1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please help me find a directory script with this feature...

Discussion in 'Scripts' started by coolcarolyn, Dec 17, 2005.

I feel like this is really hard to explain, but here it goes...

I want to have about 10 link pages on my site, each being a different link category and manage them through a link directory script. I want to write a couple paragraphs for each link page and add a photo and have them displayed above the link list on each page. I want the text in the paragraphs and the photo along with the paragraphs to be different for each link category/page. The purpose of the paragraphs are to explain what the links on each page are all about and add a couple in-site links to other related pages as well.

Here's my question...is there a link script where I could paste separate snippets of html code on each customized page that I create in my html editor, in order to call each separate list of links I create in the script?...instead of just pasting one snippet of html code for the whole directory. For example...let's say I create 10 link categories in the script and one of the link pages is Votive Candles. In my html editor, I would create a page for Votive Candles, design my paragraph with a votive photo...then I would paste a snippet of code from the script below the votive paragraphs in order for my list of Votive Candle links to be displayed right under my votive paragraphs.

I've looked high and low for link directory scripts, but don't know if this is possible to add the separate snippets of code in my pages for each category.

The reason I want to do this? I know I've seen directory scripts where I can create a custom paragraph above each list of category links for each directory page...in fact I'm using one right now. BUT, I can't add a photo and really customize the text above each list of links as much as I want.

Please let me know your thoughts. I need some guidance with this.

Thanks,
    Carolyn

CandleFind.com - The Site for Candle Lovers!

coolcarolyn, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    WSNLinks will do this easily. You can add custom fields to the category definition - allowing you to add the paragraph and photo.

I've got the latest version working at RealState and a very old version on my property investment directory. Now, I wouldn't normally go pointing you at the old version except that I've done exactly what you want so it's a great "proof of concept"

For example: Idaho Property has a custom link to DMOZ, a blurb written by a contributor and a photo. The system lets me set these up very easily - using the template tool to modify it. No programming.

If you use the free version you need to use phpMyAdmin to add the fields - but the $30 for the license is worth it.

sarahk, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  3. coolcarolyn

coolcarolyn Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you SarahK!!! I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm so glad you found my message and replied because I just started to talk to a programmer about doing something custom for me, but I'd much rather use something that's been used over and over and has a lot of features like WSN. I would definitely buy the professional version. How is the support with WSNLinks? Please let me know...I hope it's quick and helpful because I'm sure I'll be needing them a little to set everything up.

Thanks again! You have no idea how much I appreciate this because searching online forever looking at so many different directory scripts makes my head spin! :eek:

Carolyn

coolcarolyn, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  4. dynn

dynn Notable Member

Best Answers:
    sarah,
    what are editor your are using to custom made the WSNLinks ?

dynn, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    WSNLinks comes with it's own templating tool - which is basically editing the pure html

FWIW I wouldn't use dreamweaver or anything like that to edit it. You don't need alot of html skills to edit them, but it all depends on how much you need to tweak. Quite alot is in the stylesheet.

sarahk, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  6. dynn

dynn Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ok...i have to try...

dynn, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  7. vrsane

vrsane Active Member

Best Answers:
    wsnlinks is really nice script... it has whole lot of features...

vrsane, Jan 8, 2006 IP