1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpBB VS SMF VS MyBB

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Tarkan, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just_a_guy

just_a_guy Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no match when it comes to as which is the best forum, mybb or smf. Mybb takes the prize. Smf is a total joke. I will mention one thing and then rest my case :D

Smf is created in 2003. Now, 5 years back, can anyone tell me what new things Smf has introduced? Nothing at all, and when the users ask about new features, they get the same old replay. If you want that feature, use a mod. And not to mention that it is taking for ever to come out of the beta. As things are going, that might happen next year ;)
    Mybb was first created in 2005. And now, 3 years back it has introduced a lot of new great features that we all have seen. And I can not believe it when people actually try to compare the Smf Administrator Panel with that of Mybb. Come on people, you can be Steve Wonder not to see that Mybb is much better and superior than Smf. The only thing Smf has going is their forums community. Back when I was using Smf, I found it very useful. Whereas Mybb's community is nit that active. And their staff sometimes is rude.

just_a_guy, Oct 29, 2008 IP
  2. lufbra

lufbra Peon

Best Answers:
    It's strange how you say that SMF has EVERYHING, yet you admit that your forum is highly customized, what kind of forum would that be, and why would you use it if SMF has EVERYTHING? If it had EVERYTHING, anyone could create a "unique" forum!

I'm sure SMF is "hacker safe" just like all other forum software, otherwise why would folks be using the other software, and not just SMF?

It also strikes me as odd that they feel the need for this page...

Security

Perhaps when it's convenient for you, you'll answer my post above regarding to the fact that why the SMF Community has a forum for installation problems (something that you yourself stated nobody having a problem with), and why after doing a search of the Community, there's numerous posts regarding to forums being hacked!?

Can you please provide evidence towards such a statement?

lufbra, Oct 29, 2008 IP
  3. MrSandMan

MrSandMan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You make no sense. Where did I say "everything" and what does "everything" include? Why would "everyone" want "everything"?

That's what MODS are for. MODS are so each forum webmaster can pick all the MODS he would like to have or NEEDS for his forum's niche.

Would a forum in the niche of 'young mothers talk on how to raise children' need a guitar tabulator addon and a music player? I wouldn't think so...

Again, you make no sense and your points are mute. If you like MYBB and their "out-of-the-box" softwar, then by all means, use it.

I personally like the flexibility of SMF. I like my forum to be safe and like my forum to be different than 3 million other forums out there.

Not everyone cares about having a unique forum that stands out, I do want a unique forum. Therefore, I'll use SMF.

To me, MYBB looks generic, plus with all the horror stories along with the vB ripoff style, lack of mods and templates is a complete deal breaker for me. But, of course, my goal is to build a high-quality successful forum, so I picked the best free software available for my needs. :)

MrSandMan, Oct 29, 2008 IP
  4. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally i have used phpBB2(Not 3), SMF and MyBB.

MyBB was by far the best.
    As for customising have a look at the football link in my sig, it has totally custom forums which i based on the theme of the wordpress section of my site. I managed to customise it and by no means a coder or designer, however with a bit of hard work it can be done (About 10 hours).

tony84, Oct 29, 2008 IP
  5. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you even checked what SMF2 offered? Not a very logical statement as SMF is always in development. So I ask what is so more superior about your beloved myBB that SMF can't do?

Try vB and you will see what I mean. It looks like almost everything was based from vb. Postbits to topics, ect. ect. Also rumors are myBB1.2 or 1.0 or whatever was copying vb code. I'm not sure if its true or not but makes sense to me.

Of course theres a page for security where you cant even find it. You can actually read how corrupt the myBB security process is at my forums. (http://www.egadforums.com/index.php?topic=132.msg613#msg613) As far as I know theres no security issues or threats in SMF the only problem would be with low php/mysql versions.

No offense to your or your community but that still resembles the default myBB theme greatly. Though you made the colors look a lot better.

shadow82x, Oct 29, 2008 IP
  6. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why is there a need to do a complete overhaul of a very intuitive and good display system. Take for example..DP. It's just color and image changes. imho that's more than enough if the base html is laid out well and with mybb...it is.

You're talking about that vulernerability?

That's released Oct 27th and within hours:

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-39705-post-266332.html

Seems like a fast response to me.

Of course not. If you KNEW about them they would plug them...same as mybb, vb, or phpbb.

But I will profess...mybb isn't as on-the-ball as SMF when it comes to security. However it's really up to every admin to run good backups of their site on a regular basis and to regularly update.

People use Windows because of it's features and extensibility. It's security is secondary. The same holds true for mybb. We give up a little security in exchange for more forum functions and features. It's a trade off. Everyday life people make similar decisions and often security is less important.

It is dissappointing to read about this though from here.

Oh and concerning the latest security release of mybb...read this from Chris B. ( found of mybb)

He posted that at adminzone today. Puts a different light on things doesn't it? I really wonder about the whole VB problem early on. Reality is we don't know what happened. What I know though is that mybb has continued and I don't see any credit given to VB. That tells me whatever issue there was...is resolved amicably.

Oh and here is another happy admin moved from VB to Mybb:
    http://community.mybboard.net/thread-39609.html

Now that's progression for you. :)

RectangleMan, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  7. Aldo

Aldo Peon

Best Answers:
    At least SMF is a lot more secure... MyBB has already had 3 security updates in less then 2 months... Quite a few of which were High and Medium risk... while SMF has had, what..? 1 maybe even 2 (at the extreme) in the last YEAR....

Aldo, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  8. silent_thunder

silent_thunder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Check my new phpbb3 forum,the forum in my signature, Designing a style for PHPBB3 is the easiest thing ever and look at the flexibility of the software. I have so much more added to the basic PHPBB3 package.Like arcade,gallery and chat.phpbb3 is the ultimate in Open source forums

silent_thunder, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  9. erhythm

erhythm Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey,

I really don't know what smf is all about?? i am not used to it, but i used to PHPBB3, it's quite awesome i guess. but still i am finding some difficulties, so tell me something about SMF clearly..

Thanks in advance!!

Regards
    Erhythm

erhythm, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  10. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't call phpbb very flexible as you have to manually upload all theme files and use custom edits to get a mod. You get spend hours installing one mod. Its crazy.

http://simplemachines.org

;)

shadow82x, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  11. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    We will see if that holds true when the SMF major update is actually released. It probably will but who knows. Certainly the SMF guys are better at security than the Mybb guys at this point. I don't see anyone really saying Mybb is more secure than SMF...just when people say having a mybb forums means your not secure..well that's a bit of a fallacy really.

RectangleMan, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  12. pripatel93

pripatel93 Peon

Best Answers:
    pripatel93, Nov 1, 2008 IP
  13. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    Actually...I think that forum looks great myself. It's not traditional and that huge font works very well.

RectangleMan, Nov 1, 2008 IP
  14. MrSandMan

Best Answers:
    Can you please quote my post where I said his forum 'looked great'. That would be very much appreciated.

If I remember correctly, I was pointing out how successful his SMF forum is. I just took a look and there were HUNDREDS of users online ever second. Not too shabby, I must say.

MrSandMan, Nov 1, 2008 IP
  15. Sir Rusty

Sir Rusty Guest

Best Answers:
    MyBB all the way!!!
    With the Modifications = phpBB all the way!
    With customization of skins = SMF all the way!

Sir Rusty, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  16. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would not comment about other forums looking ugly taking a look at your forum. << No offense >>

And I believe the topic of argument was how successful SMF can be and there bigger forums than that. Theres over 75 forums with over 500,000 posts.

shadow82x, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  17. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    Take a look at my MyBB forums I made as a result of the argument in this topic: Programming Forums

Feel free to register and post to test it out.

I think it looks better than phpBB, works better. Also plugins were easy to install.

I started this thread assuming that MyBB was the worst, but it seems pretty good to me.
    I haven't seen too many good examples of SMF. I know vB is still good, so is IPB, but they are paid.

Tarkan, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  18. MrSandMan

Best Answers:
    Glad to see that you [and rectangleman] finally got it to work. I hope you have no more issues with it. And remember, be sure to make backups often in case it gets hacked and wiped out.

Good luck!

MrSandMan, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  19. Mmarzex

Mmarzex Member

Best Answers:
    wow so sad you have to resort to sarcasm. Because I just know that smf is perfect its a work of god himself. God said in a message to a person to create smf and it will be perfect.

I have alittle insight for you if it was created it has something wrong with it everything does nothing will ever be perfect.

Mmarzex, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  20. MrSandMan

Best Answers:
    Wishing someone luck with their new forum is sarcasm? Ummm... okay :confused:

Welcome to the forums, by-the-way. I hope you enjoy your stay and learn much.

Cheers-

MrSandMan, Nov 2, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.