1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please give me your opinion on this server

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by ZiskerHosting.com, Feb 9, 2016.

I am buying a server for hosting my web hosting company, I know I need to change the hard drives but what else do you think about it?
    Specifications:
    Dell PowerEdge
    -perc h700 raid
    -192gb ram ddr3
    -dual xeon 2.8ghz six core cpu
    -2x Dell Enterprise 146GB 15K SAS 3.5"
    -Dell SlimLine Optical Drive
    -Dual 570W Power Supply Unit
    -Broadcom BCM5709C 4 x iSCSI TOE NICs (4 On-Board Ports Total)
    -Embedded Matrox G200 8MBl
    -2U Rackmountable
    -Dell iDRAC6 Express Card
    -Rapid Rails

Solved! View solution.
    ZiskerHosting.com, Feb 9, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's not a bad server, but if you're gonna host an actual webhosting company, it'll fall short fairly quickly - depends on what your customers will want, of course, but still. The ram is decent, the drives are ok, but 6 cores... as soon as people start running heavy-duty setups on this, the performance will go to the basement. What's your network-setup? I see that you have 4 ports - bundling? separate? what limit per user?
    One server to host a webhosting company seems to me to be a bit optimistic. Normally you'd have fail-overs, separate servers, multi-machine setups etc.

PoPSiCLe, Feb 10, 2016 IP
    If you're just starting - that is good enough.
    I would suggest a Dual 6 core CPU if your budget allows. I'd also recommend SSD's in RAID10 (hardware).

If you're co-locating - make sure you have some spare hardware, and are close to the data centre (remote hands costs a bit).

Localnode, Feb 10, 2016 IP