1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR is meaningless!

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Seiya, Dec 22, 2006.

1. ecolatur

ecolatur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, its true PR is meaningless in terms of SERP's , its something which is important for link sales more than SERP's. I agree that relativity has more value than PR for SERP's.
    Abhilash.

ecolatur, Dec 24, 2006 IP
  2. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    What my article was hoping to show is that link buyers and sellers shoudlnt focus on PR as much, there can be better PR0 sites to buy links on out there than PR5 which has say 1 backlink and somehow got the PR5.

Seiya, Dec 24, 2006 IP
  3. link_dev

link_dev Peon

Best Answers:
    I completely agree with you all that PR is meaningless. However search engines should not consider penalizing sites from selling links though. Buying/Selling links should be left to webmaster and google shouldn't interfere with this new business activity.

Google should admit that their PR algorithm has miserably failed and should come up with a different strategy to rank websites. However, instead of devising a new strategy or altering the algorithm, google is trying to penalize the sites selling/buying links. This is very bad.

link_dev, Dec 24, 2006 IP
  4. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    PR is important... dream on :D

I must agree that PR doesn't really matter at all, and people who are concerned on pagerank would be earning twice if they stop wasting time playing with Google.

Pat Gael, Dec 24, 2006 IP
  5. link_dev

link_dev Peon

Best Answers:
    Why?
    Help me understand the importance of PR to my traffic or organic growth?
    thanks

link_dev, Dec 24, 2006 IP
  6. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    I think he was being sarcastic :p

Seiya, Dec 24, 2006 IP
  7. pr0xy122

pr0xy122 Peon

Best Answers:
    I beleive that its important too.

pr0xy122, Dec 24, 2006 IP
  8. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    Well what i would like to say regarding is that, PR has a meaning. Well PR can tell you mainly how powerful a page is and whether it will pass any value if we buy a link on it or not?

THinking other way, PR is no way related to SEO. SEO is Search Engine Optimisation which practically means getting high ranks in Search Engine Result Pages (SERPS). And PR has nothing to do with SERPS. It is not necessary that a page with high PageRank does well in Organic SE Rankings. A page with low PR may rank higher and a page with High PR may rank lower also.

But offcourse PR tells us about the link power of a page :) ;) :D :p

aditya_sfs, Dec 24, 2006 IP
  9. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    a LOT of these replies are NOT replying to my article...

you guys are replying to the question "PR is meaningless" without bothering to read my article :) Which is not what this thread is about, but ok... green repped the replies that actually did read it and gave a reply related to it. :)

Seiya, Dec 25, 2006 IP
  10. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yeah true, ideally you would want to analyse the sites backlinks to see how it got the pagerank.

dcristo, Dec 26, 2006 IP
  11. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have a
    domain1.com redirected to a
    website.com/file

The domain1.com gets PR3

No advertising and averaging 3 uniques/day

Codythebest, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  12. parusa619

parusa619 Banned

Best Answers:
    It is ok to have a PR0 than a grey bar, LOL. PRs are used to measure the quantity of quality backlinks found in that website.

parusa619, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  13. mtb167

mtb167 Peon

Best Answers:
    I really liked your blog, but I think you need to go back to your statistics textbook. See. What you have found proves a correlation between cache and PR, but not a cause and effect relationship. At least not based on the evidence that you have presented in this blog.

Here is why I don't think cache is a good way to determine actual page rank...

There is a site out there called "addme.com" PR8 site. But it isn't updated every day, in fact, some times its not updated for several days (probably never more than a week though). I have record of it not being updated sometimes for over 5 days.

Or how bout this. Today is Dec 29th. Apple's Itunes, a PR10 page was last cached 4 days ago? How does that fit into the theory?

So I think that there is certainly some kind of relationship between cache dates and PR, I don't think that its the major determinant, or sign of high PR.

I will stand by my original idea of PR as a snapshot of a page's strength and trust as determined by Google. A higher page rank means that google trusts the page more. And the reason why sites with two backlinks have a page rank of 7 is because google trusts the domain.

We buy links from sites with high PR because the little green bar is google's way, albeit not very timely way, of telling us whether or not it trusts the links coming from that page.

mtb167, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  14. mtb167

mtb167 Peon

Best Answers:
    One more interesting point though - check this page out:
    Amazon Music Downloads (not an affiliate link, I promise)

That page ranks #4 for the term "music downloads" which is searched on something like 4 million times a month

Its PR is 0

mtb167, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  15. Rogem

Rogem Peon

Best Answers:
    I have PR5 and I do get quite a few hits. I think a good combination of SEO and PR will give you good hits.

Rogem, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  16. aksfinest

aksfinest Peon

Best Answers:
    Both of my sites have a PR0, the recipe site I have was just started this month and only has a link from my signature and my PR0 Seafood website.. originally it only had a link from the seafood website and it began to get crawled and indexed, matter of fact I'm already getting traffic from google for the site.

I say this to say that the PR tools are nothing, PR is constantly updated and people put way too much on the predictions.

aksfinest, Dec 29, 2006 IP