1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpBB VS SMF VS MyBB

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Tarkan, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, MyBB offers a lot of features, maybe not as much as vB but all the important ones. And hence vB loses all its importance because of their high cost requirements.

Tarkan, Oct 25, 2008 IP
  2. lufbra

lufbra Peon

Best Answers:
    It's about as original as your calling folks "Slappy"s", but I guess that in your books you're the only one who can get away with name calling!

Why make such a statement when you yourself are defending your beloved SMF software.....This makes me think of one word, hypocrite!

I noticed at the SMF Community there is indeed a forum specifically for Installation/Upgrade problems. Yet if I was to read this post thread and more specifically your posts regarding to problems installing forum software, I'd sure as heck "run" to SMF wanting to install and use it.....But wait, again according to your posts regarding taking some time in finding what software is comfortable for folks then finding the link above through research, I'd then come to realize that your post threads here are extremely misleading, and that the fact is many folks do have problems installing SMF onto their servers........Now who's for real!

Please show where this notoriety is, instead of trying to mislead folks here once again. There has been not one piece of forum software that I've worked with that hasn't had "hack" problems, it doesn't matter whether the software is free, or a "paid" software, they've all been hacked and will carry on being hacked. Just for the record too, and to show that your beloved SMF isn't exactly "hack free", I ran a "forum hacked" search at the SMF Community and you'd be surprised how many there has been, I guess you missed all of them just like you missed the "installation" problems folks have over at SMF!

I just found this tidbit that you posted. After bragging about how secure and safe SMF is, the above statement doesn't quite make it seem that way! Anyone with any forum software experience knows that keeping the software updated has a better chance of it being the most secure possible!

You accuse folks of lying in this post thread, when you yourself haven't exactly been honest or forthright with your pathetic statements! You've accused folks for being biased towards software, yet it's okay for you to do this yourself!

Have fun reading the SMF install problems, and reading about the "hacked" SMF forums. :)

lufbra, Oct 26, 2008 IP
  3. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think its pretty well known that SMF is more secure than myBB so dont even start that. The only reason people have been hacked is poor software on there server which can happen with ANY software as browsing through the myBB forum it does. There are no known security holes at all or have been in several months.

I wouldn't be trying to target SMF here buddy. The support is just more user friendly at SMF and can target more areas. Talking about support thats also a lot better than myBB any day.

Now kids you got to accept that people have PREFERENCE OVER A SOFTWARE. This topic rant can go on for ages.

shadow82x, Oct 26, 2008 IP
  4. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yup..SMF does have better support (larger community) and is overall more secure (less features to deal with securing). It's had less security flaws exploited.

But Mybb offers more options and has more features. I guess I would choose to use SMF if I was a total noob and required someone to hold my hand for FTP. I personally need more power and flexibility and that's why Mybb offers me. SMF has too many limitations and not enough flexibility or power imho. If you don't need a lot of features and you aren't going to update your forums when a release is made..then 100% use SMF.

The few that do have problems are just that...FEW. 99.9% of mybb installers have zero problems and they are just asking for help in customizing. The plugin system for mybb is by far the easiest way to extend a forum out of any software I have used.

RectangleMan, Oct 26, 2008 IP
  5. lufbra

lufbra Peon

Best Answers:
    If you took the time in reading and understanding my point, it's has nothing to do with how good/bad the support is, it's about the fact someone in this post thread states that one kind of forum software gives problems to folks installing it, when in fact the very same software that this particular poster rants and raves on about, does have folks having trouble installing it!

You hit the nail right on the head there, hence this whole post thread being a moot point to all and being a waste of time posting again.

lufbra, Oct 26, 2008 IP
  6. _Tim

_Tim Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe not alot of people do but i administrate on a site (www.b-asil.com) and we started with MYBB then moved to VB then IPB before deciding that MYBB is the best for our community and switching back. Every forum is different and every forum software caters to slightly different needs.

I think you are also underestimating RectangleMan (Labrocca) too, he is an extremely talented programmer and by far the biggest developer of MYBB plugins. As well as being a grown man he also has many very very successful forums. He seems to have a knack for creating successful forums.

If you are wondering who to believe i would definitely go with RectangleMan over someone who uses pre made wordpress and forum themes (the site which MrSandMan has in his DP http://www.gear-vault.com/), i would expect if you are the experienced web designer you say you are MrSandMan you would at least be able to make custom themes for your own website.

My personal preference does lie with MYBB however i am not going to start up some huge smear campaign like you have against other forum software because respect their opinions and their freedom of choice, something which you need to learn.

_Tim, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  7. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    Now that's interesting. I wonder how many can say the same about SMF?

I would also like to know the ratio of people that switch from Mybb-> VB vs the other way around. I see more and more people leaving VB as they tire of paying for a license or renewals for support options and upgrades. I don't understand their model of forcing people to pay yearly to get upgrade access. An owned license should be enough. $180 plus $40 a year... Is that going to break the bank? Probably not but for a site that may never take off it's a waste of good money. If I had to buy a license for all my forums I would be paying thousands to them. Mybb saves me literally thousands of dollars and oh boy I am appreciative.

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-38719-post-258882.html

That's another recent person switched from VB. I helped them get setup too.

I like this thread from 3 years ago:
    http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8036

It shows how far mybb has come. What's exciting is it's direction and what the next 2-3 years have in store for the software. It's obvious the direction of VB is beyond being a forum which is fine but I want forum software. VB has made an error incorporating all these social functions into it's base bulking it up.

RectangleMan, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  8. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    True myBB has gone a very far way and is actually (imo) starting to peel away from the vb feel while it still has a little. Such as revamping the admin panel and user cp which I think is a good thing. I think any software over time will grow if it has active developers.

You can say that again. The reason why I joined in this topic was to shoot off some false statements about SMF not trying to bash myBB or anything.

No offense but thats a waste of money. ;)

Not my fault people dont know how to extract files and chmod them. It has nothing to do with the installer. As I havent seen any bugs or flaws in it at all.

shadow82x, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  9. MrSandMan

MrSandMan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Fair enough. I can same the same thing with ALL my communities. I tried VB, IPB then back to the trusty SMF.

I'm sure he does good work. However, he sounds like a salesman to me. Lo

Look at some of his last statements:

-"I guess I would choose to use SMF if I was a total noob and required someone to hold my hand for FTP" [suggesting that only "total noobs" use SMF - I guess only the software educated folks use MYBB? What a joke!] <--- I should post that comment on SMF boards and see how those guys react. Clearly Rectangleman (aka Labrocca) is trolling. Totally classless! That's an arrogant and immature statement. I guess he's trying to pound his chest and say he SO much better than any SMF coder. That's totally laughable.

-I wonder how many can say the same about SMF?" [suggesting that few would go back to SMF after trying other software] -- Hey, guess want Rectangleman (aka Labrocco), THOUSANDS! Don't underestimate the power.

Judging me because I use Brian Gardner's Revolution Wordpress theme? IMO That's one of the best themes for Wordpress, why reinvent the wheel? What do you have against Brian G. dude, he's a great guy. You should try to get to know him before you start judging people.

Oh, and my SMF forum is http://gear-monkey.com/. If you can find that theme ANYWHERE on the net, then I'll give you $500 cash! if you can't, then go eat crow. Don't be the typical N00B!

Are you referring to Rectangleman (aka Labrocco)? Because he's the one on here calling "SMF users noobs that require someone to hold their hand".

I'm just stating the facts. When I do, MYBB people register with DP, make one (or a very few) BS posts and then leave to never return.

There must be a thread going on the MYBB board's about this thread, and all 5 of the community members are coming over here to talk shit- Lol. We don't even need to do that with SMF. SMF have a great reputation and don't need a handful of groupies running around trying to make false claims.

Anyhoo, welcome to the boards Tim. I hope you come back and actually contribute something to DP.

MrSandMan, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  10. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MyBB is great to work with, everyone should try it. :)

gemini181, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  11. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With MyBB you can easily figure out many things. Plus, the community is usually very helpful.

gemini181, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  12. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    Lol this is reminding me of the admin zone now. As much as I feel you are proving a valid point MrSandMan, i think you need to calm down a bit more. (No offense) :D

Just to comment back on this. No myBB does not offer a lot more features. And why would you think you need to hold your hand for FTP? You can actually edit templates files and everything in FTP. I have found SMF to be a lot more flexible in my few months of using myBB (not so much in the mod section but theming.) So what exactly can myBB do that SMF can't?

Features myBB doesn't have that SMF does... (Referring to SMF2.0)
    - WYSIWYG editor
    - Tracking of new replies
    - Watched users under mod panel
    - Users can view WHY they were warned not just there percent for the warning system
    - More advanced stat system/stats per user
    - Ability to ignore new posts in certain forums which is more useful than it sounds
    - PM display modes
    - PM Rules
    - Membergroup/Team Display by default

Not saying none of this can be done via mods for mybb.

While you can come up with a list for myBB I'm just saying SMF has just as many different features. I dont know about you Labrocca but I enjoy discussing the merits and feedback for each software. As supporters for both softwares we can always offer suggestions to make the product better.

shadow82x, Oct 27, 2008 IP
  13. lufbra

lufbra Peon

Best Answers:
    They don't, they make do with just the one. Unfortunately he once again makes accusations, yet while doing so he's doing the exact same thing!

Oh dear, how terrible! And yet some posts ago you tell us about another site that was down as if it was something really bad, too bad you forgot to mention that your site has gone down in the past!

All this brings me back to that word again...HYPOCRITE!!

lufbra, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  14. MrSandMan

Best Answers:
    Shadow82, I'll try to play nice. I just need to school this n00b something real quick.

LMFAO. You ARE grabbing at straws, son. Seriously!

First G-V was a project that started as an auction. When I decided to switch servers to handle more traffic, changing DNS does take some time to update. -

PSSST- G-V isn't even SMF. LMFAO!!!!11!!!!!! HAHA!!1!!!!1!! You, sir, are a tool!

But I guess you would know nothing about that, n00b.

Wow, this MYBB slappy is really coming up with some weak stuff. But it's fun handing you back your ass everytime you post a comment :D

Next he will tell us black is really white with the absence of blue. :)

MrSandMan, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  15. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    I enjoy it too. If I see something Mybb lacks in base that another software offers then that's a plugin I can create.

If you want to speak of features. I just have one word...AJAX. There are countless new Ajax features for mybb.

Ajax Quick Reply
    Ajax inline edit
    Ajax inline subject edit from thread display
    Ajax Registration form validation

Now for more:
    Tracking of PMs
    Horizontal or Vertical postbit (selectable by user)
    Task Schedule (this is psycho cool)
    Reputation System (yes smf has karma but it's too basic)
    Exporting of PM's via html, text, or csv.
    Admincp template editing

And there is plenty of overlap too. I know SMF does have a few different features but stuff like a WYSIWYG is totally pointless. That's what bbcode is for and why would you want a wysiwyg? A forum post is not a web page. Never understood that people want that feature even as an addon. Just as bad as a shoutbox.

Mentioning SMF 2.0 doesn't cut it. It's not out and by the time it is..Mybb could have all those features as plugins. Also Mybb warning system does show why users were warned if admin wants them to know.

Mybb has 170 different settings under it's configuration. That does not include the forum permissions, group options, or warning system setup. I count 160 for SMF.

Here is structure for an SMF forum table:

Here it is for Mybb:

Mybb has nearly DOUBLE the information and it's all used to create more options and features.

SMF has a total of 41 tables.
    Mybb has a total of 68 tables.

Again..stark contrast in comparisons. All these numbers add up to one thing. Mybb has more of just about everything.

Classic:

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot to add Mybb's new promotion system that allows you to set various options so members can automatically be promoted to new groups. This is very handy for controlling permissions for new users and then when they reach X posts or X time as member they get promoted to a new group that might give them better options. You can control spammers and noobs with this effectively.

RectangleMan, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  16. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    SMF has all of those except quick reply. Which I think is planned in a future version. I agree its a good idea to have it as the core but for now sadly its only a mod.

- Yeah I can see how tracking of PMs can be cool
    - I personally think it was not a good idea for myBB to add this in the core tbh (I personally hate the horizontal post bits and find it much easier to read a post) But I guess its good if people like it the above way. :?
    - The karma system can be approved for both softwares id probably say. But if were comparing myBB, SMF - mybb would win. Though I haven't found a forum yet that uses this feature very well but i know vB handles this well.
    - I never exported PMs ever
    - You actually can edit templates pretty advanced in the admin panel. It seperates each part of a template separately. You can also edit the css. The thing is there are fewer template files so I feel as if its a lot easier to edit. You can also edit them in your own FTP client. I dont know about you or others but I find this way easier than editing it in the admin panel - though you have the choice.

Thats why its disabled by default. But as for me - I love it and so do my users. Its easy to create long posts. Dont even get me started on shoutboxes though. :p

I love how people bring up this comment. Were not talking about myBB1.4 here when there wasn't any demo or forum and just features announced. SMF allows public betas. And as for as a end user can tell SMF2.0 is practically stable except a few things unnoticeable. If SMF were in myBB's release cycle it would of been out ages ago.

Not sure exactly what that can do thats useful. With SMF you can already control promotions based on posts and set entire permissions for posting membergroups along with normal membergroups.

Than the question comes to mind how much of those features are really used. I think SMF has more unique features that are beneficial to a community. Things like topic rating, board passwords, using html, ect. I know I would never see myself rating topics on the topic index (spam rating much) or what not or using anything else. And why does myBB even have the option to use html (Major security risk!) I dont even see the reason why there should be a forced theme per board if you wanted.

shadow82x, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  17. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    I have used that repeatedly here. Since they limit and even prune your PM box it's helpful to occassionally export and archive them then delete. Now you have a local record of PMs independent of the forum. Heck...if you get banned you lose access too and that stinks. Exporting of PMs has proven to be handy too when sites allow for thousands and they build up. At Namepros I had 2000 PMs I just wanted to clear out but I was able to export and save them before I did. You never know when you need an old PM.

The option is there I see a lot of people want that. I agree it's stupid though. Mybb does remove script tag access though no matter what.

You mentioned some features I wasn't aware of that exist in SMF. Thanks for that. Good discussion thanks for that too.

RectangleMan, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  18. lufbra

lufbra Peon

Best Answers:
    Psst, what part of that post was SMF even mentioned?

Here's the statement again...

Yup, SMF isn't even mentioned, or would you like me to go edit it to your liking?

Once again your "patheticness", having to "imagine" that things are posted!

Let me just clarify my meaning of the post above. You stated before that a certain site was down, pretty much mocking that site for it being down. Yet when it comes to the fact you told folks that your site would be down, no matter whatever the reason for it being down, because it's your site that doesn't matter. So in other words for someone else's site to be down, in your eyes that's bad. But your site being down, there's nothing wrong with that!

It also strikes me odd that you decide once again to "miss out" on certain posts, posts that prove you totally wrong in what you've been saying in this thread

lufbra, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  19. Aldo

Aldo Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry if someone has already said this, but thats rather funny since MyBB copies vB :p poorly at that

Aldo, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  20. MrSandMan

Best Answers:
    Don't be a troll.

My site is highly customized. Mostly everything about my forum is custom because I wanted unique.

I created a highly modified myspace addon and added a music player to my forum for each member to upload songs and share. I'm sure I can dig up and find some mods that you made has a bug in it. Hell, even a fresh MYBB script won't install on the server due to bugs. This thread proves that.

I still find it funny that you claim "Anyone who uses SMF is a total noobâ„¢". Now that's CLASSIC!

BTW, can you find me a mod for MYBB like this? http://www.avidsound.com/profile/?u=1

or

http://www.gear-monkey.com/gearspace.php?user=1

That's why SMF is so cool. It does EVERYTHING and it's hacker safe.

MrSandMan, Oct 28, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.