1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Posting on Facebook as a photo or a link.

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by Dana C. Beck, Feb 23, 2017.

This may be common knowledge to many of you but for me it was an "aha" moment. Don't know why I never realized this before but here's what I discovered.

When posting on your Facebook page if you write your copy with a link and then add a picture afterwards, Facebook identifies this post as a link. Example, if you type something like:

Come check out my great widgets, you'll love them! "http://mysite.com" and then add a picture, Facebook will identify this as a link.

But, if you post a picture on your Facebook page and then where it says "Say something about this picture" and add the exact same text as in the above example, Facebook will then identify this as a picture.

I experimented with this by posting on my Facebook Page my text (copy) first, and then added a picture. Facebook (as mentioned above) categorized this as a link. So as a result, my reach was around 3 -4 people.

But when I first posted a picture and then where it said "say something about this picture" I added the exact same text as in the first example, my reach was over 50 people!

I was quite surprised at this difference! As I had mentioned, I know this may be common knowledge to many of you, but for me it was something that I didn't know before so I wanted to share it with the community here in case there was someone else who didn't know this like me!

Hopefully some of you got value out of this.

Cheers!

Dana C. Beck, Feb 23, 2017 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Thanks for the tip.

Are you saying to add an image first, removing it, then adding the video in the same window, so that the post is tagged as a photo for greater reach?

dcristo, Feb 27, 2017 IP
  3. Dana C. Beck

Dana C. Beck Active Member

Best Answers:
    No what I was referring to is the order in which you post a photo or video on your Facebook page.

Text then Image or video: If you post your text first and then add a picture / video, Facebook identifies this as a link and as such, the post doesn't seem to get a very broad reach.

Post Image or video then add text: However, if you post your image / video first and as stated in my previous post above, add text where it says "say something about this picture" then Facebook identifies this as an image / video and because of this, the reach seems to be dramatically higher.

so again, it's the order in which you post text and images / videos on your Facebook page that I was emphasizing. You don't need to add then remove the image or video. Hopefully this helps to clarify this a little bit.

Dana C. Beck, Feb 28, 2017 IP
  4. Dana C. Beck

Best Answers:
    Oh and I forgot to mention, this is only applicable if you have a link in your text. I haven't tried this theory just using plain text without a link in the text. Hope this isn't too confusing, LOL :D

5. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Thanks for the clarification.

I've always added the video before the text.

I'm finding that FB much prefers image posts.

dcristo, Feb 28, 2017 IP
  6. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Another way to approach this is to paste the link into the text area, wait for the picture or the link page to materialize below, and then delete the URL and add your text without it. The pic below stays and is a link.

JoeSpirit, Feb 28, 2017 IP
  7. Dana C. Beck

Best Answers:
    You are so very right!!! :D :D

8. Dana C. Beck

Best Answers:
    yeah, I believe that will work too. Thanks for the post...