1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pixels or Vectors for our online colouring project?

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by NickThomas, Jun 2, 2016.

I'm looking for any advice on how we can create a system to allow users to change the colour within an online graphic using a predetermined palette.

The website sells printed textile patterns and we want the user to be able to specify the colour in their design and see it with the new colour. It would need to work on PC and mobile platforms.

Designs are created using a proprietary pixel based CAD system. Converting the files into vectors / illustrator files would be possible but far from ideal. The only solution I've heard so far uses SVG files which will be limited and a total ballache.

As I see it we have a few options when preparing / exporting the files for use in an online colouring system:

1) For simple, flat colour designs we could export to GIF files including a colour table of the separated colours.

2) As GIFs would not work for more complex tonal designs we could export to a Multi Channel TIFF where each colour have it’s own spot channel.

3) Alternatively each colour could be saved as an separate file (in any raster based file format) where they could be used as masks.

Does anyone know if these pixel based solutions could work?

Any advice or links to relevant resources would be gratefully recieved.

Nick

NickThomas, Jun 2, 2016 IP