1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpbb3 Vs Vbulletin

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by amitpatel_3001, May 23, 2006.

I heard that phpbb3 is going to release now.
    Iam planning to take a vbulletin licence and my partner says that phpbb3 is going to challenge vbulletin.
    is that true?
    Shall i wait for it to get released and use it.
    in your point of your what do you think is more SE friendly? phpbb/vbulletin.

amitpatel_3001, May 23, 2006 IP
  2. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    At the moment VB is much better out of the box, though PHPBB can be configured to do pretty much anything that VB can do.

Having said that I'd always use VB ahead of PHPBB as it just looks slicker and more professional to me.

I'm always concerned by the number of security issues with PHPBB also.

I've not seen PHPBB3 yet though so hopefully it'll be a nice surprise.

MattUK, May 23, 2006 IP
  3. seolion

seolion Active Member

Best Answers:
    phpbb used to have some sort of issues in the past due to its security faults.. But we should appreciate the youngsters who are working behind it and their efforts..
    I am sure it will challenge any other forum software for times to come..

seolion, May 23, 2006 IP
  4. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    I think the main security faults that phpbb use to have were all related to lazy web masters that didn’t bother to upgrade. Don’t forget that there is something like 250.000 forums running on phpBB. I do agree that vB looks better and more professional than phpBB.

Emperor, May 23, 2006 IP
  5. windy

windy Active Member

Best Answers:
    vbulletin is better.

windy, May 23, 2006 IP
  6. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    vBulleting will be much more SEO friendly, phpBB has no interest in SEO themselves (still using session ID's even, and plenty of duplicate url's (6 different url's in some cases) going to the same threads. phpBB 3 is the exact same, no effort whatsoever in removing SID's or Dup url's. Fortunately you can make these modifications yourself.

mdvaldosta, May 23, 2006 IP
  7. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    All my fanboy opinions aside there is one major advantage that vbulletin has that phpBB3 just can't compete with. It's called www.vbulletin.org

The hacks/mods community is in a word, amazing.

And with the vbulletin plugin feature most hacks these days don't even require tampering with code!

You just can't beat that.

GeorgeB., May 23, 2006 IP
  8. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    phpBB also has an enormous array of available hacks and mods.

Will.Spencer, May 23, 2006 IP
  9. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    You can make phpBB competent with anyother bulletin software even today.It is wonderful open source software.

Mong, May 23, 2006 IP
  10. mikelbeck

mikelbeck Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I used to be big into phpBB, and then one day got turned onto vBulletin. I haven't looked back... Every time I'd put together a new phpBB site the first thing I'd do would be to add a whole load of hacks to it to make it close to what I wanted, which I found was pretty much what vBulletin was out of the box. And now with the plug-in system in vBulletin, adding hacks is so much easier than phpBB could ever be, even using EasyMOD.

I'm never happy about paying the money up front for the vBulletin license, but in the long run it's much easier to maintain, looks better and seems to be more stable than phpBB.

mikelbeck, May 23, 2006 IP
  11. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    They've been saying phpBB 3 was going to be released for a while now, are they for real this time?

dcristo, May 23, 2006 IP
  12. zdestiny

zdestiny Peon

Best Answers:
    zdestiny, May 23, 2006 IP
  13. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    well phpBB is also SEO friendly if installed with proper mods.... the worst thing in phpBB is that for everything we have to go on hacking the source code. ... thats really risky and consumes time. Well but when installed with proper mods .... phpBB can be equal to vBulletien

aditya_sfs, May 25, 2006 IP
  14. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    amitpatel_3001, May 26, 2006 IP
  15. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    phpbb3 is gonna suck...it's still far behind SMF or Mybb let alone VB. PHPBB won't even add a quick reply to their software. The philosophy of their coders is JUNK. It's being all run by fools with little ambition and big egos.

PHPBB3 will make all phpbb2 mods useless and the mod community I think will jump ship. The value in phpbb2 is the mods and that's it's free. However phpbb3 will lose the mods it currently has and there are better free solutions.

I still am not a fan of VB though.

Consider one of these.

http://www.mybboard.com Mybb Close to VB style
    http://www.getvanilla.com Vanilla Very light and original forums
    http://www.simplemachines.org SMF lots of mods and support
    http://www.punbb.com Punbb very streamlined for small sites and easy integration

RectangleMan, May 26, 2006 IP
  16. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    I guess we’ll have to wait to see. Personally I never liked phpbb much.

Emperor, May 26, 2006 IP
  17. -Abhishek-

-Abhishek- Regaining my Momentum!

Best Answers:
    Actually, one of the main problems of phpBB is that fact that it’s not exactly rich in features. Sure, the basic feature set might be enough for most of us, but people like me won’t ever be satisfied with it. Sooner or later, we’ll end up “modding” it, that is enhancing its features by making changes to the code-base, incorporating more scripts and so on. And this is where the problem lies. By “modding” our board heavily to enhance its functionality, we will soon end up with a cluttered board: namely we will be unable to automatically install upgrades which are released not infrequently to address security issues.
    And phpBB, believe me, is notorious for its security issues, having recently been in the centre of media attention for the “highlight” exploits and the Santy worm which spread like wildfire using google to hack into phpBB powered boards. Another disadvantage of modding phpBB is that we’re likely to introduce new security issues as well when poorly coded “mods” are installed.
    In short, we’ll end up with a pretty cluttered board which would become a nightmare to maintain/upgrade.
    So I'd go with Vbulletin
    Abhishek

-Abhishek-, May 26, 2006 IP
  18. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    Every peace of software has mods, joomla, wp, etc… Every time you install one you risk opening up to virus and hackers.

Emperor, May 26, 2006 IP
  19. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I am now running both phpBB and vBulletin. My head hurts. :)

phpBB is good software. I upgraded to vBulletin because I was tired of re-building my phpBB templates during every phpBB upgrade, because vbSEO is only available on vB, because I prefer the "New Posts" feature of vB to the "View posts since last visit" feature of phpBB, and because the general look and feel of vB is more attractive to more forum members.

I am still getting the hang of vBulletin. Everything is in the wrong place. :D

Will.Spencer, May 30, 2006 IP
  20. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea I know what you mean. Having used phpBB for a long time it was alot more difficult to find what I needed in the VB control panel. Much more options though, but in the end I've decided to continue building in phpBB mainly for the mods and templates, there is just so much more out there with phpBB and it gives me what I need. I guess old habits die hard.

Ultimately my reasoning is phpBB has many, many more templates, more mods availailable, and of course it's free. This isn't biased either, I've used both. I do prefer VB from a user standpoint, it looks better in most cases and you've gotta love the ajax features their using now... but considering I could never find a template I liked I switched the site I was using it on back over to phpBB and sold the license. If you can mod phpBB to be fully functional and SEO friendly, the only reason for choosing VB is just preference... no real advantages.

mdvaldosta, May 30, 2006 IP