1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please review our Travel Website.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by facebook, Nov 25, 2014.

Hey,
    Please have a look at http://holidayroutes.com,
    We have signed up for google adwords with the relevant keywords, but none have converted.
    Boss thinks it could be because of the website.
    Let us know what we can do best to make visitors buy.
    Thanks

facebook, Nov 25, 2014 IP
  2. PunctRo

PunctRo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey,

The first impression I got when I entered the site is that you are some sort of tourist blog sharing travel memories.
    The site it's not telling me that you sell something.
    In my opinion you should make the whole header image smaller ore at least change it with some relevant clickable ones that lead to a trip page that you are selling. You should use more wisely the header space.
    Your trip page looks better and I think is more relevant to your business than the homepage.
    I'm not an expert in sales but this is my opinion and I hope it helps.

PunctRo, Nov 25, 2014 IP
  3. onlineworkers

onlineworkers Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, On first impression the webiste doesnt seem to sell anything. My opinion, the template doesnt serve your purpose. Get some banners, offers, packages, sales, discounts like words to make your website look as if you are selling something.

Regards

onlineworkers, Nov 25, 2014 IP
  4. usemyteam

usemyteam Member

Best Answers:
    The images of the sliders should be wide enough to reach both left and right ends of the website page. The font can be changed but it is already good. So far the design is okay but you need to add more to make it appealing.

usemyteam, Nov 25, 2014 IP
  5. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am not surprised that you are not getting conversion. when I arrive I get a wall to wall image and nothing else of value, and I have trouble even finding the menu which is not in a place where users expect to find in it. If I am actually looking to buy something, I might click on trips link when I finally find the menu, but it is more likely that I just hit the back button and look somewhere else because you have not indicated you have something to sell that I might be interested in.

Assuming I actually click the trips link, I might never see the page because I am impatient, and the page (like the site itself is bloated and slow with excessive scripting, an oversided graphics load, and a boatload of invalid markup that sends the parser spinning and using up resources trying to resolve the crap.

So it is one of those rare times when the bass is right. The design, accessibility, usability, performance, and technical quality are all failing to do anything but encourage visitors to go somewhere else. If you wrote it, I am sorry to tell you that you have no business doing a site that is important to a business enterprise. If the boss paid someone to do it, then whomever did it is, a thief or suffering from a delusion that they are a web developer. It looks like a school project that would probably get a failing grade.

COBOLdinosaur, Nov 25, 2014 IP
  6. Daniel.Thomas

Daniel.Thomas Member

Best Answers:
    Man, of course you had no success with your adwords campaign.
    First of all your site looks like a blog and not like a travel agency. On the 1st page you have no CLEAR contact information, no trust elements and nothing to sell. This elements should be very visible and clear. Then you have absolutely no call to actions on your site. How do you expect someone to buy from you if you don't say anything about selling, booking, or whatever it is your doing. Do you expect a new user to start browsing your site to see if you have something to sale??? You get it all wrong man. You need a well trained online marketing person to make this shop sell something.
    Then it's the slider man. It's not even clickable.... That slider should contain OFFERS not just pretty images.

Bottom line, focus on offers with clear call to action and trust elements like contact details!
    Anyways I wish you good luck with your project.

Daniel.Thomas, Nov 26, 2014 IP
  7. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whoa I just took another look YOU MUST TAKE IMMEDIATE to resolve a security issue. At the bottom of the page ypou are displaying:

"
    Uncaught exception thrown in shutdown function.
    PDOException: SQLSTATE[42S02]: Base table or view not found: 1146 Table 'holiday.dr_search_total' doesn't exist: SELECT t.word AS realword, i.word FROM {search_total} t LEFT JOIN {search_index} i ON t.word = i.word WHERE i.word IS NULL; Array ( ) in search_update_totals() (line 388 of /home/hroutes/public_html/modules/search/search.module).
    "

Under no circumstances should you ever be exposing DB or scripting errors on a public page. It is an invitation to hackers. Apparently the server side code is the same kind of garbage as the client. My advice at this point is to put up an under construction; scap what you have an hire a professional who can demonstrate that they have a history of successful site development.

This started out kind of funny; but it is not a joke when you expose a business to this kind of threat with totally incompetent crap like this. If whoever developed this calls themselves a developer then they are no more then a lying SOB who deserves to be run out of town.

COBOLdinosaur, Mar 12, 2015 IP
  8. Oscar Mariotti

Oscar Mariotti Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You should make your website attractive by using different types of tools. According to SEO point of view your website must contain title and meta-tag. I think you can use any other tool which simplify your problem.

Oscar Mariotti, Mar 21, 2015 IP
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    First, this is not the review area. (yes, there is one)

As to the site, the dark blue text on the darkish sky is below accessibility minimums and hard to read, with the black text on the images near the bottom being similarly afflicted. There are guidelines for that after all. The inaccessible fixed metric (px) fonts on the content area are useless rubbish to large font users like myself, and the attempt at responsive layout is utterly and completely broken here. At smaller sizes the dividing vertical breaks around the menu items look more like a mistake than intentional (it's the ones before and after that are the problem), and the page seems to be hemmoraghing PHP errors since at the bottom we have:

Uncaught exception thrown in shutdown function.

PDOException: SQLSTATE[42S02]: Base table or view not found: 1146 Table 'holiday.dr_search_total' doesn't exist: SELECT t.word AS realword, i.word FROM {search_total} t LEFT JOIN {search_index} i ON t.word = i.word WHERE i.word IS NULL; Array ( ) in search_update_totals() (line 388 of /home/hroutes/public_html/modules/search/search.module).
    Code (markup):
    Which is probably not good since it's revealing things like table structure to visitors.

Under the hood the dozen or so different (and conflicting) namespaces are likely an indicator that somethign is being done wrong. The static inlined CSS and use of @import being sent to all media means the CSS is lazy, broken, slow loading AND outdated in methodology. (what, was this written for Netscape 4 support?!?)

It's knee deep in jQuery scripttardery for christmas only knows what, and has all the typical "let's throw classes at everything" garbage one comes to expect from people who learned to develop websites using turdpress; hardly a shock since it appears to be drupal and as such shares most all the same failings.

The markup is absolute gibbierish; multiple BODY tags, paragraphs around single (content cloaked) words, static scripttardery in the markup, static style in the markup, DIV for nothing, little if anything resembling logical document order much less proper use of numbered headings (like say... multiple H1 without HTML 5 structure, H3 preceeding H1, etc, etc)...

Of course it uses bootcrap, so naturally the code is utter and complete bloated rubbish -- to the tune of 48k of markup to deliver 2.79k of plaintext and five content images. That's anywhere from four to six times as much code as should have been used on such a simple homepage. That it then has an ungodly 1.3 megabytes in 22 files of "JS for nothing" and an utterly incompetant 314k in 22 files of CSS (ten times the CSS an entire website should need) hardly comes as a shock. You figure in that overall it's 70 separate files coming to a massive 6 megabytes in size with 104 validation errors and it's painfully apparent whoever created that has no business building websites.

Hence the riduclously painful 104.06 second page load time I'm seeing here... meaning nobody in their right mind is going to wait for that to even finish loading.

My advice: Toss it and start over, there is NOTHING worth even TRYING to salvage from that mess. It's a failure to understand the most basic concepts of accessible design, and an epic failure when it comes to it's implementation. Basically you have just another cookie-cutter "let's slap together a bunch of off the shelf parts and hope it works" -- and the result is, well... typical of that.

deathshadow, Mar 21, 2015 IP
  10. minionnz

minionnz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's definitely the website.
    A few suggestions:
    1 - You have to convince the user that this site is going to answer their questions. It took me at least a minute to even figure out what the site is about. You have less than a second to convince the user to stay.
    Why do visitors look for your site? You can get hints from the google statistics (look at the keywords/phrases used). The answer to that question needs to be the first thing people see.
    2 - Once they've decided to continue reading your site, they get confused. I couldn't figure out how to navigate the site straight away so your visitors won't either. You need to guide the visitors to where they want to be - move the Trips onto the main page.
    3 - Set up a landing page for the ads - one that is specifically designed around the ad. If the wording/content from the ad does not flow through to the landing page, you will turn visitors away.
    4 - Split test and optimise (Google AB split testing for details)
    5 - Create a mailing list. Perhaps a search box/form, and then "We currently have no deals for <destination>. Get notified by email by entering your email address below" (this is a huge one actually - even if you did nothing else, I'd focus on this)

minionnz, Mar 25, 2015 IP