1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please help me choose right database

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by asmaster, May 30, 2009.

1. hemanthpammu

hemanthpammu Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Dude, MySQL is the best database which i have ever seen for web applications. One fact is that Google is getting 70 % of revenue on adsense. They are using Sun's open source MySQL database for their Adsense data storage.

hemanthpammu, Jun 10, 2009 IP
  2. korquee

korquee Peon

Best Answers:

Yes, PostgreSQL is best for me, but you must ready for back up your files. Because this database not prepared for best way and world class database. Evn Microsoft,Mysql,Oracle. Oracle is so expensive but they are same in collaboration in security.

cyberhubweb.com

korquee, Jun 12, 2009 IP
  3. madihrb

madihrb Member

Best Answers:
    I will vote for mysql

madihrb, Jun 14, 2009 IP
  4. ceemage

ceemage Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you find mySQL too slow, I don't think you'll find PostgreSQL any quicker. By reputation, PostgreSQL has/had more functionality than mySQL, and hence tends/tended to be slower. (This gap may have closed a bit now that mySQL also has extra functionality like transactions.) If you find paid-for database software too expensive, your best bet is to see if you can speed up mySQL. Make sure you have the right indexes, make the right decisions about isam vs innodb, etc etc. There's lots of information about mySQL optimisation on the web.

ceemage, Jun 16, 2009 IP
  5. asmaster

asmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Today my host answered that $299 is price for 1 month! :confused:

But I found out Web edition, so I'll use it.

I tried Postgre - I didn't like it. It's difficult to manage + it's rather slow on Windows platform.
    I tried MySql - hm... I even didn't manage to install it correctly. And it has several versions... (InnoDB etc)
    Oracle - no comments!

Result: stay with MS SQL :D

asmaster, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  6. Zellach

Zellach Peon

Best Answers:
    PostgreSQL has worked great for me

Zellach, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  7. chisara

chisara Peon

Best Answers:
    You state that you might find MS-SQL expensive, you state that Oracle is expensive. Without going into details they both cost money so they might be to expensive for you.

The problem is that you THINK that Mysql is slow, that's rather funny. You have not run any tests to confirm if Mysql or PostgreSQL are fast enough for your application.
    Instead you are asking a bunch of people on a forum without knowledge of your application/design/architecture for advice, without investing any effort of your own.

If your want an analogy here's one:
    A Ferrari Testarossa is a fast car, but if it needs to carry 30.000Kg of weight you might find that the Ferrari is rather slow.

chisara, Jun 18, 2009 IP
  8. asmaster

asmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    chisara, you're right, I haven't provided any detailed information.

But after several thoughts I decided to choose MS SQL. 4GB is enough for me at the moment.

Agree that both MySql and PostgreSql work worse on Windows.

asmaster, Jun 18, 2009 IP