1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

posting the same content on Facebook and Twitter?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by wheelstb, Apr 23, 2014.

Hi,

I'm doing some social media work for a small business. Some people seem to think it's a good idea to post the same content on Facebook and twitter. To me it seems like a better idea to post completely independent content.

Since I am the one doing the work, it would be a lot easier to post the same content. It seems to me like it would be better to post completely different content on each platform. This way, it would give people a reason to follow you on both platforms.

What have you guys found in regards to this?
    Thanks in advance for the help.

wheelstb, Apr 23, 2014 IP
  2. nixande

nixande Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook and Twitter are outposts - they should always lead back to your blog / homepage in the end.

I usually post the same content to both plattforms, but with adaptation:
    I post through buffer to 'schedule' them differently (I have a full queue, so they go out on different times) but add different information as you can have only 140 characters on twitter, but more on Facebook.

This way, while sharing the same content, I get different results. Assuming that oyu also want to do their "own" content, I would do similar - post the same content, but slightly different timing and different amount of text / information in it. This however is just sending - it is not engaging with followers, answering questions etc, that is a different beast. However, do not share automatic postings from fb to twitter - they react highly badly to this.

nixande, Apr 23, 2014 IP
  3. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to change up the text a bit in my Facebook and Twitter posts, partly to adapt to the 140 character limitation in Twitter.

danasurvey, Apr 23, 2014 IP
  4. Sam42

Sam42 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I always change my posts a bit for twitter. But the core information is the same.

Sam42, Apr 24, 2014 IP
  5. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It will depend on the needs of your audience so if you think that they must be updated because of the world cup (for example) you must post more often for the latest events or games that will happen and this will be the most important role to help your clients.

KylieSweet, Apr 24, 2014 IP
  6. LenKaiser

LenKaiser Member

Best Answers:
    Probably would be best to post things a bit differently on each platform. There are different ways of engaging people on either platform and if you make the posts interesting enough they will like or follow you/your client.

Facebook: As stated above you get more options with Facebook and can post more content so personally I would post the entire content that I wanted for that post or day let's say in Facebook. There is a scheduling option in Facebook as well so you do not have to be hovering over your PC all day monitoring it. i have found that when posting stuff on Facebook it always helps to post a visual or a photo. It usually will generally catch the attention of people who are reading your page. If you want to get people involved and engaged in the content then post stuff that will engage them such as ask a question of those who follow/like your page. Once you start doing that you will see a significant increase in likes.

Twitter: Again as stated above Twitter only allows for 140 characters so you have to narrow it down, but make sure that you take the highlights or the best part of your Facebook content and post it to Twitter.

I'm sure you know that there are options to link the Facebook & Twitter accounts. I'm assuming this is what you mean by posting the same thing. This can be done but for a business is generally frowned upon. If people follow you in both places they will notice that its the same old thing and they may unfollow you which no one in this business wants that.

LenKaiser, Apr 24, 2014 IP
  7. Jen 101

Jen 101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen competitors who post the exact same information on all their social accounts. However, I agree with what the others are saying here. I would suggest changing it up a bit, you can still share the same blog posts on each account but change the description.

Jen 101, Apr 25, 2014 IP
  8. Asmat Zehra

Asmat Zehra Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Small Business runners do this as they never know how to run social sites in start, but if we follow some establish business Facebook and Twitter pages we will notice different posts on both social sites. And its always better to keep content different for both sites.

Asmat Zehra, Apr 25, 2014 IP
  9. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I personally don't see the point of posting different content, let alone completely different. This can be because of the nature of the posts tho (which I think is the reason people have such different opinions). As they are used by our company as business pages, then we are sharing content from our website or blog and linking back to it. So in its essence the linked content is the same in all social media. Of course, the description is different, as you are limited in networks like Twitter. But apart from that I don't see the point of posting different content in those places, as the user base is different. If I post my new article in FaceBook only then how would by Twitter and G+ followers know about it. Sure, there might be people that follow me in all networks but I doubt they would be irritated by the same link in all places, as they should be expecting it, joining all possible channels ;) All in all you need the great, engaging content. Everything else is slight modifications.

Rado_ch, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  10. LenKaiser

LenKaiser Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed, and its fine to like something from your web page and have it shown on Facebook or Twitter to gain some traffic, BUT you should offer other content on Twitter, Facebook etc than just liking posts from your business or web page. If you want serious traffic then you should consider making personal posts as well as what you are promoting on your web site.

LenKaiser, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  11. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, but of course, that is beside the point. If you don't have the quality and engaging content your users will get bored of you and leave regardless of your posting habits ;)

Rado_ch, Apr 26, 2014 IP