1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

please help me understand directories.

Discussion in 'Directories' started by brb, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I'm not sure I understand why ppl start up new directories. Please help me understand. Do many ppl still find web sites through directories as opposed to search engines.

As well what is the difference between a directory and a page that might be penalized as a link farm?

I apologize if anybody is offended by this post as it was only intended for me to learn about directories.

brb, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  2. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People rarely search for something in directories (excluding the large ones like DMOZ and Yahoo). Most people simply are looking for a link to their site, which is good for Google PageRank.

Basically they are just a random collection of links. Link farms typically are not human-reviewed and will list any site. They are also not likely to be categorized.

EveryQuery, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  3. Jufcy8200

Jufcy8200 Banned

Best Answers:
    Directory will only bring your site a handful of traffic unless it's a nitch directory. For example, we web designer directory.

Jufcy8200, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  4. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    directory owners earned thru
    - paid listings
    - Premium membership
    - googleads/ypn
    - other advertisers
    - selling links

that's why more and more people started their own directory and besides directory is not that hard to maintained..only webmasters search thru web directories. ;)

bentong, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  5. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    One exception is a thematic directory and/or links section contained with a larger website. For instance, an agricultural website might have a directory of companies which are exclusively involved in that industry.

The users of the website would use that directory if it reasonably well structured, while the occasional web master may stop by to see if they are listed and request inclusion.

clancey, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  6. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SEs should like human edited directories too, they help them better categorize a site

rehash, Jan 31, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  7. arshid

arshid Peon

Best Answers:
    main purpse of directory is to help you icrease google PR ,and that is done by backlinks to your site from high PR webdirectories

arshid, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  8. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Arshid - If your info differs from the rest of the thread it's because the last post prior to yours was written in the first half of George Bushes 2nd term. Try answering in more recent threads so we won't get a clutter of old ones at the top of the forum. ~ Thanks :)

robjones, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  9. kumarsaran

kumarsaran Peon

Best Answers:
    Directories are one another helpful way of listing multiple sites, categorically arranged for easy access and understanding.

People use directories like search engine only in few popular site. For web site owners Directories offer one another link, In return directories earn on listing charges and advertisement.

Niche is must

kumarsaran, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  10. hitman1988

hitman1988 Peon

Best Answers:
    i have always found directories useful for business. However Dmoz still hasnt listen my company after 6 months!

ill just keep waiting ha bad times!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
    hitman1988, Sep 30, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.