1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Possible Problem with the audits at Chitika

Discussion in 'Chitika' started by yirmumah, Nov 30, 2005.

1. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    Could losing so much of your referral revenue be due to that fact that a lot "jumped ship" before the audit... I wonder...

I believe Chitika has to be more upfront about their audit system or a lot more will "jump ship".

Just mentioning which countries are not allowed... if just not enough information...

ElvisFan, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  2. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I already said my goodbye's this morning. Never screw a webmaster over on the first of the month. It's too easy scheduling-wise for them to drop you. ;)

GeorgeB., Dec 1, 2005 IP
  3. Jenstar

Jenstar Active Member

Best Answers:
    15%

No, this was referral revenue from October. It is detailed per day, so anyone jumping ship in the last few days would not affect that referral revenue.

Jenstar, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  4. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks, I made an updated list here:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=470413

blinxdk, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  5. Jiraiya

Jiraiya Peon

Best Answers:
    There aren't any drastic changes in my overall audit this month, however, I am now worried about my next month because I am expecting a bit more from them.

Jiraiya, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  6. chris7

chris7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I suppose the problem with daily auditing is they would lose 2 months of revenue from a lot of people, quite a few are trying it out and since it is a month behind it gives them chance to do a runner with all the profits ;)

After a decent month I was considering dropping other advertisers altogether, I haven't experienced drops anything like everyone else ~ 20% max for me (which is still high imo!) but these long threads are stopping me from moving to chitika properly

p.s Sam the site in your sig is whoring chitika bigtime, probably time to get that editted :)

[edit] - The other side of the coin can be read here -> http://www.kbcafe.com/adwords/?guid=20051201074537 - Good possible explanation imo

chris7, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  7. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    That is some rather hard accusations he writes there, I've lost around 50% and I can guarantee that I have never been involved in any type of click fraud. Ofcouse, those who have will say the same.. but still.. arrgh! :)

blinxdk, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  8. AhmedF

AhmedF Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting - went down 40%. The site it was on was pure SE traffic, of which 90% is US+Canada.

AhmedF, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  9. izahan

izahan Peon

Best Answers:
    ProBlogger made a good post about all this. Have a read.

izahan, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  10. radiolistings

radiolistings Peon

Best Answers:
    In their FAQ it says they remove repeated clicks from the same IP, so it could be that only one click per person per day(?) is counted.

radiolistings, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  11. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    Audited stats for October are up.

I think we have to remember that none of them are perfect...what about Google Adsense's smart pricing? mid XX clicks for a low X. At least with Chitika I can taylor my keywords and keep the high paying ones.

Dekker, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  12. jcomm

jcomm Peon

Best Answers:
    I lost 14% to audit for October... a little better than expected.

Joel

jcomm, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  13. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    "....any invalid clicks such as: repeated clicks from the same ip"

I do believe this is the problem with my 25% audit decrease for my website as I do have the same visitors (IP's) returning on a daily if not more than once a day to check my daily updates on both my Elvis sites...

Now since Chitika ads rotate every time you refresh the page and as some of my visitors may notice another Elvis item they did not see the first time they visited...

Is there a way around this problem of "repeated clicks from the same ip" within a 24 hour period...

As most of my visitors are USA, Australia and UK based from what I see in my stats...

Any suggestions?.. .thanks....

ElvisFan, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  14. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not within a 24 hour period, just about an hour.

"What we typically look for is repeated clicks from the same IP address in a short period of time. If 1 person clicks on an ad 3 times, yes it only counts as 1."

Dekker, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  15. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    Does that include all sites... or just one person clicking on a ad on one site and then clicking on an ad on another site?

ElvisFan, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  16. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand what you mean....if a person from the same IP is clicking on your ads frequently within a short time period it'll be audited away, doesn't matter which sites they do it on.

Dekker, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  17. webminor

webminor Peon

Best Answers:
    Chitika needs to be more transparent.

Testing, Testing

I push substantial targeted traffic, which converts at a rate above the industry average, to a variety of affiliate programs. For the month of November, I sent Chitika some of this traffic. The unauditied numbers look very good, which would ordinarily encourage me to send them more traffic, however....

Where should I push the traffic during December?

I do not know the November figures from Chitika, and won't have them until 31st of December. Without these figures, I cannot plan the traffic distribution for this month. December is not a month any e-commerce webmaster wants to get wrong. Therefore, I am left with little option but to shut off the Chitika traffic until the November figures are published.

Next Step

I would like to push more traffic to Chitika during December.

Here's what I'd like Chitika to do:

Publish the audited figures for November in the next few days
    Open a dialogue with publishers to address concerns
    Respond to enquiries

The ball is in their court.

webminor, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  18. SamOwen

SamOwen Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Chitika should stop showing unaudited revenue. This is what is causing most of the negativity towards them. The unaudited revenue gets publishers excited, then when the audited revenue comes around... oh boy...[​IMG]

SamOwen, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  19. yirmumah

yirmumah Peon

Best Answers:
    The real problem so far is the actual amount of drop. I expect SOME of the clicks to be cut.. but wow.... according to my google analytics traffic, matched up with their numbers, i can rule out the india and china traffic, I dont get much at all. The majority of my traffic is US, CAN and UK.

So the only thing left is someone doing multiple clicks on the units. But since I have a daily webcomic, where people cruise the archives back and forth, and return to the blog throughout the workday, I would expect them to click more than once.

Hopefully, the system levels out over time. I'm willing to give them a shot, because I like the system and control they have, but I'm not happy with the audits... with the alternative urls in place, if the high audit amounts continue, something is definitly not right.

yirmumah, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  20. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I lost 25% audit for October. I have chitika on 2 Blogs. But my blogs are half in german language and half in english. Most visitors come from germany and the clicks I think. I will go on testing it.

Wally, Dec 4, 2005 IP