1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PPC advertising for content sites

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by star2323, Dec 20, 2005.

Does PPC advertisting for content sites work? I mean lets say you have a site about dogs. It contents all kinds of articles talking about dogs, how to train them, take care of them, etc.......

You have adsense ads on the dog site. Now if you use PPC e.g. adwords then won't you just be breaking even?

The ads which get you targeted traffic are the same ads on your site so they balance out?

Does this make sense?

star2323, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  2. ozgression

ozgression Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, ppc advertising does work for content sites. Especially when the site is new as it is a quick way to get initial traffic.

ozgression, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  3. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's kind of common knowledge...

sixty6, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  4. star2323

star2323 Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you give me some tips on using PPC advertising on content sites? How do I keep costs low but still get good targeted traffic?

star2323, Dec 21, 2005 IP
  5. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well if your PPC Engine has time settings so make it in the evening, usually when a web page gets the most visits.

In addition, pay the cheapest price and eventually the other ads will run out of their daily budget and yours will be displayed!

sixty6, Dec 21, 2005 IP
  6. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    That varies by industry and other criteria. Analyze your industry and it's trends to make an informed decision. If I followed your advice with my current projects I would miss out on 75% of my total traffic.

ummmm, no. You have no idea what other people have in terms of a budget. You should bid an amount that drives an acceptable level of traffic at an acceptable ROI.

star2323, the using AdWords to generate Adsense revenue is a faulty business model that never holds up for very long. More likely than not you'll end up "chasing pennies" and nothing more.

You would probably be better off adding some affiliate revenue models to your content site in addition to the ads - you'll have a higher probability of making money, both short and long term, that way.

GuyFromChicago, Dec 21, 2005 IP
  7. Makin_Coin

Makin_Coin Guest

Best Answers:
    Have you tried doing it with sites like search123.com. You can buy it for a nickle a click there. Then when you get the adwords clicks its more.

Makin_Coin, Dec 24, 2005 IP
  8. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I mostly agree with GuyFromChicago - I think it doesn't work very well with 95% of sites - however, if you can find the 5%, you can make a lot more than pennies - even by someone who isn't close to being an adwords pro.

mjewel, Dec 24, 2005 IP
  9. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I thought Bidvertiser shows your competitors keyword biddings and daily budgets....not sure though because I stopped using it.

sixty6, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  10. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I've never seen anyone make any significant $ ($x,xxx+) on a monthly basis, for multiple months, using the Adwords for Adsense business model.

GuyFromChicago, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  11. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What about $xx,xxx per site, after costs? :)

mjewel, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  12. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Haven't seen that either.

I spent quite a bit of time testing this whole theory awhile back and never found a formula that was scalable enough for my liking.

I suppose you could use Adwords to jack up your traffic and clicks/revenue, take a loss for few months, then sell the site to some sucker for an inflated price who doesn't bother to check where the traffic came from.

13. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have never sold a site - and I'm talking about a legitimate site that receives the vast majority of traffic from PPC. I know for a fact that it can be done, but it works only in a small percentages of circumstances. It's a trial and error process that took many sites and many hours of experimentation before the right ones were found. It does NOT work in a large percentage of cases - although you could make a few hundred a month on a larger percentage. As you increase your PPC to increase traffic, your profit declines to a point where it absorbs any profit. And I'll add that most sites will lose money on it from day one, which is why you should experiment will a small budget that you can afford to lose.

There are at least six key factors that you need before it will work, and it starts will ad copy that is going to result in a higher CTR, which as you know, gives you placement above others bidding much more. You then need a quality site that is going to grab the visitors attention, or they are quick to exit.

mjewel, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  14. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I don't think I understand what you're trying to tell me. A little more hypothetical detail?

15. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'll pm you.

mjewel, Dec 27, 2005 IP