1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please help me choose right database

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by asmaster, May 30, 2009.

Hello,

I host some sites on Windows server and I need a good database. Currently I'm using MS SQL Express, but I'm afraid that the size of my database will soon be more than 4GB. What would you suggest?

I think that My SQL is too slow, Oracle is AWFULLY expensive (thousands of $ - they're mad). I like the idea of PostgreSQL - what'll you say?

Thanks

asmaster, May 30, 2009 IP
  2. Social.Network

Social.Network Member

Best Answers:
    There are several editions of SQL Server. SQL Express supports 4GB database size, but other editions are unlimited. Have you considered upgrading to Workgroup, Standard, or Enterprise editions? A previous client hosts billions of records on SQL Server with no problems.

Social.Network, May 30, 2009 IP
  3. oxidati0n

oxidati0n Peon

Best Answers:
    MySQL isn't slow. If you don't configure it properly then it becomes slow.

It depends if you're using MyISAM or something else on MySQL config. Google uses MySQL.

oxidati0n, May 30, 2009 IP
  4. asmaster

asmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I know that there are 3 paid editions. But when I checked the price at microsoft.com I was shocked - several thousands $...

Maybe you are right. But I checked several tests that show that in some common queries such as INSERT, UPDATE, SELECT MS SQL works 2-5 times quicker. And the bigger database is, the bigger difference is.

asmaster, May 30, 2009 IP
  5. oxidati0n

oxidati0n Peon

Best Answers:
    MSSQL is designed for more financially-based websites, and not apps.
    PHP is widely used alongside MySQL, so it must be good if "the" largest site on the web uses it (Google fyi).

More sensitive apps use Oracle or MSSQL.
    Don't forget, Facebook was built using PHP on a Oracle backend since 2004, because they handle 200 million+ users they need it. MySQL in huge volume (millions we're talking) starts to becomes expensive to keep running at a fast speed.

Even some financial services use MySQL, including PayPal.

oxidati0n, May 30, 2009 IP
  6. hello_welcome

hello_welcome Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MySQL is the best but you should to maintain it correctly thanks

hello_welcome, May 30, 2009 IP
  7. gbit

gbit Active Member

Best Answers:
    MySQL slow what are you talking dude. Its best and the thing is that if you run it on fast machine then it will work fast.
    Apart from this its configuration also reflects its working.

gbit, May 30, 2009 IP
  8. the-big-boss

the-big-boss Peon

Best Answers:
    mysql is good however it may become slow if uncorrectly configured

the-big-boss, May 30, 2009 IP
  9. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    MySQL, Postgre, or a higher version of MSSQL would all be fine. The licensing fee with MSSQL could get really expensive though. If you need to use this for a web server, you need the per-processor license which costs upward of $5,000. You could buy a really nice dedicated database server (2xQuad Processors, 16 - 32Gb RAM, RAID 10 SAS, etc...) for the cost of the MSSQL license. A dedicated MySQL server on that hardware is going to destroy whatever MSSQL setup you would otherwise have.

As far as performance goes, the difference on MSSQL and MySQL on the same hardware is going to be mostly negligible until you get into a very large data-set, or if the database is not properly configured. MySQL takes more understanding to properly configure, but it's free, and it's fairly scalable. Personally, I would only use INNODB for storage. It's easier to configure, it offers better data protection, and supports foreign key relationships.

jestep, May 30, 2009 IP
  10. T.Guru

T.Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    Mysql would be your best bet. It is unexpensive and can sustain large amounts of data. It can perform large operations quickly and you should not forget that big companies and projects use mysql as a database.

T.Guru, Jun 2, 2009 IP
  11. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    This shouldn't be the case. I've worked in production environments that have used DB2, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, and MySQL. MySQL is quite adequate for most volumes of data if you index the data properly. If you have huge volumes of data (tables with tens or hundreds of millions of rows) then you'll need to configure MySQL to spread your tables and tablespaces over several physical disk drives...but you'd have to do it for all the other databases listed above to get their optimal performance.

freelistfool, Jun 2, 2009 IP
  12. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If someone giving you advice has only worked with MySQL, they're opinion is worthless. MySQL is better in many situations. PgSQL is better in situations. Oracle, MSSQL and DB2 are better in most situations saving a cost restriction.

You need to look at your exact situation, your management capabilities, your budget. Make a decision based on these. 90%+ of the people that respond on this and any other online forum have only used MySQL. It is not the best in most situations. It is the cheapest, but not the best, good enough most of the time. It's free, it's easy, and it's readily available. Look at all your options before making a decision!

jestep, Jun 2, 2009 IP
  13. anurdh65

anurdh65 Peon

Best Answers:
    SQL server or My SQL is the best for the database. Install it as per the procedures & check the configuration. If it all works it wont get slow processing

anurdh65, Jun 3, 2009 IP
  14. nguoituyet

nguoituyet Peon

Best Answers:
    Facebook uses Mysql, not Oracle. Although they had to rewrite some part of Mysql but even without doing that, Mysql is still the best choice for startups or small companies. About the speed, MySQL is really fast, even compare to Oracle. So in short, go for MySQL.

nguoituyet, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  15. bluebenz

bluebenz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yep..
    mysql is fast but you have to maintain correctly and configuration.

bluebenz, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  16. oxidati0n

oxidati0n Peon

Best Answers:
    Facebook uses Oracle as a change from MySQL.

MySQL is a overall backup from Oracle, but Oracle is their main data processing system now.

oxidati0n, Jun 5, 2009 IP
  17. captaincore

captaincore Peon

Best Answers:
    MySQL if you're on a budget. SQL Server if you have a little budget. Oracle if you can afford it.

captaincore, Jun 6, 2009 IP
  18. asmaster

asmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the answers...

I forgot to mention that I have Windows Server 2008 SE Server with 4 GB RAM. Currently I don't have much data in my databases (something about 100,000 rows).

The point is that my hosting provider sells SQL Server SE for $299 only. I haven't asked them why the price is so low yet... but if it's so, then I'm certainly with MS SQL.

asmaster, Jun 10, 2009 IP
  19. D'Godown

D'Godown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MSSQL isnt slow, check your disk i/o thing, MSSQL is very very better then other solutions.

D'Godown, Jun 10, 2009 IP
  20. Lambofgod90015

Lambofgod90015 Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't believe MYSQL is slow.. I guess its all in the way you set it up. IMO, its the 'better' affordable choice. Hope this helps... >_<

Lambofgod90015, Jun 10, 2009 IP