1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PlentyOfFish.com what's there game? Is it fair marketing?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by 1associate, Feb 21, 2010.

PlentyOfFish.com offer their clients up on a plate to advertisers (as do social networks). Advertisers have information to target regions, age groups and even overweight people - all the information provided by lonely hearts. I think this is beneath contempt. It would be OK if POF were upfront about what they are going to use the information they gather for but they're hardly likely to do that. What do you think?

1associate, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  2. ManMadeMarketing

ManMadeMarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Chances are all those items are covered in that little check box that says "Terms of Service"

ManMadeMarketing, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  3. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is nothing wrong with what plenty of fish is doing. It costs an absurd amount of money to operate a site of that scope in servers and bandwidth.

Not only that, he produced that site right on time. He provided a valuable service at a time there was not one(free dating site).

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  4. 1associate

1associate Peon

Best Answers:
    It is hardly free - people pay with private details and unknowingly - totally underhand. So what it costs him money - there is no real need for dating sites free or otherwise - if there is a need it is for married men who want a bit on the side. That of course will be the undoing as half the information supplied is from cheats and liars

5. KristiDaniels

KristiDaniels Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't see any problem with that as long as it is disclosed generally in their privacy policy. The generic statement that "we use your personal data to provide more relevant advertising and to improve your visitor experience" would cover it.

The only thing I know that POF ever did that I found pretty questionable is that he seeded the site with fake profiles for the first year or so. I don't think he still needs to do that. I was originally turned off by that tactic when he mentioned it, but as I have met other dating site operators and asked them, it seems like that is standard practice. The same goes for forums.

I still don't think I would do it, but targeting advertising with known demographics is pretty standard throughout the industry and I think everyone knows it is done even if they haven't read the privacy policies.

KristiDaniels, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  6. 1associate

1associate Peon

Best Answers:
    You're right of course - it is standard practice. POF doesn't sell email lists then? I jumped to the conclusion that's what the advertising side was about. I so hate emails from spammy companies who've got my name from somewhere and send emails everyday.

I was outraged when I came across some sales pitch, words to the effect "target fat people". It produced the image of "lambs to the slaughter" rather than plenty of fish.

7. webbmaster

webbmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    facebook is even more aggressive.. I believe they use your friends' information, preference, fan network to delivery the marketing messages on top of your profile information.. it will become standard practice for all social network

webbmaster, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  8. dbbrock1

dbbrock1 Peon

Best Answers:
    What a completely invalid statement there.

You honestly believe dating sites are not needed?

I think the amount of money he makes and the other related dating sites out there is proof that they are indeed needed...or else they wouldnt be making millions of dollars each month.

dbbrock1, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  9. henryhavoc2

henryhavoc2 Guest

Best Answers:
    I think it's fair game. No other way to have a free site like that

henryhavoc2, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  10. JimGee

JimGee Member

Best Answers:
    Business is business....thought about doing a dating site about ten years ago........boy do I feel like a dumbo....

JimGee, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  11. 1associate

1associate Peon

Best Answers:
    If the replies are anything to go by - there is still time for you!

1associate, Feb 22, 2010 IP
  12. tech_savvy

tech_savvy Peon

Best Answers:
    plenty of fish does indicate that these details would be known to other users of the forum or group.

tech_savvy, Feb 22, 2010 IP