1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please Help with Question About Nofollow/Dofollow and Blog Comments

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by lyndatreb, Jun 13, 2010.

I am seeing so much conflicting information on these subjects and was hoping someone could help clarify for me. I'm rather new to blogging and/or Wordpress.

I have I guess at this point what would be considered a mini-blog -- 20 posts and 8 pages -- but I'm trying to add a post a week. I try to put at least two outgoing links to authority sites on each blog post.

My first question is:

Should my blog be dofollow or nofollow and why?

My second question is:

Is there any downside to disabling comments on the blog. I had comments enabled and all I was getting was people posting comments just to put their link in. (Which I'm not criticizing because I know this is a common practice, but I don't think it's helping my blog any.)

Any input on these two issues would be most helpful.

lyndatreb, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  2. lelkoun

lelkoun Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do not use nofollow in your posts. I suppose you trust these sites you link to.
    I have nofollow comments but I link in sidebar to 5 most active authors of comments.

I think this is the best way.

lelkoun, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  3. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Making your blog "Do Follow" only attracts webmasters and bloggers looking to spam for back links.

Most regular readers, don't have websites and have no idea what "Do Follow" means.

If someone is interested in your content and wants to interact, it won't matter to them if your blog is "Do Follow" or "No "Follow.
    The community spirit of making your blog "Do Follow" is over...too much spam.

The downside of disabling comments is that you loose the ability to interact with real readers. Don't let comment spammers make you disable comments if you don't want to. Use a good spam plug in like Akismet and set your comments to admin approval.

hmansfield, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  4. srinivasmbbs

srinivasmbbs Peon

Best Answers:
    Rightly said Astral Walker !! but comment counts too give a good impression to first timers !!

srinivasmbbs, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  5. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My blog has been Dofollow for a long time. Sure, spammers try to make worthless comments just for the link but they quickly get deleted.

The advantage of not allowing comments is that you don't have to deal with spammers.
    The disadvantage of not allowing comments is that you miss out on interacting with your readers and you miss out on all that extra user generated content that Google loves..

Tearabite, Jun 19, 2010 IP
  6. secci

secci Peon

Best Answers:
    its personal preference... i use dofollow and nofollow on some... dofollow can create more comments... just more work because you get more spammers...

secci, Jun 27, 2010 IP
  7. lelkoun

lelkoun Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, you can always use an antispam plugin like Akismet, Invisible Defender or Spammer Blocker. ;)

lelkoun, Jun 27, 2010 IP