1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please Review My Forex Trading Website

Discussion in 'Websites' started by GamesPond, Mar 26, 2017.

Hi there.
    I would love your thoughts and opinions of my site http://forextradingstrategyguide.com/

The idea behind the design was to make it clean with little distractions.
    I'm going to be focusing more on the content and making it easier to read and understand.
    SEMrush
    I thought breaking the tips up with different background colors might help the reader with reading rather than having all white background.

Your thoughts and critiques would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

GamesPond, Mar 26, 2017 IP
    SEMrush
  2. Allen James

Allen James Active Member

Best Answers:
    You have created a Forex trading website to win money from Adsense advertising? Why you didn't put at least 1-2 links to some brokers? And it will be good if you can get some backlinks as it is not ranking anywhere.

Allen James, Mar 27, 2017 IP
  3. GamesPond

GamesPond Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Allen.
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Yes, at the moment I only have adsense but I am working with a few forex brokers. One, I'm finding hard to be approved for (Plus500). Do you know of any reputable forex affiliate programs that convert well?

Once I have get approved I will be adding reviews and content around them and will probably switch the adsense ads over so they don't distract the reader - that way they only focus on the broker ads.

I will be adding backlinks as well, I have a few providers that I've used to rank other sites. This niche will be a lot harder but I think I can get it ranking for some low to medium keywords.
    Thanks again, appreciate it.

GamesPond, Mar 27, 2017 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The white on tan menu is far below accessibility minimums on contrast, I would guesstimate it as invisible to around a third the population. The nearly illegible undersized text in the live rates table is an accessibility mess, and whoever said it was ok to use 10px fonts, much less pixel sized fonts in general needs a good swift kick in the groin as they don't know enough about accessibility to be designing a blasted thing.

Same can be said of the "open sans" webfont that renders poorly in Windows. This is clearly a business site, stick to a websafe font stack not some artsy fartsy hard to read webfont.

It is painfully agonizing to watch load due to the sheer number of separate files for nothing and massive code bloat. 55k of HTML to deliver 15k of plaintext and two content images? That's easily TWICE the HTML such a ridiculously simple page should have. This is only further exacerbated by the ape-shit ridiculous 823k of JavaScript spanning 23 files on a site I'm not seeing anything that should even NEED JavaScript, and 218k of CSS spanning 12 files when it doesn't even have media targets -- meaning there is no reason for the ENTIRE SITE to need more than 48k of CSS in one file. You KNOW things are awry when JavaScript and CSS combined for the site exceed the filesizes of the IMAGES by a factor of FIVE and file counts by a factor of three!

The file counts are what really kills the speed, since each separate file past the first eight can take anywhere from a fifth of a second to a second or more to load depending on network traffic between your server and the visitor -- REGARDLESS of the connection speeds at either end! That's why it took 20 seconds to load here cache-empty... and with 52 separate files some people on congested connections (like a shared work connection, many mobile phone plans, sharing wireless at the local hipster coffee joint, or if your dip**** nephew is torre... uhm, creatively acquiring movies in the other room) could easily push up to a minute or more!

Non-mouse and non-visual navigation seems hobbled by the improper use of numbered heading tags. Missing heading levels, flattened depth, lack of page tie-in heading with the h1 around what should be a h2...

Pretty much it fails on all accessibility counts. If this were a UK company for a public service or utility, I'd be warning you about accessibility fines under the 2010 EQA and the 1995 DDA. Be warned also a similar bill is being drafted in the US House that could result in all business related websites being targets of fines for accessibility failings under an extension to the US ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) -- a move I most heartily endorse.

... and that's before I pop the bonnet to have a look at the code where, well... It's turdpress, so beginning to end it REEKS of developer ineptitude and incompetence. Even out of box turdpress is an unmitigated failure at web development, but it is theoretically possible to bend it over your knee and make it behave... ZERO such effort has been put into this site. Again, resulting in the massive ridiculous code-bloat of 55k of code doing around 24 to 28k's job if I were to do a ballpark guess based on the content and layout.

Endless pointless separate files slowing the page load, endless pointless DIV for nothing, endless pointless classes for nothing, endless pointless absolute URI's for no reason other than to waste bandwidth, static style in the header, static style in the markup, presentational use of classes and ID's, elements in paragraph tags that are not grammatical paragraphs, that pointless code-bloat aria-role nonsense that adds nothing of value to the page or user experience, blocking scripts in the HEAD, IE CC scripttardery just to use new HTML 5 tags that don't actually DO anything useful...

Laundry list of how NOT to build a website. If you brought that to me as a client, I'd tell you to take it 'round back o' the woodshed, put a 12 gauge to its ear, and put it out of its misery like Old Yeller.

Apart from the colour contrasts and fonts issues (both easily remedied) it's what you don't see that's killing it. It's going to cost more to host than it should, it's going to turn away users with accessibility needs and by extension search engines and their ilk, and when/if you get real traffic it is going to perform very poorly on speed and usability.

Which is a shame because you actually have a relatively clean and clear CONCEPT, and a reasonable amount of "content of value" (though I'd seriously consider bringing in a professional writer to punch up your copy a hair. It's dry -- still that's more than I can say for most sites out there!) -- it's the execution that's a disaster... though much of said disaster is entirely to be expected with the snake oil peddler tools that were used to build it.

deathshadow, Mar 29, 2017 IP
    GamesPond likes this.
  5. GamesPond

GamesPond Active Member

Best Answers:
    @deathshadow
    Speechless at the moment, possibly one of the best critics I've read.
    This is really good feedback and I appreciate the time you've put in looking at the site and writing this.

I am by no means a website designer, I just hack away at themes to be honest. I haven't hired anyone for this so I take full responsibility for the mess :)
    I do know basic html, css and some php but that's just enough to get by.
    In saying that, you've opened my eyes about accessibility, amount of code and page size/speed.

I've been a wordpress user for years and that's why I use it + it's super easy to manage content.
    Some of the code might be due to certain plugins that I have running. But, wordpress being wordpress I think it will have a large amount of code no matter what I do.
    Will try a plugin to minify code and make page speed faster.

As for images, I will work on those as well. Quick question, which site/tool do you use for showing page speed? I normally throw my sites in pingdom tools or use google page speed test.
    Because I'm using GOdaddy wordpress managed hosting I can't use plugins like w3 total cache or super cache so will have to look into other ways to increase page speed.

Looks like I have much to learn. Great respect and much appreciate your feedback.

GamesPond, Mar 29, 2017 IP
  6. polteejog

polteejog Member

Best Answers:
    is this site is still for sale?

polteejog, Jan 17, 2018 IP
  7. dimitarang

dimitarang Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Articles:
    Try INSTAFOREX, it works for me, I also trade there and have affiliates...everything is great with their fast and secure forexcopy system, all autopilot. Your website's visitor will love it. Contact me if you need some more details.

dimitarang, Jan 17, 2018 IP