1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR 5 to 0

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jdev, Aug 2, 2004.

I have 2 domain names, one of which points to the other. One ranks well on Google, the other on Yahoo. Just the other day the PR on both domains dropped from 5 to 0. The secondary domain is arranged so that the url stays the same even though the content resides under the other domain. This is what it looks like:
    SEMrush
    www.maindomain.com/page1
    www.seconddomain.com/page1

These pages both reflect the same content. Is this format against Google's duplicate content rules? It seems fairly obvious that it is but it would be awful to lose a good ranking on one search engine. Should I just not worry about losing the PR, the site has stayed near the top. Thanks for any suggestions.

jdev, Aug 2, 2004 IP
    SEMrush
  2. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    This is duplicate content. Fullstop.

The PR problem could just be a temporary glitch and anyway is of no real importance in getting your positions.

However you do run a real risk with your duplicate content so IMHO I would rewrite the content sufficiently for the SE to notice the difference without altering the positions.

Foxy, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  3. dilipsam

dilipsam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The answer is simple:

Using robots.txt file ban yahoo from visiting one site and ban google from visiting. Also keep in mind that you dont ban the site from google where it has fetched a ranking already.

Regards,
    Dilip Samuel

dilipsam, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  4. jdev

jdev Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks, I will try the robots.txt dissallow to see if the PR comes back.

jdev, Aug 3, 2004 IP