1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Possible to use dedicated server IP for personal proxy?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Cyrus255, Aug 16, 2009.

I was wondering if it is possible to set up a personal proxy using a dedicated server I have root access to. I'm not interested in commercial proxies. I just want my IP at home to show up as my server IP for a simple purpose.

I'd basically want to be able to set it up like any other password protected dedicated proxy for personal use. If it's possible (or not), please tell me.

Thank you for your time.

Cyrus255, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  2. Janak

Janak Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not thing if it is possible.

Janak, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  3. rldowling03

rldowling03 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You mean web based proxy such as Glype?? Thats simple

Or do you mean a proper proxy where you put your server IP into your browser proxy settings and it will browse through your server as a proxy??

Well that is possible, I am doing it right now through my VPS Server.

You just have to install squid proxy and then configure it to listen on the IP you want, then optionally choose a port then specify which IP addresses can use the proxy, or you can keep it open :)

rldowling03, Aug 16, 2009 IP
    Cyrus255 likes this.
  4. Cyrus255

Cyrus255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, with just a Virtual Private Server? (redundant server just fyi).

Thanks for the point in the direction. Amazed at how quickly and efficiently digitalpoint always answers my questions. Green rep for you!

I'll be giving it a try, but if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd appreciate further info on the subject, if there is any. Or alternative software, etc.

Cyrus255, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  5. rldowling03

rldowling03 Notable Member

Best Answers:

I have searched for other software and have come up short on reliable ones. Squid is the best way to go for this

http://www.squid-cache.org

If you need any help setting it up, feel free to PM me as I am always willing to help people out :)

rldowling03, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  6. raffo77

raffo77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can do all you want with Dedicate server!
    Install Squid for socks, ftp, http proxy..
    or install remote desktop for using the browser of the server and run other application like your PC..
    Also install and configure a VPN, so you can share your private network with many other users.

raffo77, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  7. GNetCoder

GNetCoder Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll add another software option for you: OpenVPN

However, If you want a quick-and-dirty option, assuming you are running windows and your server is linux and you have SSH access:

You will need Putty from here:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

In the same folder as putty.exe, create myproxy.bat file and edit it with notepad. add the following:

start putty.exe -D 1088 -P 22 -ssh serverip -l root -pw password
    Code (markup):
    replace 'serverip' with your server ip address or hostname. Replace 'password' with your (assuming you are using the root account) root password.

Save, close and doubleclick to connect to your server. If that goes successfully, open your browser (I'll assume firefox), click Tools, Options, Advanced, Network, Settings. Choose 'Manual Proxy' and delete any configuration options. In the 'Socks Host', put 127.0.0.1 in the IP and 1088 as the host.

Close the dialog and try to pull a web page. You should now be surfing on the IP address of your server.

GNetCoder, Aug 24, 2009 IP
    nobluff likes this.
  8. Thamster

Thamster Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tip GNetCoder! Though, there is an even easier way that works cross platform. If you are on linux /mac/cygwin and have ssh installed you can simply do.

ssh username@yourserver -D 1088
    Code (markup):
    and if you set up your ssh keys correctly you don't even need to type in a password.

I should have done this years ago. If you're in Canada and want to surf american sites (Hulu/Netflix/Abc/Hbo/etc), dreamhost is a great cheap shared server that allows ssh access and has great download speeds for personal use. They'll ban you if you make it publicly accessible though.

Cheers

Thamster, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  9. GNetCoder

GNetCoder Peon

Best Answers:
    My 'other computer' is an ubuntu desktop, and you are correct, it is a bit easier that way :)

Alas, I must needs iTunes, so this is how I make my iTunes purchases on my M$ box while working abroad, and my wife keeps up with abc.com :)

GNetCoder, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  10. chetanmadaan

chetanmadaan Active Member

Best Answers:
    guys,

i tried this thing

ssh username@yourserver -D 1088
    PHP:
    but at the end of it... it just gave me a message saying... you are using the server in this mode.

that's it.

how do we setup the proxy here.

chetanmadaan, May 12, 2010 IP
  11. Mike-XS

Mike-XS Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sure it's possible. If you have SSH access then this is a very simple solution using Putty to tunnel your connections.
    Should only take a couple of minutes to setup.

Use PuTTY as a secure proxy on Windows
    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=421

Mike-XS, May 12, 2010 IP
  12. nobluff

nobluff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

This worked for me. The only thing I couldnt do was change the serverip to a second ip from my server. It always used the ist serverip I entered.

nobluff, Jul 5, 2013 IP