1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please review my development blog.

Discussion in 'Websites' started by dvchaos, Mar 1, 2015.

Over at http://www.toms-creations.com

!!
    Any feedback welcomed, both negative and positive,
    So .. what do you think of my development blog?

Regards,
    Tom Brett.

dvchaos, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  2. BMR777

BMR777 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First off, when I first went to load your site it took about a good 10 seconds or so before it loaded. I'm not sure if this was an issue with your site or a DNS resolution problem on my end, but it's something to look into if you're noticing slow load times.

The site is very light on content. There's no hook on the homepage to make me want to explore the site more. The only part of the site with any real content is the projects section and even this doesn't have a lot of content. Consider talking about each project more. Right now it just seems like your site is one big advertisement for the sites you're linking to.

BMR777, Mar 2, 2015 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It is indeed slow loading -- 839k in 59 files being the most likely culprit -- confusing when there really is only one content image and most of what's being done there for style doesn't need so many images. FAR worse is the endless pointless scripttardery, to the tune of half a megabyte in eight files of the "train wreck of how to make a website inaccessible" known as jqueery. Much less that you seem to be loading multiple different versions of jqueery.

Your content text is the typical inaccessible illegible px measurement -- annoying since it forces me to zoom in 30% or more resulting in your heading text being painfully massive. You should be using EM's instead of PX for a reason after all.

You also have another accessibility /FAIL/ in the form of it being a fixed width layout, so kiss mobile users or other accessibility users goodbye. GOOD layouts should be elastic, semi-fluid and responsive -- aka EM fonts and EM measurements, auto-adjusting width between a minimum and maximum width, and re-arrangement of layout to fit smaller displays. You have none of these.

Under the hood it's the typical turdpress disaster of "I cans haz intarnets" -- not your fault, that's what nube predating bull like turdpress is designed for. Static style in the markup, little if anything resembling semantics, endless pointless DIV, ID's and classes for nothing, endless pointless JS for nothing... There is a LOT I would say needs to be done to that to drag it kicking and screaming into being properly built.

deathshadow, Mar 4, 2015 IP