1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please Help: Merchant Account Needed

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by Scott Botkins, Oct 23, 2005.

Hello,

I'm search for a merchant account I need for web design sales. It will be used for clients to pay me by credit card or check, I'm looking for a reliable one. I want to go with 2checkout but I don't know much about them. Any help please would be great.

Thanks,
    Scott

Scott Botkins, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  2. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been happy with 2Checkout for the most part, and they are increasing the frequency of payouts soon. PayPal also has a full on merchant service now too, though I haven't looked at it much. The nice thing about PayPal is that the customer can use backup funding... checking accounts, credit cards. This helps keep failed subscription payments down. Cardservice International seems to have a good rep for a full on merchant account. These can be expensive until the volume is high enough.
    Check out my Merchant Services page for info on these three, and check back regularly if you don't find a solution right away. I am looking for others to add to it soon.

NetMidWest, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  3. Scott Botkins

Scott Botkins Peon

Best Answers:
    Like on 2checkout when they pay me by credit card, can I have that money transferred to my bank account or do they mail it to me by check?

Thanks,
    Scott

4. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    You can have them cut a check, with a minimum release level of $100, or depost via ACH, or DEFT in Canada, the minimum is $10. They can also do wire transfers, minimum $300, but there is a fee. They do keep a small percentage in reserve, to help with disputes. It starts at 5%, for 90 days. They are making payments weekly now, which is great.
    They also have a good affiliate program. (Hint, Hint :) )

5. Scott Botkins

Scott Botkins Peon

Best Answers:
    ACH is a checking account right? I just want to be able to deposit money I recieve from clients into my bank account.

6. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    ACH is an acronym for 'Automated Clearing House'... basically, bank to bank transfer. It takes about 3 days to get to your bank, depending of course, on weekends, holidays, etc. They are cutting off payments on Wednesdays, I think, so in reality it usually is there the next Monday. I haven't really timed it out yet.

There is a $49 one-time signup fee that they charge.

7. Scott Botkins

Scott Botkins Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea I plan to pay that fee if it's worth it. I haven't got any feedback on 2checkout until now from you. I'm a web designer and I just need something besides paypal for clients to pay me by. So you believe 2checkout would be right for me? Also is there any other good ones that may help me with a low monthly fee rate? I just want something like paypal like how I explained so I clients can pay me.

Thanks,
    Scott

8. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    There are others... but 2Checkout is pretty easy to use, you can set up specific products, or send out a request for payment, do one-time or recurrent sales...

With a full merchant account, you are quite often left with all those tasks yourself. I also think there is an advantage to not having to store the CC numbers, most merchant accounts do have a gateway that does this, but if someone hacks your password, they would see them. With 3rd party systems like PayPal and 2Checkout, there is less to worry about, security-wise. You do not have access to the CC numbers.

Perhaps another member can give you some feedback on merchant services similar to 2 checkout. Someone ought to come around eventually... Check back here Monday.

9. Scott Botkins

Scott Botkins Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright thanks, I also have moneybookers which may seem good. But I believe I will give 2checkout a chance. Any more feedback or options would be appreciated. Thanks for the help so far.

Thanks,
    Scott

10. mystic

mystic Active Member

Best Answers:
    mystic, Oct 24, 2005 IP
  11. wkw

wkw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it's probably good to begin with paypal or one of the services listed above then down the road evaluate whether the costs of having your own merchant account (and setting up whatever software needed to submit transactions) is more cost effective.

wkw, Oct 24, 2005 IP