1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR checker script

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Masetek, Nov 25, 2005.

1. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    I have no idea... it should work fine... edit your post and remove the php syntax highlighter... i meant no Syntax highlighting...

execute, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  2. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    I've noticed that the PageRank checker script uses a file logging thing. I mean it does an automated query, doesn't this somehow go against the ToS of Google?

I wonder if the GOOGLE_MAGIC definition they set at beggining of the script has something to do with google api??? Doesn't seem like it tho. Am I not allowed to use this script publicly?

execute, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  3. Masetek

Masetek Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats what I was thinking. Maybe I have to get my own key to put there?

Masetek, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  4. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    the GOOGLE_MAGIC number has nothing to do with the API, they use some crc32 like checksum code and this the number probably seed their code.

frankm, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  5. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    YEah i didn't think it did, becuase they would have to have used something to do with SOAP XML, and they didn't, but this is basically an automatic query, does this go against their ToS or not?? I mean can i use it in my website?

execute, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  6. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yup it is an automated query and yes they don't want that.

If you launch enough queries your IP can be blocked, not sure if it will influence sites hosts at that IP but why take the risk?

If you want to create a tool for this, get a cheap shared hosting account and run it on that server. Don't mess up your main sites with tools like these.

frankm, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  7. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm now if only someone can point out the theory of how google API works. Since they only have JAVA examples, I can't understand what this SOAP XML is,I am guessing it's just their way of using XML, but how does the procedure work, then I can design a script using their API and it would be allowed. Something like , "use the API key to send a query to google and then read their SOAP XML and get the info"-- thus, i don't really understand how it works.

I saw something about SOAP and PHP but not sure about that either. Any ideas?

Oh and btw Frank, http://www.twospots.com/keyword-position-checker/
    This site uses the same fopen thing (i believe), but they are not blocked, and they seem to be very popular, digital point however uses an XML SOAP API thingie. How is that site allowed to do this? :X

execute, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  8. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are many free tools online that get pagerank information. The fact this one hasn't been shutdown does not mean it is ok to create another tool like it.

From google TOS:
    you can argue it is not automated because a user enters a url, hits the submit button and your script goes to work, but why take the risk? That's what I tried to say in my previous post: If you are going to do it, do it from an IP that is not yours :)

You could also try to get this express permission from google ofcourse :)

frankm, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  9. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just to add

from http://www.google.com/intl/en/webmasters/guidelines.html

frankm, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  10. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok good point ... but im asking if you know anything about Google API that doesn't involve third party extensions/programs or libraries or whatever, that i can just program myself? I just need to know how the procedure works, and what the SOAP XML is and how to use it to check things with your API key.

execute, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  11. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok i believe i figured it out. Google uses SOAP, meaning you can send a POST message, with SOAP XML, with a content type of application/soap+xml (im not quite sure how to but) and then you give all the info in it, and then you will get a response, in SOAP format, and your script should read that. But still i am not sure how i will do it, i need to do more research!

execute, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  12. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    Heres the problem though, sending it. You can use PEAR::SOAP, which is a package but i hate that sort of thing, because its impossible for people like me who dont have much access in their web server to set settings and install things, although after a few ini_sets it is possible but hard to accomplish.

So now heres my question: I can make the XML document in SOAP format, however how do you POST SEND it? And where does it RESPOND?

I believe that it is sent to this address: http://api.google.com/search/beta2

So i am guessing you will either a) make a socket connection to that address and fputs and write in your XML document. with some http headers or something. b) use cURL to send the XML document in string format. using POST method.

But i am completely not sure how. If anyone can tell me or give me a link as to how to send the POST SOAP document to that address (unless its different) it would be greatly appreciated. And ofcourse how to receive it.

execute, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  13. letsjoy

letsjoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thnx ... this thread helped me alot

letsjoy, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  14. Skeleton

Skeleton Peon

Best Answers:
    This is something old, sorry for bumping but I am also getting the same error and I have figured out why. The reason is that at some Linux hosts the bitwise XOR operator ^ does not work for very big (or very small) numbers. This results a wrong CH value to query Google and a 403 error returns. I have tried to explain the problem here in detail. Anyone can help?

Skeleton, Jun 18, 2006 IP
  15. chris-T33

chris-T33 Peon

Best Answers:
    ok... so... in conclusion... is it or is it not allowed to use the PR checking scripts on websites? :-/

because even it's against the ToS i can se some sites still use this kind of scripts :|

chris-T33, Jun 30, 2006 IP
  16. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is allowed. Otherwise google would stop it.

mad4, Jun 30, 2006 IP
  17. xeno

xeno Peon

Best Answers:
    I have one that works. PM me if you are still interested.

xeno, Jul 1, 2006 IP