1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Plugin error now i can't access my dashboard..HELP PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by CJStephen, Feb 12, 2012.

Hello,

So here's the issue that I'm having. I installed a plugin called W3 Total Cache. It installed correctly but when I went to activate it that's when the site (admin side) just displays a blank webpage with the number 0 in the top left corner. I am still able to access my website but when I click on dashboard to go to the admin part that is when it displays the "0". I delete the plugin via Filezilla but then again on the admin side it gave me an error message that said:

"W3 Total Cache Error: some files appear to be missing or out of place. Please re-install plugin or remove /hermes/bosweb/web089/b892/ipg.mymontagenet/wp-content/advanced-cache.php"

I have no idea what that means. I read that I'm able to deactivate the plugin through Filezilla by going to the folder and adding "1" to the end of the folder name. I did that but it gave me the same error as above. Tried to deactivate all of my plugins by changing the plugin folder name but was still unable to access my dashboard it gave me the same error message.

At this point all i want to do is deactivate/delete the plugin so that I can access my dashboard again to continue modifying my website. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. The page that gives me the zero after I activate a plugin has been happening on several different plugins that I activate. What does this mean? Is there a conflict with a plugin that I already have installed? When this happens I just delete the plugin via Filezilla and everything is back to normal but for some reason not this time.

Thank You

CJStephen, Feb 12, 2012 IP
  2. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    First, a link to your site would help. It's hard to just poke around and guess and not be able to see the website.

This error:
    Tells me that there are files missing in your installation. Either you didn't follow the instructions properly and set your folder permissions so that the plug in could create the necessary files, or all of the files weren't uploaded at installation or uploaded in the correct place.

Sounds like you have some installation or memory or space issues if this is happening with all of your plug ins. Either that or you are installing them in the wrong place.
    All of your plug ins (on a normal installation) should be in wp-content/plugins, and should be unzipped if you are doing it via FTP.

As for your current issue, W3 Total Cache also adds tons of code to your .htaccess file, adds files to your wp-content folder, and if you installed it correctly, you would have had to place some code in your config.php file.

If you need to get rid of it completely, you also need to get rid of all of that stuff.

You can find what your htaccess file looks like without any changes here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks#Creating_and_editing_.28.htaccess.29

hmansfield, Feb 12, 2012 IP
  3. CJStephen

CJStephen Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks I went in and deleted everything that was pertaining to the W3 Total Cache program. Like you said it created an extra folder and had extra files that weren't in the W3 Total Cache folder. The dashboard is back now. Thanks.

But on the other hand I never configure files manually. I do everything through WP and just hit install and activate the plugins. So I'm still a little concerned about the "0" that pops up after some of the plugins activated. Any idea why this happens with certain plugins?

CJStephen, Feb 12, 2012 IP
  4. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Could be plug ins conflicting with each other. Too many plug ins. Not enough memory in your database or server. Corrupt database tables. Bad theme coding. Files missing in your installation. Too many sites on a shared hosting enviroment.

That's probably something that your host can help you with. If there is a memory drain somewhere, they should be able to tell you what and where.

hmansfield, Feb 12, 2012 IP