1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Possible Fake Account

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by Jamie Mercer, Mar 14, 2018.

Since hearing a conspiracy theory about Russian operatives using fake Facebook accounts to sway public opinion about elected representatives, I've become a little paranoid.

Today I took notice to a particular commenter who seemed to go out of his way to slander my countries leader so I checked out his profile and noticed that he has a post on his profile from Jan. 1, 1995! How is that possible?

Given my technical background, I know it's not entirely impossible for someone skilled enough to create a fake account through a direct database injection, and human error lead to a typo under the post date column in their sheet because the year coincides with the post which was regarding where and when he graduated high school. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Jamie Mercer, Mar 14, 2018 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd start by looking at their api and seeing if that lets you set the date of the tweet rather than assuming they're all "real time".

and I'd report that old tweet and see if anything happens to it.

want to share a link or screenshot?

sarahk, Mar 14, 2018 IP
  3. Jamie Mercer

Jamie Mercer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice. I'd rather not paypa look or pic right now for the privacy of the person just in case I'm wrong, but when I view it on my PC instead of my phone it just says 1995, but when you mouse over it it says posted June 13, 2013. Very strange. I have reported the account to be reviewed. If I'm wrong that would make me feel better.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Jamie Mercer, Mar 15, 2018 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    oh, duh, sorry, for some reason my mind was fixed on twitter.

Back in the day facebook used to have years running down the side of a user's feed. Now you only see it in the activity log

upload_2018-3-16_8-56-23.png

I just uploaded a photo and changed it's date so maybe that's how it was done.
    upload_2018-3-16_9-2-36.png

sarahk, Mar 15, 2018 IP