1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please review my website

Discussion in 'Websites' started by NewComputer, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Any tips or suggestions. This is my second attempt. I am currently working on a template website. Any suggestions on placement of AdSense adds or any help would be much appreciated. Please keep it clean... ;)

THIS WILL HELP www.newcomputer.ca

NewComputer, May 20, 2004 IP
  2. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Did I offend someone? If I did, I apologize. I would really like some help and assistance with layout and site design. It does not validate in W3C, but I haven't been able to resolve very well. The forums are new. Sign up and leave your thoughts etc... It posts well in Google (eg: search google for BF 1942 - Warning! Connection problems detected). Feedback please....

NewComputer, May 25, 2004 IP
  3. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I like it...

Simple to navigate. To the point etc...

good work.

Anything in particular you would like to be reviewed?

SEbasic, May 25, 2004 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi

I didn't particularly like it. The image made me think of a fire melting my monitor :) and the google ads are too prominent. Your hyperlinks stand out but take away from your total message because they are so much bigger than standard text.

From an SEO point of view you have javascript on the page and you use javascript for mouseover effects rather than CSS which is better.

From a spam point of view you put your email address on the page in an unprotected format. Take a look at http://www.fingerlakesbmw.org/main/flobfuscate.php for a way to protect your email addresses.

I'd like to see a photo of Rod Friesen (you?) since he's the main person behind the site.
    I wouldn't even bother with the label "Informational Links" but if you really want it "Information" is enough. Most users (except my mother perhaps) will recognise a link when they see one.

However I do like most of the colors and layout. It's a good "first pass".

Good luck

Sarah

sarahk, May 25, 2004 IP
  5. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Sarah, touche, that was very...err, blunt. I appreciate the honesty. The google ads are there for a reason, they provide enough to cover the cost of hosting etc.. each month, so I enjoy them being clicked on. The rotating banner is at the time, all my graphics skills will allow. If you press F5, the image should change. I am working on a new banner. The mouseover I am working on and you can view the new CSS here NewComputer.ca Site Navigation and I would enjoy your feedback on that as well.

When you say hyperlink, you mean my buttons or the links on the right. The 'informational .gif' will be replaced with a site navigation drop down very soon.

The problem I have with flobfuscate is that you cannot include things like this 'info@newcomputer.ca?subject=Re: Email from website of New Computer.ca' it does not allow anything after the .ca.

I agree, the photo is a must. If you want to meet me today you can see Rod Friesen here.

PS: I am not as mean as that photo suggests. My 6'5" and 302 lbs is nothing more than an exterior ;) and I am about 15lbs down from that photo, so no fat jokes.

I really do appreciate your honesty and I am constantly working on my site, as we all are.

6. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the kind words. I am looking for things like how to layout certain aspects. I am working on CSS navigation, see below post and would like to know how to get rid of the gap between the words when they drop down.

My forums, I would like reviewed, additional categorys etc... I am now going to add an SEO forum and include a link to this site.

In general, I am not happy with the links page, I need a title and different layout. Anything you would like to add.

7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hey Rod, one day I'll find my first site on the iarchive site so that you can all have a good laugh. Not that the current ones are beautiful, I'm no designer.

I've added the obfuscate code to http://www.goodreturns.co.nz/section.php?CategoryID=9 see where it says email us - click that and you get the subject too. You just have to remember to use %20 instead of a space.

And sorry to be blunt, but time and all that. Have to run now and collect my boy from Kindy. Have a good day and enjoy your site.

Sarah

sarahk, May 25, 2004 IP
  8. respree

respree Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you are missing out on a lot of local traffic by not putting your physical street address. This will also help you with credibility and conversion rates.

You might also consider putting up some sample systems on your New PC Purchases page. When I clicked on that link, I saw no new PC's for sale.

Hope these comments help.

respree, May 26, 2004 IP
  9. DarkBlue Clare

DarkBlue Clare Guest

Best Answers:
    I like your header image and the text links to the right as navigation. My first thought was that the black border was too thick around the page though. I think that if it was thinner it could help the overall page design.

Also, I'd be interested to see the graphical navigation buttons replaced with a more streamlined option (possibly a continuation of the text links you've used on the right hand side in a complementary colour.)

My 2cents.

DarkBlue Clare, May 30, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.