1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please Help

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by lilsimon04, Jan 2, 2013.

I am currently using vBulletin 5 Beta 19, I was wondering how to show on the forum home page how many people are view a particular forums, just like digitalpoint does, like it says "Google" forum "(73 viewing)"

Someone pleas help, thank you in advance!!!

lilsimon04, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Don't think you can in vBulletin 5... they removed a ton of features from it.

digitalpoint, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  3. lilsimon04

lilsimon04 Active Member

Best Answers:
    well that really sucks, I mean when you buy a new version you expect the same features plus additional features, not removing them geez! I appreciate your reply.

4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah, agreed... they also removed some fairly important things like paid subscriptions, user notes and infractions. lol

5. lilsimon04

lilsimon04 Active Member

Best Answers:
    well that's ridiculous... do you know if they removed the user registration referrals?? I cannot seem to find any options for it. I am creating a contest for the users with the most new user referrals but i cannot find the option to put a referral on the registration page to type in a members username.

6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I don't know for certain, but if you can't find it, I would suspect it's gone.

Actually, after looking at their "official" missing feature list, it's pretty extensive.. haha

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/407848-Missing-Feature-Status

Also gone: FAQ system, thread view count, go to last post in a thread, subscribed thread view, find all posts by a user, and the lots of other stuff.

From that list, it seems upgrading would be detrimental to any site simply because of lost functionality.

7. lilsimon04

lilsimon04 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah, its starting to look like I have just wasted $250 on crap, I mean these are features that i really need, now I am thinking if i should downgrade back to 4, I mean this seriously pisses me off. I really do appreciate your help, your very knowledgeable.

8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah... there's no way in hell I would run vB5. Someone could offer me $1,000,000 to install it here, and I would tell them to piss off. lol

The ability for my site to actually FUNCTION is worth more to me than $1M.

9. lilsimon04

lilsimon04 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you 100 %. Now i just have to figure out how to re-install vbulletin 4 and not lose any members or posts or anything and I have a feeling that its gonna be difficult and that if it can even be done? But yeah dont install it here or you will piss me off too haha!!

10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can't downgrade... it's a completely different data structure internally.

11. lilsimon04

lilsimon04 Active Member

Best Answers:
    ugh i hate my life!

12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As I suspect many will as they "upgrade" to vB5 and realize how bad it is AND that they can't downgrade. :)

13. rhoula

rhoula Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had the same problem with my forums, but It was when I upgraded from 3.8 to 4.0. That was the worst think did in my life. My forums were down for over a month. I couldn't sleep no more.

I lost all the plugins and Mods I installed because they were not compatible with VBulettin 4.0

Just like Shawn said. I will not upgrade no more. I'm happy with what I have now and I'm sticking to it.

One question: did you by any chance do any backup before you upgraded to the new VB 5?

rhoula, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  14. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh man, now I am really glad that I decided not to spend another 250 bucks to upgrade. If I had done it, users of my forum would have suffered more than I thought. (Of course that I am a lazy bastard who does not read anything and just hits a button with subconcious expectation that something will go horribly wrong.)

Devtard, Jan 2, 2013 IP