1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please Review This Jeweler Site

Discussion in 'Websites' started by PhoenixIM, Nov 6, 2019.

Hey guys, can you give me some honest, direct feedback on this website I made for a jewelry shop? I had added some cool SVG animations but Google was drastically reducing the Pagespeed. I believe there is always room for improvement so I welcome all feedback.

https://zelayasjewelers.com/

Thanks in advance.

PhoenixIM, Nov 6, 2019 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I don't have much to suggest, it looks good (professionally speaking). I was wondering why you have your css code right in your index page. Put it in a .css file.

qwikad.com, Nov 6, 2019 IP
  3. PhoenixIM

PhoenixIM Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your input. I built this site using Wordpress, I believe WP-Rocket is responsible for that.

PhoenixIM, Nov 6, 2019 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The white on orange is below accessibility minimums on contrast making it hard to read or even invisible for much of the population. The goofy thin-glyph web-font on the menu may also compromise legibility at certain sizes or placement of backgrounds.

The visual lack of indicators the page can even be scrolled down makes the landing a complete failure at design, in general the massive "splash page" of an image with little to no content of value whist very artsy and pretty, goes right to the top of the "this is bad DESIGN" list. Remember design is engineering that incorporates art into other concepts like usability accessibility, and user-experience, the latter of which are utterly lacking in this design.

Because of the massive over-use of massive images too blasted big to belong on a website in the first place, loads between pages range from awkward to outright annoying. This also bespeaks a lack of properly leveraging caching models in the code.

Attempts at alternative navigation and non-visual accessibility are a complete failure. This too likely means poor coding practices "under the hood" so common to these types of "art, screw everyone else" designs that are more interested in showing off someone's photoshop skills than they are in being useful to end users.

Popping the bonnet to look at the code, it's the typical train wreck of developer ignorance, incompetence, and ineptitude I've come to expect from someone squeezing out a site in the turdpress. Static style in the markup, static scripting in the markup, endless pointless DIV for nothing, presentational use of classes, endless pointless classes for nothing... hardly a shock it wastes 104k of minified code on delivering 4.1k of plaintext and ZERO actual content media... not even 10k of HTML's flipping job! A situation where even more gasoline gets poured on the fire in the form of 854k of CSS in three files -- doing the job of around 20k in one file -- and utterly insane 1.36 megabytes of JavaScript on a page that doesn't even warrant the PRESENCE of scripting.

In other words, a complete and epic /FAIL/ at web development.

It is in fact a poster child for why if anyone tells you that turdpress should be used for anything more complex than a blog for grandma, they're packing you full of manure and are either so ignorant of how to build websites they have ZERO business flapping their yap about it, or WORSE are an outright sleazy dirtbag fly-by-night scam artist!

Particularly for a site that seems to be little more than static content.

Laugh is, there's SO LITTLE unique content of value on every page, I'd seriously consider turning it into a single squeeze page with modals. If proper semantics were used leveraging separation of presentation from content, the entire site could be reduced to a single page with scripted assist navigation retaining much of the appearance, whilst still resulting in a smaller and faster page than the current landing/home page is all by itself!

deathshadow, Nov 19, 2019 IP
  5. PhoenixIM

PhoenixIM Peon

Best Answers:
    First off, I appreciate the feedback. I've read some of your site reviews and the way you describe things gives me a good chuckle. I'll take your feedback and improve on the menu font weight, design elements, adding something to scroll down below the top-fold, and adding more content on the pages.

As far as using Wordpress, I do agree that the code can be a mess especially with some plugins. This site scores a 90/99 on Google Pagespeed Insights and it ranks for a couple of keywords, and most importantly has generated new business for the owner, which at the end of the day that's what really matters to them.

I took a look at the forum in your sig and I see where you're coming from. I started off by building websites from scratch using proper code, but it was not profitable for me. I'm not just looking to make profit, my goal is to help these business owners get more business.

Out of curiosity, what is an example of a great website for you? I saw the topic on the forum on your sig, but never saw your reply.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

PhoenixIM, Dec 1, 2019 IP