1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpbb3 : How unstable is it??

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by tms12, Jul 23, 2007.

Hey all,
    i was that a lot of DP members are using phpbb3, but if you go the the phpbb.com then they say that phpbb3 is unstable. I was trying to have an idea about unstability of phpbb3.
    Please reply if you use phpbb3 and how long you are using it for and what kind of problems you had.
    Thanks

tms12, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  2. frodosringfinger

frodosringfinger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anything can be hacked if somebody hates you enough. Doesn't matter what software you use.

frodosringfinger, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  3. fitnawake

fitnawake Peon

Best Answers:
    unless the phpbb.com says its become stabel - its still unstabel, so you got to belive what they say and not others - that would be the best option to get info right from the source.

The stable version comes in a short while, and you can upgrade your phpbb2 to a phpbb3 without any probs (as they say)

fitnawake, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  4. Endurer

Endurer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It has a few bugs at the moment and are being fixed accordingly. phpBB3 is for beta testing so you shouldn't take it live unless it's released as stable by the authors.

Endurer, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  5. ThatForumPlace

ThatForumPlace Peon

Best Answers:
    the way I see it 'unstable' means we haven't thoroughly tested it yet, don't blame us if something goes wrong. It does not automatically mean that it's flawed.

From a practical perspective, I've been using phpbb3 since it came out a few months ago, and have yet to find any sort of glitches or problems. If there were, I'm sure it's one of those obscure coding issues that would only be exploited by someone specifically looking to screw you over.

ThatForumPlace, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  6. ascensions

ascensions Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's got some major problems.... like not being able to access the acp, major SEO issues...

Some of the glitches effect some people and others it don't.

I'd highly recommend a seperate test site before going live.

ascensions, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  7. iMountain

iMountain Peon

Best Answers:
    The SEO issues already have mods that fix the problems.

I've heard of the ACP access issues, that's bout the only show-stopping bug I know of in phpBB3

iMountain, Aug 4, 2007 IP
  8. inworx

inworx Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not recommended to use the RC4 as thats unstable. phpBB community knows the exact number opf bugs in this version but still it needs stability.

inworx, Aug 5, 2007 IP
  9. Jackuul

Jackuul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    RC4 is currently running on one of my sites with no visible problems thus far. If no more errors are found with the RC4 release it will become gold, meaning RC4 will be 3.0. However, should more tweaks be needed, or otherwise core parts changed, RC5 will be on the way. The RC's may be "unstable" - however they are RC's, meaning Release Candidates. Of course you should not use one in a live environment yet, but they're quite stable when compared to the pre RC versions. Also, RC's offer updating from one to another, so these are supported to a higher degree than the betas.

I do recommend installing RC4 just to test it out and adjust to it - so far I am very impressed with the release candidate, and I hope to see this one, or RC5, become Gold. Saying an RC is unstable and should never be used is like saying Google News is in Beta and should never be used. Use it for testing, use it to get used to it, and hey, I'm running it live without a single issue thus far. Just weigh the possibilities of risks and benefits.

Jackuul, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  10. Baby Boy

Baby Boy Guest

Best Answers:
    phpBB is stable. Just because the authors says its "unstable" doesn't necessarily mean that its filled with bugs. If it was that unstable (to the point where they didn't think it was safe enough to run on a website, do you really think they would have released it?)

In all, phpBB in my opinion IS stable enough, whether the authors say it is or not. Just my .02 cents.

Baby Boy, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  11. M.IMRAN

M.IMRAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    they say it unstable because its still not complete .

and ofcourse the incomplete version of phpbb3 is unstable

M.IMRAN, Aug 17, 2007 IP