1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR 8 - Risky?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by coolsitez, Dec 11, 2006.

1. leftybogs

leftybogs Banned

Best Answers:
    yah its true that its really hard to have PR 8.. it takes time a lot of time..
    its risky if you are disobeying some rules in order to have a higher PR..

leftybogs, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  2. Blanket

Blanket Peon

Best Answers:
    blah blah blah. Wish you luck.

Blanket, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  3. astrojith

astrojith Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I dont care about PR anyway. I think it only helps when u're selling links. Unless it is crap. And, the google toolbar is as unprecise like a blunt knife.

astrojith, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  4. xlaz

xlaz Peon

Best Answers:
    xlaz, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  5. Brajeshwar

Brajeshwar Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't do any trick, I just found out one fine day day that my site - brajeshwar.com is with PR 8 and I see no issues with that.

Brajeshwar, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  6. Brajeshwar

Brajeshwar Peon

Best Answers:
    Oops sorry, I realized that this is the same thread that got referred to my site. Hey thanks guys.

7. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    What people need to understand is that although it is tough getting the links to achieve a pr 8 google can not stop you from doing so. Trust me, google does not have time to sit back and look at every single website on the net to see if they are getting real links or not. Everything is automated through there system so if you have the right links you will get a pr 8. Every update tons of sites jump to pr 8 and some to 9. Now I do think that if you somehow manage to get high pr of 8 or 9 and word starts to spread then google may come look at your site a little closer and if you are cheating somehow they may ban you, other than that there is no risk in reaching for high pr.

There are 1,000 of sites that have pr 8 and that have been updated to pr 8 in the last update who's links are no where close to being relevant, but the truth of the matter is they have the right links pointing the site which in the eyes of google is enough.

I would not worry about shooting for this if it is one of your goals, until google clearly shows that you will not get pr value from sites that are not relevant then all links are still fair game imo.

banless, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  8. tekmox

tekmox Member

Best Answers:
    Better to have tried then never tried at all.

tekmox, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  9. jacobkell

jacobkell Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Freesite.com is PR8.One of key is to get to have very popular content and link to us with banner section.

jacobkell, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  10. manageyourlinks

manageyourlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    I havn't seen a site whos "bought" there way to a PR8 ... PR7 on the other hand might be obtainable. To get a PR8 its going to take a tremendous amnt of links and surely alot of "natural" links

manageyourlinks, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  11. smon

smon Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, risky in what sense? You only have to worry if your site is filled with tons of artificial backlinks, not if you're doing it in a morally upright way.

smon, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  12. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have already suspected this "Google tendency". Have you seen sites that got PR6 or PR7 so suddenl, and in the next update they got PR4 or even PR0?

I think that Google may start watching you once you break PR5 wall. It's just my observation and guess. But I have seen many high PR sites get lost their PR. You see, it's not too hard to get PR5 or PR6. Sometimes even with a risky SEO. But once you get there, I think you should be careful...

I understand that there is NO risk if you never purchase a link...
    So again, time (and quality content) are the factors for a site to be PR8? Let it sit and grow or don't bother? Hey remember this is SEO forum, so I am asking my question in terms of SEOing a website.

Or should I search for a way to grow a website PR8 without SEO then?

coolsitez, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  13. coolsitez

Best Answers:
    Really, that's the ideal way to get to PR8! Congrats!

coolsitez, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  14. Brajeshwar

Brajeshwar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, is the reverse true then?
    I mean I have never bought a link from outside but people buy lotta links from me. So, what will Google think of my site?

15. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I have seen this before. There are only 2 reasons that I know of that will cause this to happen. (1) The site has been caught cheating somehow, mainly through stealing the page rank. (2) The site has lost most of the backlinks that made it a high pr. Most of the time it is because of reason #2, Alot of people go and buy up a bunch of high pr links just so they can get a high pr and then once they get it they think that they do not have to do anything else, as if the page rank will stay the same forever.

Once you get the links that made you a high pr you need to keep those links otherwise the page rank will start to fall, the best thing to do is to keep those links and build more, this way you have yourself covered. But that can be expensive for some, mainly if all the links you have are links that you bought from high pr sites. This is why it good to buy links for at least 6 months at a time instead of 1,2, or 3.

Like I said it is a must that you keep those links otherwise you run a big risk of losing the pr you worked so hard to get. I also see this alot in people who go out buy domains with high page rank on them, 9 times out 10 those site will tank on the next update because the new owner has done nothing to replace those links. I just canceled 4 pr 7 links and it makes me a little nervouse because although those links are recorded in my google backlinks page rank has still not updated according to the current backlinks, but I could no longer find a way to justify the cost anymore, I get more higher pr links for less so those links have already been replaced, still it would have been nice to keep them.

If you are going to build a site for high pr then you may as well do it with some seo behind it as well, kill 2 birds with one stone, the results will be twice as good so why not take it.

banless, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  16. Overseas

Overseas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Brajeshwar, G loves your site, you have plenty to be proud of ... also 23 .edu's also love your site and postings, i stumbled upon your site a few months ago, and seen recently your offerings on Iwebtool.

It's nice to see some of your graphic pals have similar high pr sites ... really well done you guys! Hats of to you!

Overseas, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  17. adacprogramming

adacprogramming Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google doesn't care if you buy or sell links. Thats what adwords and adsense are. They have stated though, that it should only be for traffic purposes and they would like you to put the "no follow" on that link to show you are not trying to sell PR.

As long as you are not linking to bad sites, it should not hurt you. However, if you get Googles attention they may make it so that your links to the site do not pass PR. That would only affect the person buying the link.

adacprogramming, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  18. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Not all PR8 sites deserve it and many have been penalized in the past.

Blogmaster, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  19. Scorpiono

Scorpiono Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since a website like youtube got PR8, then do you think its rather though than risky? :) I share the same oppinion as you after reading this..cheers

Scorpiono, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  20. coolsitez

Best Answers:
    It is now PR7. I hope he gets his PR8 in the coming update.

coolsitez, Jul 21, 2007 IP