1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please kill the infraction system before it kills DP

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by promo, Jul 18, 2009.

1. buffalo

buffalo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It is interesting, but it's still something that could be very easily manipulated by members. All I have to do is PM all my friends and ask them to "Digg" my thread. Once people start asking for thredd diggs, or creating thread digg circles, or thread digg exchanges then the system becomes unreliable and meaningless. :(

buffalo, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  2. MrHarper

MrHarper Guest

Best Answers:
    And also, what happems to NEW threads? There may be a great new service but it would never be noticed as it would be buried under all the 'Digged' threads. Forgive me if I misunderstood the mod.

MrHarper, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  3. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Shawn,

Can there be a bit of lenience towards senior members? I know most of the rules here (not all...LOL) and I do try to abide by them. But in the last couple of weeks I've been hammered, especially the last few days for some fairly minor things. I know no one wants to get themselves banned and the same goes for me.

It appears that old posts are being looked at to be cleaned out. I agree with this being done but would it be fairer if a post is found by a mod that is say older than 1 week, that the post is deleted and a warning is given instead of an infraction? At least if a member is warned a few times for older posts, he might get the message and change what he is doing. I hope you get what I mean with this question?

Cheap SEO Services, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You don't get infractions for joking or being sarcastic. If you really mean insulting or a personal attack then that's different.

dcristo, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  5. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, I use the infraction system a lot on my gaming forums and its a nice tool to ban people and give notices for posts breaking the rules. (Since gamers have a big tendency to yell racists remarks and such while doing a ban appeal from the game server as funny as that may seem, its annoying).

People don't seem to realize that, for one, infractions are just warnings really in disguise. It's like baseball, 3 strikes you're out.

Stroh, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  6. mdvasanth86

mdvasanth86 Notable Member

Best Answers:

Are you sure?

I was given one last week.
    No where near to be called a insulting or a personally attacking post.

mdvasanth86, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  7. CandyCottonLover

CandyCottonLover Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with promo. Instead of opening a new thread bumping old thread should be a fine thing to do. Maybe for a certain section in dp bumping is should be allowed esp in "Buy, Sell or Trade" section. What is the diff between bumping own post and creating a "new" same post? Posting a few same topic over and over will cause the "Similar Threads" flooded with the same topic by the very same user. Well unless you want it like that.

CandyCottonLover, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  8. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Who said that you can create duplicate threads or similar threads? :rolleyes:

You will get an infraction also for that ! :D

And if everyone starts bumping their threads then your thread will again go down... So, bumping isn't a good option ! :p

Better use your active thread links in your signature ! So, that people can contact you via PM after watching your thread.

- Digital -

Digital_shubhi, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  9. promo

promo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well if you closed down the BST you would probably see a lot less problems and a lot less traffic. You would be rid of me for one ;) As mentioned I would be perfectly OK with a paid BST. if thats a quarter pr post or a one time fee.

In regards to posts like "pm sent" or "SOLD".. Their chief purpose is not to relay important meaning in themselves but rather to act as an indication of the OP as being significant.

-jhmattern
    As mentioned I did not want to debate my own infractions. But thank you for proving my point about some of the mods here being jackasses.

promo, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  10. CandyCottonLover

CandyCottonLover Banned

Best Answers:
    I would love to see this being implemented on DP, I want to see the impact especially on Buy, Sell or Trade section. Try this at least for a month or two.

CandyCottonLover, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  11. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Try to stay at least a little bit relevant. You weren't given an infraction claiming you harassed or attacked anyone last week. You were given a 7 day ban for violating the BST bumping rules by posting to simply say you were interested and waiting to hear from the OP.

There is no difference. That's why neither is allowed. If you want to bring extra attention to your thread, put the link in your sig. Speaking from personal experience, it really does work.

You brought your own infractions into it when you got on your high horse claiming that A) you have supposedly wonderful ethics and B) don't spam here, as in you're being unfairly targeted in some way.

If you want to bash mods for giving the infractions, then take responsibility for your own actions first. Don't try to paint yourself as some wonderful do-no-wrong member in the process, or act like your infractions were all for the same type of things. It's just a case of misleading other members in an attempt to make a point.

jhmattern, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  12. dre1977

dre1977 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do think infractions have gone a step too far.

dre1977, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  13. promo

promo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    -Jhmattern
    Could we please keep this on topic. This was meant as a honest attempt at feedback on the infraction system. Please try to refrain from diluting the issue at hand. I saw you gave me two infraction points for my post above. I am thinking this is bordering on misuse of privileges.

promo, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  14. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. Attacking other members (as in calling people jackasses) is a 2-pt infraction. I didn't manually give you 2 points to be abusive - that's what Shawn assigned to that infraction type. You'd know that wasn't allowed if you read the rules.

And it's very much on-topic. Re-read your first post. You brought your own infractions into it to paint a pretty little picture of how you're basically an innocent member so the infractions are unfair. If you base your point on a lie like that (which I pointed out by showing the numerous rules you've broken - unlike the one or two you admit to), then it's indeed on-topic to point that out. If you didn't want them mentioned, you shouldn't have brought them up.

jhmattern, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  15. promo

promo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Look.. I did not try to paint myself as being a saint. Fact of the matter is that some of my infractions where totally legitimate. But to tell you the truth, most werent. Mods are to sometimes conduct a too swift relevans assesment of a thread or misunderstands a header and doles out infractions that are sometimes completely unfair. I noticed this and others have as well.

Furthermore you might think you got the whole picture from your mod control board, but you can only see the negative feedback I have from your system, not the favourable exchanges I had with a few members of the moderation staff. So maybe you should not be so quick to judge and hand out infractions, your personal attacks can warrant a ban. Mine cant.

In summary.. I am not a saint.. I have gotten legitimate infractions at digitalpoint.. The point of this thread is not to debate if my specific infractions where waranted. The point is to discuss the current rule sets efficientness in sorting the forum content.

promo, Jul 20, 2009 IP
    mdvasanth86 likes this.
  16. mdvasanth86

mdvasanth86 Notable Member

Best Answers:

I wouldn't call it a 'Thread" in the first place. It was supposed to be in the ENTERTAINMENT Forums.:p

Everyone who posted in that thread had fun including me.
    I can see all the replies posted have been deleted and just the Opening thread is there now.

I know its never easy to moderate a huge forum like DP. I really appreciate the work done by the ACTIVE moderators here including you. I am not really complaining. Just praying that moderators here dont see my post or I dont post on threads when they have a bad day. :eek:

mdvasanth86, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  17. lowco2525

lowco2525 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It may sound nice to have it so the "quality" products or information appears at the top, but it would never work. Most information becomes outdated, irrelevant, and therefore useless after awhile. It is annoying to have to sort through pages of threads to find quality products, but that's the system of the forums so it's just something you have to live with.

lowco2525, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  18. ms2134

ms2134 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have noticed that a few infractions do not show within the User CP what you got the infraction for but an email is always sent to the Infracting Member to tell them what they got the infraction for and if an URL was specified then it is also within the email.

~ Mike

ms2134, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  19. buffalo

buffalo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'm really not sure what you are talking about. :confused: The only infraction that you had last week was on this thread: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1409127

buffalo, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  20. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is posting “Sold” in a thread against the rules?

The reason for posting is to prove that you were the first to buy, it should also prevent other members posting and bumping a thread that’s finished.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Jul 20, 2009 IP