1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Piratereports.com cause damange to my business

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by tech4, Mar 31, 2009.

1. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    Always great to hear the other side of a story, thanks for posting Piratereports!!!

hostlonestar, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  2. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ahh..piratereports is a member here. Curious if we can PM you here to report possible pirated and nulled VB sites.

RectangleMan, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  3. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    This is where you would report pirated forums ;)
    http://www.vbulletin.com/piracy.php

Brandon Sheley, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  4. Piratereports

Piratereports Guest

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately I am not active in any forums but I use Google Alert to tell me if there is any site I may wish to view mentioning Piratereports. The best piracy link is the vB one but if anyone wishes to have a more personal service for bulk cases or as a host wishing to be more proactive then of course I would arrange a helpful and speedier method as there is always a backlog and we just work the list in general.

Piratereports, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  5. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe you can ask DP to have a sticky you can subscribe to? Would be effective and easy method for people to post possible pirated VB's. Just a thought.

RectangleMan, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  6. Cal813

Cal813 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Did you notify the user of WHY you sent him a DMCA notice? And that reason not being the fact he was using a "non licensed" version of vB? If you knew there was a chargeback, then you must have sent him a notice "stating" that issue?

Unless you have no access the billing payments?

Regardless, I think there should be some kind of notice to users. If there is a chargeback, then an email should be sent to the user.

Cal813, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  7. Piratereports

Piratereports Guest

Best Answers:
    Chargeback's are notified by vB Licensing support and the payment source.

The email supplied with the purchase also got a copy of my DMCA and did not act on it as the network would not delete a site where the user provides either a DMCA counterclaim or some feedback for me to investigate.

It's unfortunate that the site was blocked but blaming the wrong people is just as unfortunate and I get rather fed up with being the first person to be on the end of misinformation having acted properly and in good faith and I am sure the hosts and networks feel the same.

We are the ones who are blameless and unfortunately the Internet has become a place to make libellous statement as it's just not worth the effort in general to litigate. Fortunately sensible people see through these spoil tactics.

Even if someone did make a mistake isn't it better to investigate first and state the facts rather than making spurious accusations, and as no one is perfect surely a logical and measured argument and quantified claim for compensation if appropriate is the better route.

Piratereports, Apr 10, 2009 IP
  8. Piratereports

Piratereports Guest

Best Answers:
    The vB piracy link is anonymous and comes out to me twice a week as a list and I have worldwide informants so another form of contact just makes my mailbox even fuller. If anyone wants to have something more formal use my contacts page to make contact and I will set something up. http://piratereports.com/index.php?page=contactus

Piratereports, Apr 10, 2009 IP
  9. Cal813

Cal813 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think if the user gets INFORMED about WHY their forum needs to be taken down. Then it's a valid excuse and the owner shouldn't be crying about it.

However, if you didn't state WHY you are asking them to take a forum down. Then that's stupidity on your part.

I know many users forget to change their forum url, or renew their licenses etc.. etc.. But if Jelsoft doesn't remind them, then I think you should IF you have that information. It's pointless sending a DMCA unless the user is infact using a pirated copy

eg. has had or has a valid license, but either forgot to modify the new url or renew the license. Than in that case your email should "STATE" the reason.

I could care less about how you take down sites, as I run owned licenses. But, I've seen to many of these threads everywhere. So either your doing your job wrong at times or people are trying to gain a sympathy gesture from others at times.

Either way, I think lots of these small issues can be resolved. I'm not sure how much information Jelsoft provides on licenses towards your investigations, but it should be enough so you can also HELP out the end user. I know if I was missing the /forum" from my url and I got a notice from you, I'd be fairly pissed.. unless it stated "You may possibly have not modified the url on your license properly". At least that way a customer "knows" what the problem is and can address it quickly. Also, chances are you know the forum is valid, but the user didn't place the proper URL, so it's pointless for you to threaten the user at all.

Cal813, Apr 10, 2009 IP
  10. Piratereports

Piratereports Guest

Best Answers:
    I think I have already pointed out that we did do our job properly, the user was advised, and that many of the posts you read (considering the amount of reports over many years a nominal amount) are half truths or often total misinformation.

Fraud chargebacks are not admin errors by users they are stipulations from a payment source that the license supplied did not result in income and also I know from experience that many of these licenses are imediately floated on warez forums and are multi installed.

My response to this thread is in relation to my company and how we can best protect our clients intellectual property and what a client does prior to that is a matter for them and for the user to question if he sees fit by the proper means. The shrapnel effect aimed at all concerned as payback is not valid especially when the user wants compensation then feels he has the right to damage innocent parties with incorrect statements about them.

Piratereports, Apr 12, 2009 IP
  11. MagicGunner

MagicGunner Banned

Best Answers:
    Pirate Reports are based right near me..

MagicGunner, Apr 12, 2009 IP
  12. Piratereports

Piratereports Guest

Best Answers:
    The staff are in Poland and Romania but yes I may be near you handling the Admin in general. I don't tend to report much myself nowadays unless its quicker to deal with a query than to pass it to staff as running the hardware and software is time consuming in itself and we are currently updating our own software in a major way.

Piratereports, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  13. tech4

tech4 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1) This is a lie. Charge back is a valid reason to take down a site. Was it a charge back? NO Ask Jelsoft to prove it. They say that a dispute happens and paypal drops it. These people are scums they do not check their information or verify anything. If there was a chargeback then they have every right to persue a DMCA case.

2) In my case the forum was physically deleted. (not down, or offline) but physically deleted. I am sure that's nothing to be frustrated about. Have you ever work on something for months and it was physically deleted?

3) Asking me to "apologize" to Jelsoft because I damage their reputation? I bought the software legally, right to held the license, they did not notify me or check their sources and say that they did not know what was going on.

Want me to apologize, saying that there was a chargeback? Was there a chargeback? No. There was not. What did Jelsoft say? They said that "there was a dispute", they did not know that it was drop.

Bullshit. The pirate junky probably didnt see my license listed under rental. Must have gone the extra steps to monkey around to think that since rental license is not there, it a case for DMCA if its not under rental. I think the Junky handles the rental license and got frustrated after finding that the license is not in his jurisdiction.

folks stay away from their pirate junky and their monkeying tactics. They are negligent people, and now they want me to apologize. If should buy Jelsoft software, you might have to go through what I have to.

Try putting time in months of work, even though you dont' make anything, paying for programmers and software and later to find its physically deleted. No explaination, just "good faith" and pirate monkeying from Jelsoft Negligent!

tech4, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  14. aisusa

aisusa Member

Best Answers:
    ds, he could sue in small claims court. No attorney needed. Plus he would win because the company didnt do it's due dilegence.

Why did they need to contact the host? Does vB not allow remote de-activation?

Also, find a new host. DMCA notices are suppose to be faxed or postal mailed. They do NOT have to be accepted via email. And a 3rd party can't send it w/out the copywrite owners signature.

aisusa, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  15. Cal813

Cal813 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed. I'd sue for damages of any losses. Also, you should be contacting your web host about how they ACCEPT DMCA notices.

PirateReports is just there to scare people. Check their stats, I don't think they've even sued anyone yet. They are a bunch of old guys, who are ripping Jelsoft off to make easy money and sending emails with the SAME copied message to hosts.

Heck, I should start my own piracy reporting company.

Think IPB will hire me? I can quit my regular jobs :D

Cal813, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  16. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good luck to the OP demonstrating that, if ever.

Dave Zan, Apr 19, 2009 IP
  17. mxmedia

mxmedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I would take vbulletin to court for the loss.
    They screwed up and contracted with the pirate site.
    They also provided incorrect info to them without verification.
    Just my thoughts.

mxmedia, Apr 19, 2009 IP
  18. Cal813

Cal813 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If he lives in the same city or country as Jelsoft, then it's NOT ever hard at all. If he wins, he can throw in the costs for loss of wage too.

Cal813, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  19. Piratereports

Piratereports Guest

Best Answers:
    If you read my posts you will see that I consider we are due an apology not Jelsoft or Paypal as I am not a party to their business dealings so I can't speak for them. I stated we have nothing you can sue us for as we have done nothing wrong and the stated facts at the time of our report are 100% true.

Piratereports, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  20. Piratereports

Piratereports Guest

Best Answers:
    Whoever you are don't give up your day job:)

Piratereports, Apr 20, 2009 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.