1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Possible bank failures on the way

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Bernard, Feb 8, 2008.

1. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Metals traditionally have been safe investments. You could also try your luck by holding some foreign currencies, Euros, Canadian/Australian dollars, Swiss Francs, British Pounds.

If there is a serious problem with the financial system, you want to have your "cash" in a couple diverse formats, and ideally, you want to have zero debt.

I'd say the first and most important step, is to first be debt free.

guerilla, Feb 8, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  2. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Unfortunately, I am in debt. I think if the value of the dollar declines, I may have to work twice as hard to pay it off. I think I will retire my credit cards now and start working on that.:eek:

Rebecca, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  3. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Land is a good investment if you live in an area that has good farmland. You can rent it and cover your taxes. However, interest rate hikes will lower the value of both gold and land.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket

bogart, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  4. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    For me my assets are in Australia, currency seemed strong at this moment :) . But US dollar really drop a lot, it is not distant memory that it was 1.6 to 1, now it is only 1.1 to 1. Can't imagine the inflation. I think Gold is still the best easier to convert to cash when needed compared to land.

wisdomtool, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  5. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see any major bank failures happening. Besides if one bank fails, another will sooner or later rise up to take it's place and niche.
    Weeding out of the weak links in the economy is always a good idea, right ?

And i'd like to think there are people with good ideas and lot of experience in handling these kinds of situations at the administration and management of the banks and the economy. Otherwise, we are headed somewhere bad ......

lightless, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  6. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    Nope, banks are different from normal companies, IMHO what you mention applies definitely to normal companies, but banks holds other peoples' cash in their hands and from there lends out to others. When they have $100, they can loan $1000 to others for eg. So a bank failure has far more profound effect than a normal company failure given their multiplier effects.

wisdomtool, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  7. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    The Wall Street Crash of 1929 took out a ton of smaller banks - and that was with a Federal Reserve.

Currently in the UK we have what's called "The Northern Rock Crisis," where a banking institution was about to go down the tubes due to over-optimistic management investment strategies (or something like that) - the UK Govt has had to bail it out to the tune of £26 billion (approx. $52 billion).

BBC - Northern Rock Crisis
    Telegraph - Northern Rock Crisis

So anyone who says 'banks won't or can't crash' is just plain wrong.

mcfox, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  8. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In the early 1980's and the end of the 1980's early 1990's plenty of savings and loans failed (in fact probably a vast majority) as did some banks.

Those that were becoming insolvent merged into other institutions. There was enormous consolidation. All funds remained protected. I wouldn't worry about it at this time.

earlpearl, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  9. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The great majority of banks are fine.

You can buy a mutual fund or an Exchange trade fund that invest in gold as a direct way to buy gold.

A lot of people believe that the recent rise in Gold has been attributed to demand from India and China, now if you believe that US is heading towards downfall, it will clearly drag other countries down with them including the ones dependent on the US consumer for exports like China. Which would hurt demand for gold and hence the price of gold would fall.

soniqhost.com, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  10. soniqhost.com

Best Answers:

The banks failed because the Federal Reserve could lend more money into the banks because of the gold standard.

11. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The subprime mess is already causing havoc in Europe with the Northern Rock bank failure of US$49 billion and the recent Société Générale's €4.9bn trading loss that caused a world wide stock market plunge.

bogart, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  12. soniqhost.com

Best Answers:
    The Société Générale's €4.9bn trading loss had nothing to do with the subprime mess, he just kept making bets that the stock market will kept increase without offsetting the downside risk.

13. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    bogart, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  14. soniqhost.com

Best Answers:
    True, but it also illustrates my point, the pain of the sub prime mess is spread around so the likely hood that one banks will fail because of the sub prime mortgage mess is very small. It would be another thing if the banks that helped underwrite the mortgage actually held them on their books.

15. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    With the inflated home prices in the bubble markets, a lot of banks face steep losses.

bogart, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  16. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    It is not spread out, it is like a rolling snow ball gathering more and more snow as it rolls......

wisdomtool, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  17. soniqhost.com

Best Answers:
    That is false, unless your debt is in a denominated in a foreign currency or your pay wage goes down, your debt or how much you have to work to pay it off won't change.

The only reason you know that the currency rises or falls is only because your able to track it against other currencies.

soniqhost.com, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  18. soniqhost.com

Best Answers:
    Every major wall st firm has written off debt associated with the subprime mortgage, you also have banks in Europe who had exposure to subprime debt, as well as banks in China. You had a hedge fund in Australia close because of its exposure to the sub prime sector and you had hedge funds in the united states that did the same. You also have had pension funds and stock brokerage firms also write off sub prime mortgage debt, the point is the list is pretty wide, but the debt that they are writing off isn't while large in total numbers not large enough to put them in bankruptcy which is what my point was. A lot of people effected yet the pain is not as bad as if only two banks held all the subprime mortgage debt.

soniqhost.com, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  19. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    bogart, Feb 17, 2008 IP
  20. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    Nationalized means that all liabilities will be assumed by the govt which effectively means tax payers money

wisdomtool, Feb 17, 2008 IP