1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pointing my domain name to my server

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by dmvictoria, Sep 30, 2015.

Hi,

I've set up a LEMP server in my home and want to point my domain name to it. I seem to be running into walls of exactly how to do this, and I'm noobish in this area. If anyone can link up a tutorial I can go through, that would be much appreciated.

dmvictoria, Sep 30, 2015 IP
  2. samirj09

samirj09 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First you are going to need to forward port 80 on your router to your homebox. Next, assuming you have a static IP address, create a A record for your domain pointing it to your IP address. If you don't have a static IP address, you may want to look into something like http://dyn.com/dns/

After this point, you should be all set and the domain just needs to be configured on your webserver.

samirj09, Sep 30, 2015 IP
  3. dmvictoria

dmvictoria Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I think I was over thinking things a little bit. I was reading all this info on setting up Bind and having my own DNS server, I just thought it was over kill for what I needed. So, all I did was go into my GoDaddy account, click on the DNS Zone tab for my domain and add my server IP address and have GoDaddy resolve my DNS for me. It was that easy in the end. Just wish I knew how to do that a few days ago, now I know way to much about the DNS System and servers ;)

dmvictoria, Oct 1, 2015 IP
  4. jdjenkins

jdjenkins Active Member

Best Answers:
    Write a blog about your experiences!

jdjenkins, Oct 2, 2015 IP
  5. newHOST

newHOST Peon

Best Answers:
    You still need to make sure you forward traffic to your server in your home router, unless you have the server directly connected, and if you reset your internet connection if your IP changes (as that would make things annoying).

newHOST, Oct 2, 2015 IP
  6. samirj09

samirj09 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Well, you can never know too much in my opinion. Glad you were able to get it figured out. :)

samirj09, Oct 2, 2015 IP