1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR Hype

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Booster, Jul 8, 2004.

I just don't understand all the hype about PR rated sites.

An example using another site PR5-

Google only shows 364 instances where their domain is listed on other web pages.

Also Alexa didn't have any info. on their site when I used IE 6.0+ "show related links"

Kinda goes to show you PR doesn't mean much and is hyped up. Actually its really all about how much the site takes in as revenue because thats what were all trying to accomplish. Theoretically more revenue probably has more links out there.

Another example-I have a credit site;
    http://www.CreditScoreBooster.com

Google shows 1,530 instances where my domain is listed on other web pages.
    Alexa ranking -724,000

PR? I don't know what it ranks and I don't really care.

Another site I own-
    http://www.USATrace.com
    Was told had a PR5 like the site above and it has 3,810 instances where the domain is listed on other web pages.Avg. Traffic Ranking: 145,332 Alexa
    Ranking.com 21,000
    Site makes 350,000k year

Does it really matter what the PR is on this site? NO!

Booster, Jul 8, 2004 IP
  2. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right about the money you earn is more important than PR, I think you will find no one who runs a business will disagree with you.

Just like being top of the serps is more important than PR

Not quite sure what you are trying to get at.

Many webmasters simply use PR as a level to show the effectiveness of there optimisation. Have PR3 website which changes to a PR6 because of backlinks you'll see a different in the serps, which could potentially bring in even more money.

DarrenC, Jul 8, 2004 IP
  3. Booster

Booster Peon

Best Answers:
    My exact point is Pr is Hype-

"Many webmasters simply use PR as a level to show the effectiveness of there optimisation. Have PR3 website which changes to a PR6 because of backlinks you'll see a different in the serps, which could potentially bring in even more money."

I understand your statement above, but I just don't agree with the PR being so important. In fact my research, experience(on-line sice 1997), and proof from other sites including my own sites, shows it doesn't matter what a sites "PR" is.

I believe webmasters have been concentrating (more like intently) lately on PR. I don't believe the PR rating of a site is remotely accurate as far as rating trafic=revenue.

I think webmasters should forget about their sites PR ad just concentrate on content and links one way or another.

Booster, Jul 8, 2004 IP
  4. Taz

Taz Peon

Best Answers:
    Booster,

I agree with you, there's no point if the website get PR5 or above but has a very low conversion ratio...

In the ideal world, we should have a great website with PR6 or above, receive thousands of unique visitors a day, and able to convert at least 5% of them to become our paying customers!

Amen... :D
    ____

Taz

Taz, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  5. nacho45

nacho45 Peon

Best Answers:
    My opinion is that the key to succesful rankings is targetted PR....so PR in and of itself, doesn't do much....but when you target it with anchor text, etc it can be very powerful...... and you have to have it to be able to target it

nacho45, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  6. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Were you trying to attract people to your affilliate program by stating how much your site makes or were you really just making the point about PR?

;) I really don't care either way - I'm just wondering.

Dominic, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  7. Booster

Booster Peon

Best Answers:
    No Dominic,

I don't think stating what the revenue is will attract affiliates, I was merely trying to make a point and thats the only way I felt I could with a comparison. Because revenue is the bottom line instead of PR

Affiliates only make up about 5% of revenue at the site.

Thes site Was featured about 2 years ago at Core* Ru*hl's secretstotheirsuccess*com

Booster, Jul 11, 2004 IP
  8. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    If you have a site that sells goods or services, sales serve as a way to measure the success of the site.

Informational site are harder to judge. PR, backlinks, alexa traffic rank, hits all give us feedback and some validation that we are doing something right. I have done a couple of church sites and site for club promoting Texas music. You can guess which site has the most traffic.

As you pointed out, if the site meets the needs for which it was designed it is doing well.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jul 11, 2004 IP
  9. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    It's hard to understand why this needless confusion persists.

PR is a very definite mathematical construct based solely on links and the PR of the linking pages.

SERPs are much less clear; they are definite enough to Google (or any search engine), but unclear to us, save that obviously many factors go into them, of which backlinks are an important one.

It is thus not surprising that high SERPs often accompany high PR, but that's because they derive from a common cause, not because one causes the other.

In some instances, especially for keyword phrases that are not strongly competitive, a quite low PR page (even 0) can be #1. ("Not strongly competitive" does not mean rare or obscure--it means few or no other pages make much play of the term, though they may mention it.)

Owlcroft, Jul 11, 2004 IP
  10. Mr T

Mr T Guest

Best Answers:
    At the end of the day, if you take two pretty much identical sites, one with PR3, one with PR6, the PR6 site is going to appear higher in Google's SERPs, so will get more visitors and make more profit.

Comparing PR:revenue across different categories is pointless though, PR is just a part of SERP for one SE, nevermind revenue.

Mr T, Jul 12, 2004 IP
  11. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Fair enough - sorry for the dig ;)

Yes I agree. But when a site is not making progress financially, seing small positives like getting new backlinks and higher pr and climbing the serps is positive feedback.

Thus the addictive nature for some... its the old stimulus / response motivator.

Dominic, Jul 12, 2004 IP
  12. domokun

domokun Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Mr T's duplicate content statement, after all, that was a tactice used by one of the 'UltraMarine' contestants. However, PR is not the be all and end all. I beleive the reason that so many are fanatical about it is that it appears as a simple green bar in the Google toolbar. i.e. its easy to see and its easy to understand. If the was and actual Optimisation bar (and there never could be due to the trully immense amount of factors considered when ranking a page) people would go nuts over this aswell.

domokun, Jul 12, 2004 IP
  13. Mr T

Mr T Guest

Best Answers:
    PR is the only factor which can always be improved, and the improvement is visible, all the others have a point of diminishing returns and arent really quantifyable anywhere.

Its easy to get hooked up on it. PR is important, so dont ignore it, but there are lots of other important factors that need attention too!

Mr T, Jul 12, 2004 IP
  14. PR10.info

PR10.info Guest

Best Answers:
    Hello :D

I can see the same hype about the PR here in Germany. ;)

Kind regards by Chantal :) Team PR10.info

PR10.info, Jul 12, 2004 IP
  15. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    There was a similiar thread to this, that I posted here

I agree totally. The only reason I care about PR, is so I can sell links to the people who actually think it is important.

Other than that, couldn't give a sh*t.

SEbasic, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  16. toddieg

toddieg Peon

Best Answers:
    SEbasic is ABSOLUTELY right. I couldn't give a crap about PR...it's mostly a little green bar that is used to LURE in link swappers, link buyers etc... I could have 1000 links pointed at my site that say 'click here' causing me to have a PR 8, but still no love from the search engines.

PR doesn't give you results in the search engines, good anchor text does. But even if you're #1 for a phrase that nobody types in, it still doesn't matter. What really matters if TRAFFIC! :cool:

toddieg, Jul 13, 2004 IP