1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

plugin to restore backup

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by silent_1, Oct 26, 2015.

Hi,

Kindly suggest best plugin for backup and to restore that backup.

Thank you.

silent_1, Oct 26, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    An FTP-client and a database manager. What the hell do you need a plugin for?

PoPSiCLe, Oct 26, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's not even logical. You have to have a database and installation to run a plugin therefore you need to have already done the restore.

sarahk, Oct 26, 2015 IP
  4. silent_1

silent_1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @ sarahk & PoPSiCLe

my question shows my ignorance. What I concluded from your replies is I should ask about how to restore backup. That would be more appropriate question. So my question is how I can restore backup of WP blog?

silent_1, Oct 27, 2015 IP
  5. th.sigit

th.sigit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This instruction generally applies if you move a wordpress site from one domain to another:
    1. upload the backup files to your hosting (public_html directory on most servers)
    2. import the backup database to a new database (using phpmyadmin on most shared servers)
    3. update the file wp-config.php to reflect the new database name, database user, and database password (very rarely but possible: database host name as well)
    4. update the database via phpmyadmin or command line, to reflect the new site name/url. Within the table named wp_options, look for a site_url value and change existing value to the new domain. That should do the trick. Or take a look here http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL for more alternatives on how to change the site url.

If you did not move a new domain, but simply restore backup files, you can skip step 4.
    Or you can start with step 1, have a fresh wordpress install from your backup, and proceed with step 2. No need for step 3 above. Still probably need step 4 if you are using a different domain.

Test these steps on your localhost (or another domain) to make sure you will not fail in the process.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    th.sigit, Oct 27, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. silent_1

Best Answers:
    I want to switch from one server to other.

silent_1, Oct 27, 2015 IP
  7. th.sigit

th.sigit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This:
    No need for step 3 or 4 on above post. Also, you need to delete existing wp-config.php (or better: renaming it to something else, e.g wp-config.php.bak), so that a new wp-config.php will be generated by the new install.

Important: You can do all these once your domain has been resolved to the new server.

Alternatively, if you don't want to wait for your domain to point to the new server, you can do step 1,2,3 from my post above.

th.sigit, Oct 27, 2015 IP
  8. samazgor

samazgor Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Upload the full backup file (that you've taken yesterday) to your new account's file manager and ask hostgator support team to restore it. they'll handle the rest of the things.

My cousin did this last week. And it's taking a few min to upload 4gb zip file to his namecheap account. He's using 10mps net connection.

samazgor, Oct 28, 2015 IP
  9. Lucy Barret

Lucy Barret Member

Best Answers:
    There are many plugins available in the WP directory for backups but I will recommend plugins like BackUpWordPress and BackWPUp. I use them even for my website.

Lucy Barret, Oct 29, 2015 IP
  10. Amos_A

Amos_A Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use:

1. Backupbuddy (not free, don't use it if you have Revolution slider installed, I'm having a problem with that, don't use it if it's a large website, it will cause you problems).
    2. Updraft Plus (free, use the migration extension $30 worth).
    3. All in one wp migration (free, works great with websites that aren't large).

Good luck.

Amos_A, Nov 16, 2015 IP
  11. silent_1

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for your valuable solutions.

I want to export Media library from a wp blog. Please suggest any good plugin for that.

Thank you.

silent_1, Nov 16, 2015 IP