1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please review my ad placement I got less than 0.2% CTR

Discussion in 'Placement / Reviews / Examples' started by JamesColin, Mar 27, 2012.

Hi, I've just created a new site and the ad placement I thought was pretty good with my first ad unit on top left, I was expecting at least 2% on the whole page, but to my surprise I got the worst CTR in all history I think.. 0.2% yesterday and less than 0.1% so far today (which ends in 8 hours only).. Something must be seriously wrong but I don't see what..

How is it possible? Can you help me by giving me some advise?

http://www.best-reviewers.com

Thank you

EDIT: After a few changes (and CTR has increased a little, more than doubled, so it's better), the homepage is not the same ad placement as the other pages, so please consider only the type of page "salary" in your comments, example:
    http://www.best-reviewers.com/how-much-money-does-tiger-woods-make-8559.htm

JamesColin, Mar 27, 2012 IP
  2. zigzag007

zigzag007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like good ad placement to me.

zigzag007, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  3. busterbox

busterbox Peon

Best Answers:
    james i was wondering if you could fix my problem with wordpress ? its an .htaccess problem thatmy featured image are not showing or sildeshow

Looking at your website seem like you have done an great job

busterbox, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  4. AymanX

AymanX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it's good ad placement, But..........
    to increase the CTR, simply add text ads box (size: 33x250) in the white area (before your contents)

Good luck,
    Ayman X.

AymanX, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  5. HardWorkingWebmaster

HardWorkingWebmaster Member

Best Answers:
    It's not always about ad placement -
    It's often about the type of traffic you're receiving.

Where do your visitors come from?

HardWorkingWebmaster, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  6. Chris01273

Chris01273 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try changing the image ads to rext. It worked for me and got a lot mot more CTR's

Chris01273, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  7. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Thank you all for your suggestion.

I've now moved the 300x250 ad unit from top left where I thought it was such a good spot, to the top of the content.. I'll see how it goes..

@busterbox, sorry my site is not on wordpress, it's on drupal.

@hardworkingwebmaster, my traffic comes from google, but at the moment the most are coming on the income pages, so it's light/fun traffic, not serious, hence I reckon less clicks on ads. In the future the traffic will come more on different pages, especially the top lists which are sometimes more serious.

@chris01273, I plan on looking at ad types performances and then switch to text only or image only if I see significant advantage, but at the moment the ctr is so poor that I can't make decision yet.

JamesColin, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  8. technocourt

technocourt Peon

Best Answers:
    i think the main reason why your CTR is so small is :

1. Your ads must Unique and make people eager to see what they offer. The main point is you must looking what trends is booming this month.
    2. Just little bit ADS Placement advice , maybe you can insert some text ads between your post so people that doesn't know that is an ADS that related by the title of the post will click that.
    3. Your need some Great Visitor Quality that eager about your content .

Hope this will help your CTR better and Sorry if my english so bad.

Regard's

Ardhika

technocourt, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  9. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here are my tips.

Swap the image ad box with the text ad box. This always works for me since the viewer's eye is drawn to the image ad first, then rests on the text ads.

Then use a new-style text block. Drop the reverse out type, it's too hard to read, then create readable text using your site colours. In other words meld the ads with your site.

Good luck.

Rod, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  10. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sorry I've kind of misled you with this link on the front page of the site, because I have changed one ad unit which was at the time when I wrote this at the top of the left sidebar.

Now, I don't show all ads on the first page. And anyway most of the traffic for now goes to the salary pages, so here's an example of such a page:
    http://www.best-reviewers.com/how-much-money-does-tiger-woods-make-8559.htm

Today the CTR has increased a little, it is at 0.4% that's after I moved the ad unit from the sidebar to above of the content.

Thank you for your comments. In fact I think I need to be patient, not change anything and wait until the traffic diversifies more, because the site is new and at the moment only traffic to the salary pages is coming from a 301 redirect from another site. Maybe things will improve once the traffic is spread among all types of pages.

At that moment I'll look more into stats and decide which ad units should be restricted to text/images and which should be let free to display both types.

Thank you for your tips, I'll keep them in mind, but I'll let it like that for a few weeks, the time to diversify the traffic coming to the site.

JamesColin, Mar 28, 2012 IP