1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please don't try to make money online

Discussion in 'General Business' started by scott_r, Apr 27, 2015.

I've been a very long time lurker of these forums and have been making an effort to contribute to some online communities as an experiment. But here at DP, there's always been this obsession here with "making money online" and "how can I earn $10/$100/$1000 each day/week/month".

But this isn't really solving a problem--yours or anyone elses, it's not improving the internet one bit, and it's just not the way a real true business is started. I think a lot of people here do want to actually run their own businesses, but instead they just want to piggyback on ideas that have already been done in hopes of getting half a percent of someone elses businesses without improving a thing.

It seems it's really just making the internet a worse place. I think people that just "try to make money online" are the reason I choose to install adblock, and the reason why most of the new content coming online is complete shit.

The question I've always wanted to pop into those threads and ask is simply, would you use or read the website that you claim will make money this way?

I'd love to hear what some others think on the matter. And what, if anything, can be done to steer the discussions here in a more worthwhile direction.

scott_r, Apr 27, 2015 IP
  2. Nick PPC.BUZZ

Nick PPC.BUZZ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Agree to this post. But you can do nothing about that, because this type of people (wanting to earn with no single effort) has always existed and will always exist. Even before the Internet was created such people participated in absurd financial pyramids and big money was indeed earned... on them, not by them :) And the worst thing about them is that they never learn from their mistakes.

Nick PPC.BUZZ, May 2, 2015 IP
    scott_r likes this.
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I'd agree that prolly 90% of those "make quick money" schemes do not and will not work for your average Joe, but the ones at the top will keep getting richer and richer. There are still some gold nuggets out there that should not be confused with the garbage. If you use them right and have some persistence and determination - you can succeed. You may not end up making millions, but you can still achieve a point where it will be your either main income or at least an additional one. And that's what most people want, anyway. I also realize that I have not said anything new, so you guys can just ignore my post.

qwikad.com, May 2, 2015 IP
  4. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DP is not the Internet!

Mkcoy, May 2, 2015 IP
  5. DungeonMaster

DungeonMaster Member

Best Answers:
    That's, unfortunately, where most people start. People aren't looking to create a business online, they're looking for money. After they get burned enough, they'll either give up or realize that their focus needs to be on providing value to others instead of self-serving.

DungeonMaster, May 11, 2015 IP
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    PT Barnum once said, "There is a sucker born every minute." And, that was loooong before the Internet, computers, television, radio, and telephones. Every new advance in technology creates new ways to make money, whether it is the original printing press or the new 3D printers. And there will also be people who want to jump on the bandwagon and begin making the "big bucks" that others seem to be making in the new markets that are often spawned by new technology. Unfortunately, many of these wannabe's have no relevant talents or skills and they are the ones that are most ripe to be taken in by the hucksters that invariably spring up to meet the suckers' needs.

What is different about the Internet is that the barriers to entry are perceived to be quite small ("All I need is a computer and an Internet connection!") so the unqualified wannabe's actually have the ability to get into the market and waste time and money chasing their "dream." Generally, these folks give up and disappear eventually, but they are replaced every minute with new, wide-eyed suckers, as PT said back in the 1800's.

jrbiz, May 11, 2015 IP
  7. DungeonMaster

DungeonMaster Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say that nearly everyone is qualified to start an online business, but you have to overcome that wide-eyed I'm-gonna-be-rich-overnight mentality to do it. The sad thing is that there are way too money people who are ready and willing to pander to these newbies, which just poisons the whole industry.

DungeonMaster, May 11, 2015 IP
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That may be the case, but very few are qualified to make that online business a success. Many years ago, my company was a PowerSeller on eBay with 20,000+ customers. The constant and relentless stupidity, incompetence, ignorance, and illiteracy of the eBay buying masses were almost overwhelming and we got out because of that issue alone. I began to lose confidence in the human race and my perception of the "average" person went way, way down. It was ugly and I can easily point to thousands of those customers that could NEVER put together the skills and knowledge that it takes to run a successful online or offline business.

jrbiz, May 11, 2015 IP
  9. jeffdveloz

jeffdveloz Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    100% agree, I was a powerseller also on ebay selling weightloss products and it is unbelievable that so many people are not able to comprehend something even when you give them step by step instructions, there will always be people who truly think they dont have to do anything to make money online and people will constantly make money off of them. Nothing can be done about it.

jeffdveloz, May 11, 2015 IP
  10. kaleidoscope

kaleidoscope Peon

Best Answers:
    Some people want something for nothing, but others are well aware that it takes hard work and time in order to make money online. I think it depends on what type of business you have - some are better than others.

kaleidoscope, May 11, 2015 IP
  11. hruz

hruz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Unfortunately, most people have it all backwards! They don't understand the process of growing and learning about life being the real enrichment which produces an income in the end ... how many do you know who actually understand the need for a constant learning process so you actually gain an insight into the efficient evaluation and analysis of reality so we can actually draw a line between valuable knowledge we can use to build a better understanding on, and mind polluting crap we get so much all day from commercial sources, politics and religion?

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
    hruz, May 11, 2015 IP
  12. farhan713

farhan713 Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can copy exactly the same thing what someone has done and make money with it provided:
    1. Few competitors in the market.
    2. Market to a different segment.

farhan713, May 12, 2015 IP
  13. Domain Lead Finder

Domain Lead Finder Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Most people will not make much out of their basic education let alone an internet product, the inherent weakness in all these "make money" products is mainly the user himself. I agree that some make money products are pure garbage but the bulk of them can be used with more or less success to actually make money. I remember being a newbie to internet marketing and being overwhelmed but the amount of information and products available, I did not go buying everything left and right but just observed what others were doing and this was valuable information for me as a beginner. I had to start from somewhere eventually and did buy a few products, and most of them did not work for me but I did learn what NOT to do and this in itself had value for me.

Domain Lead Finder, May 12, 2015 IP