1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PHPBB vs VB - with regard to SE indexing

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by dcristo, Jan 27, 2006.

Google really seems to be taking a disliking to phpbb forums, not indexing very many pages.

Something which I really like about VB is the archiver feature.

Has anyone recently converted from PHPBB to VB and experienced a large increase in indexed pages in Google?

dcristo, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  2. Digilover

Digilover Guest

Best Answers:
    nops does vb have search engine detector

Digilover, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    huh :confused:

dcristo, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  4. Deal svengali

Deal svengali Guest

Best Answers:
    If you set them both up with a mod rewrite and functions to strip session IDs and to convert the URL to SE friendly urls. They both function the same.

Deal svengali, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  5. Claymation

Claymation Peon

Best Answers:
    Doing as stated above, I have had much success with SERPS on a phpBB site.

Claymation, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  6. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    I had all my pages indexed when i was on phpbb 40K+

After switching to VB i now only have around 14K indexed pages however the traffic from SEs went up.

mightyb, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  7. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    How well indexed was it with phpBB though? Was it just alot of pages cached with no title and description?

dcristo, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  8. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    You've got to do things on phpbb like remove all the places where bots can find duplicate URL's to the same content - view next topic, the title's that are links within viewtopic which are different than the url in viewforum. Also, unlinking the member id's etc. and adding h1 tags to the page titles, etc. are all very helpful.

I had a box stock phpbb install on www.offtopicz.com (but with SIDS removed) and after 8 months had 4 pages indexed in google. It was running smartor's portal. After some major SEO way above what the abletoknow mod offers and putting nofollows on all the unimportant pages and url's the site is now at 16,800 pages indexed 3 months later.

mdvaldosta, Jan 28, 2006 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  9. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Thanks for sharing your ideas.

With regard to the unlinking member id idea, do you mean just disallowing it in the robots.txt file, or completely removing the link in the source code?

Now you have me thinking the sudden decrease in pages could be attributed to linking out to bad neighbourhoods, with all the forum member spam registrations.

dcristo, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  10. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    put a nofollow tag on your memberlist.php and disallow it in robots.txt. Same thing for the register, login, faq, etc. links in your navigation. For the members, I'm referring to unlinking the member names from their profile. Why pass pagerank to member's profiles when they don't provide content? Get all your pagerank and links pointed to content pages.

Look at offtopicz.com for your example. You can do most of the work in the tpl files. If you "really" want to keep the site looking like you have it now you can at least put nofollow tags on the links. Just open the tpl and ctrl F to find your url strings and put the link condoms on all the stuff you don't want.

mdvaldosta, Jan 28, 2006 IP