1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please help me with "else"

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Divvy, Sep 16, 2015.

I need some little help, if someone can help me I really appreciate :)

I have this code:
    <?php echo $post_external_link = (get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true))?'<a href="'.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'" '.$nofollow_tag.'>'.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'</a>':'#'; ?>
    PHP:
    I want to display:
    '.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'
    Code (markup):
    Or else:
    '.get_post_meta($post->ID, 'domaintag', true).'
    Code (markup):
    How I put in the code?
    I tried this but didn't worked:
    Can someone help me? Thanks! :)

Solved! View solution.
    Divvy, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    What you have there is a short-form if / else already.
    First bit is the
    (get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true))
    This is the if-statement, followed by a ? (question mark) for what is shown if that condition is true, namely here:
    '<a href="'.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'" '.$nofollow_tag.'>'.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'</a>'
    On the end, you have a : (colon) followed by a '#';
    I'm not entirely sure what that # is there for, but if it's just some form of placeholder, you can add the code in your ELSE after that : (colon) (instead of the '#'

PoPSiCLe, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  3. Divvy

Divvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey buddy, thank you again for your help!

Unfortunately my php knowledge is not so good... can you help me if I give you full code of the file?
    http://paste2.org/J2saOL6O

Divvy, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  4. Divvy

Divvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Btw, I tried this code:

<?php echo $post_external_link = (get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true))?'<a href="'.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'" '.$nofollow_tag.'>'.get_post_meta($post->ID, 'domaintag', true).'</a>' : get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true); ?>
    PHP:
    first domaintag and second post_external_link... but didnt worked :(
    Only shows domaintag...

Divvy, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    You need to copy all of it, including the <a> tag.

Something like this:

<?php echo $post_external_link = (get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true))?'<a href="'.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'" '.$nofollow_tag.'>'.get_post_meta($post->ID, 'post_external_link', true).'</a>' : '<a href="'.g
    et_post_meta($post->ID, 'domaintag', true)
    .'>'.get_post_meta($post->ID, 'domaintag', true).'</a>';

PHP:
    Typed this on my phone, so there might be errors

PoPSiCLe, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  6. Divvy

Divvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey buddy, thank you for your reply and for trying to help me again.

I tried that but didnt worked.... the code that I used:
    <?php echo $post_external_link = (get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true))?'<a href="'.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'" '.$nofollow_tag.'>'.get_post_meta($post->ID, 'domaintag', true).'</a>':'<a href="'.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'" '.$nofollow_tag.'>'.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'</a>'; ?>
    PHP:
    Only the first <a> is working... after the : is not working... but if I switch 2nd <a> with the first, worked fine :/

Full code: http://paste2.org/ZAkb6GUj

Divvy, Sep 17, 2015 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    I'm a little confused - first you check get_the_ID() with 'post_external_link' and true - if that check returns true (what comes directly after the question mark) you load the same (that you just checked) in the HREF of the a-tag, but for some reason you're using another get_post_meta as the link name - which I don't get. Wouldn't the smart thing be to use the same get_post_meta for both the HREF and the link name?

PoPSiCLe, Sep 17, 2015 IP
  8. Divvy

Divvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, I'm going to explain better what I want to do, I think that is better for a better understanding :)

With this code:
    <?php echo $post_external_link = (get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true))?'<a href="'.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'" '.$nofollow_tag.'>'.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'</a>':'#'; ?>
    PHP:
    Appears like this:
    [​IMG]

And with this code:
    <?php echo $post_external_link = (get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true))?'<a href="'.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'" '.$nofollow_tag.'>'.get_post_meta($post->ID, 'domaintag', true).'</a>':'#'; ?>
    PHP:
    Appears like this:
    [​IMG]

I want to show always the 1st code get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true)
    But If custom field is added, I want to appear custom field first: get_post_meta($post->ID, 'domaintag', true)
    So I need href to be the same, but only "title" changes...

[​IMG]

Can you help me? :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    Divvy, Sep 17, 2015 IP
  9. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Aha. My bad, I misunderstood what you wanted.

<?php echo $post_external_link = '<a href="'.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'" '.$nofollow_tag.'>'.(get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true) ? get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true) : get_post_meta($post->ID, 'domaintag', true)).'</a>'; ?>

PHP:
    This should in theory do what you want - I've moved the comparison / difference into only the visible link-part, instead of the whole code (the <a>-tag stays the same, only the visible link changes, as I understood you wanted it.

PoPSiCLe, Sep 17, 2015 IP
  10. Divvy

Divvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you again for your help buddy, but unfortunately didnt worked ;(
    Sorry for waste your time with this...

I added your code and the url that appeared was the given by get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true):
    [​IMG]

and in this one should appeared other one because I have custom field in there:
    [​IMG]

Any more ideas? :)

Divvy, Sep 17, 2015 IP
  11. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Hm - I'm thinking that it will ALWAYS equate to true about the post_external_link - ie, that will always be what triggers, it will never get to the else-part, even if you use that custom tag.
    Try switching the two checks around - ie, check to see if the domaintag-one is present, and if it is, show that - if not, show the post_external_link.
    Basically, change the check (the content within the first ()) and switch the two results with eachother.

PoPSiCLe, Sep 18, 2015 IP
  12. Divvy

Divvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey buddy, thank you once again!! :)

My php knowledge is very poor... so I didnt understood too well what you tried to say... Will give you lots of work to write that code for me? :)

Thank you once again!

Divvy, Sep 18, 2015 IP
    Try this one:

<?php echo $post_external_link = '<a href="'.get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true).'" '.$nofollow_tag.'>'.(get_post_meta($post->ID,'domaintag',true) ? get_post_meta($post->ID, 'domaintag', true) _ get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true)).'</a>'; ?>

PHP:
    Granted, this assumes that the check for domaintag is correct

14. Divvy

Divvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeahhhhh is finally working !!! Thank you bro !!! :D

When I added the code appeared an error, after checking the code I notice this:

? get_post_meta($post->ID, 'domaintag', true) _ get_post_meta(get_the_ID(),'post_external_link',true)).
    PHP:
    I replaced the "_" with the ":" and worked :)

Thanks to you!! Thank you once again!!!

Divvy, Sep 18, 2015 IP
  15. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Ops - sorry about that :) Probably went a little fast, and I missed the correct button. Glad you got it working.