1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Platinax Directory: Feedback invited

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by I. Brian, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    The Platinax Directory has only been running a few weeks, and is intended to be a useful resource in itself for business and webmasters.

I've pointed a lot of sponsorship towards it - there's a couple of thousand backlinks being indexed just to the Platinax Directory itself, let alone the Platinax homepage. I'm very serious not simply about promoting it, but also sustaining it over a long period of time.

Point is, I'm looking for feedback on how to make it more friendly to SEO's and webmasters.

A couple of specific issues I thought I would raise are:

1. Does paying a recurring annual fee (even as low as £9.95/year) put people off - or is that acceptable to serious webmasters?

2. Does the particular focus on UK local regions make it unattractive to US and Canadian potential clients?

3. Are there any glaring omissions from the categories that people would like to see?

4. I've allowed the same URL to be submitted to multiple categories - so if a person's site covers a couple of different areas, they can submit their site to each relevant category.

Is that attractive or irrelevant?

5. Instead of 4. above, I have the ability to set up a profile page for each submission instead.

Is multiple submission worth more than an additional profile page?

Anyway, feedback welcome. :)

http://www.platinax.co.uk/directory/

I. Brian, Nov 12, 2004 IP
    infonote likes this.
  2. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    you may want to tell people about all the links you have pointed to it so they know their 9.95 is worthy

leeds1, Nov 12, 2004 IP
  3. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    You mean before the next PR update? Definitely an idea - thanks for that. :)

I. Brian, Nov 12, 2004 IP
  4. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    you have to ask yourself why people would pay to be buried in a directory several layers down when you can do it well for free - so you have to sell the reasons behind it - if it's a PR8 then everyone will pay..

leeds1, Nov 12, 2004 IP
  5. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Too much Google adsense, nice clean design.. but yet another directory. Why would I pay to be listed in a directory?

DarrenC, Nov 12, 2004 IP
  6. nandini

nandini Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Brian is very serious when it comes to promoting stuffs...
    Another PR update is not far away, and the best reason to submit right now, you get the deal for 9.99...

The price might go upwards with the green bar ... :)

Why don`t you go for both.
    But IMO profile page is a sort of business card, and a user arriving at that page, will be more prone to go to the listed site under the profile. So you will sending more visitors to your webmasters ..:)

It also helps in link popularity. A profile page will not having that many links to be shared with a particular site..

-- Just my opinion --

nandini, Nov 14, 2004 IP
  7. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have confidence in Brian and his abilities. I’m sure he will develop this directory into a good and useful public service. I jumped at the chance to submit my site before the price went up “LOL”

stoner3221, Nov 14, 2004 IP
  8. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the comments - much appreciated. And, certainly, Platinax is going to be around for some time yet. :)

The point about selling the benefits of the directory is a definite issue I should look at - after all, Platinax doesn't offer simply "just another directory", but links from an authorative internet hub, with extensive advertising and investment behind it - I'll certainly need to build some kind of About page and make it very visible.

Also - too much AdSense? You're probably right - so I'm building a new right hand menu to advertise key feature of the site, from promotional articles, forum topics, and key areas of the directory.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments. :)

I. Brian, Nov 16, 2004 IP
  9. ! !

! ! Guest

Best Answers:
    the silver and white design/motif is excellent -

very pretty, very intuitively navigational, and fast loading

! !, Nov 16, 2004 IP
  10. PhilipB

PhilipB Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the site will do well. The design is nice too. Good Luck!

PhilipB, Nov 16, 2004 IP
  11. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    I'm not a UK person, but I like it just the same.

I like a clean design, and integration of the biz directory script is nicely done.

Just a note - if I click on a link under the 'Main Directory Categries' group, I lose my region. ie I have to navigate back to Australia again. A minor tweak :)

The variety of topics is also attractive.

Lets hope this one doesn't float around the sandbox for too long :)

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Nov 16, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.