR is a relative scale. But yeah, I wouldn't actually expect Matt's site to drop.

-Michael

11. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So has the PR update begun? :rolleyes:

maldives, Aug 27, 2006 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  12. Nindja

Nindja Peon

Best Answers:
    my PR no update :(

Nindja, Aug 27, 2006 IP
  13. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    There is no PR update underway no matter what the OP says and with all the reds I received from people who cannot handle themselves being told they are wrong.

I do agree though that due to the Internet growing there is a dilution in PR value and why Yahoo is no longer a PR10..

Matt Cutts though deserves no special treatment more so or less than anyone else. In fact if he did receive special treatment....then that would show the nepotism of Google and at this point I doubt they want anyone going on a rant that they practice favoritism.

I will say there is some level of PR adjusting occuring for some sites...but I cannot see a pattern developing.

With the amount of posters (over 80% here) not seeing anything moving in their own sites.....everyone can rest assured this is not a full IBL / PR update!!!!!!!!

Sem-Advance, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  14. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Depends which PR you are referring to

Puerto Rico update Yes it is a great place to vacation.

Public Relations update - Yes public relations is updating daily.

Press Release update - Everytime someone releases a press release its an update

Google PageRank update -- NO
    ;)

15. fluid

fluid Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen no PR change either ...

fluid, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  16. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Watch you dont get a red from the OP for disagreeing....:rolleyes:

17. GoWFB_SEO

GoWFB_SEO Peon

Best Answers:
    really? I didn't see any changes for my PR?

maybe "no news is good news"

GoWFB_SEO, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  18. zangief

zangief Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see a page rank update but my serps are changing all the time.
    On one of my target keywords I am placed on the 3rd place , but if I look again one or two hours later and see this time I am on the first place.
    When I am on first place for that keyword , I am ranked 3 or 4 on all my other target keywords and before that I was 60th 0r 70th for them.
    I think there is a change.
    And it will be good for me if it happens as I expect :)

zangief, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  19. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it's not a real PR update, but very few sites changed PR..at least on some DCs

rehash, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  20. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    I see that mattcutts.com is now showing 5 across the board, wowdirectory.com and 14thc.com are showing the same results.

I see no other changes, only some reports of folks just finding out... beyond mattcutts.com it seems to have frozen.

Can you say MANIPULATION? How about FAVORITISM?

But the real question is... Do I now owe sundaybrew $2.50? :D

NetMidWest, Aug 30, 2006 IP