1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pixel problem with new laptop

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by fadetoblack22, Jan 12, 2014.

I have just bought new laptop with a screen resolution of 1920x1080 px. However as the screen is only 13 inches, the text is too small to read. In order to get around this I have had to increase the size option in Display to 150%.

However because photoshop still deals with a pixel as a pixel, I can't take any screenshots from websites and overlay things as the pixels of the screenshots are bigger and so the relative sizes are each thing are different.

Any advice on this?

fadetoblack22, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  2. HuggyStudios

HuggyStudios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Change the resolution in display? (assuming you are using Windows)

HuggyStudios, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  3. fadetoblack22

fadetoblack22 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can do that yeah, but it kind of defeats the point of having a high res screen :(

4. meetdilip

meetdilip Active Member

Best Answers:
    13 inch screen is not something I will recommend to a graphic designer. Your best option is trying an external monitor.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    meetdilip, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  5. fadetoblack22

Best Answers:
    I use it to travel. If I really have to I will reduce the resolution. I just want to know if there were any other ideas.

6. meetdilip

meetdilip Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, out of ideas. Would have been helpful for you if chose a laptop with bigger screen. I guess what you use is a Windows tablet/laptop convertible.

meetdilip, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  7. website1337

website1337 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Zoom in on the webpage? "Ctrl" and "+" or hold Ctrl and Scroll. Zooming out is "Ctrl" and "-". As others have said, easiest is to scale down resolution to a good value. You can use a resolution while editing to make things easier and for example when watching a movie change to 1920x1080 to get a crisp screen

website1337, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    What exactly are you dicking around in photoshop actually doing to screencaps? Not certain I follow why you're having a 'problem'.

Of course, you could always just set one browser to ignore the native font size -- Chrome is usually a good choice for that since half the time it ignores the OS setting unless it was set before chrome was installed.

deathshadow, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  9. fadetoblack22

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I think I'm going to go with that option. It seems to be the best way. thanks.

I paste things into photoshop and as the resolutions are different, it doesn't work properly if I add stuff on top.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about setting one browser up differently.

fadetoblack22, Jan 13, 2014 IP
  10. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    I think that's the part I'm failing to grasp the point of... Just what are you 'adding on top' and to what end?

deathshadow, Jan 13, 2014 IP
  11. fadetoblack22

Best Answers:
    Screenshot of a site and adding a graphic to see if it works/fits before I add it to the html.

fadetoblack22, Jan 13, 2014 IP
  12. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    ... and the content auto-fits around that how exactly? Seems like a wasted step to me; but I don't dick around in photoshop and call it "design"; I add content to the markup then have the markup and content dictate the layout.

Of course, that's assuming the images are content.

Much less if you have a semi-fluid elastic responsive layout like you're supposed to, what good is the screencap since there is no fixed size.

Or are you working with an inaccessible crappy little stripe fixed width layout? You know that sleazy shortcut we've been told since HTML was invented not to do?

deathshadow, Jan 13, 2014 IP