1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpBB VS SMF VS MyBB

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Tarkan, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    I PMed you the information.

Tarkan, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  2. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    Wrong, if the forum has a very rare bug that happens to some people, and I am able to fix it, and the myBB forum works better with more features and better modding etc., it will be definitely worth the trouble.

Tarkan, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  3. NetSage

NetSage Peon

Best Answers:
    You test on a live site? I'm sorry but that's kind of a noobish move in my eyes. Don't you have a local host? And test the conversion there and the forum there before switching your site?

NetSage, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  4. MrSandMan

MrSandMan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Where is the Wordpress and Joomla bridge for MyBB? I can't seem to find it here- http://mods.mybboard.net/mods

Also, I can't seem to find under the first post MyBB ads mod either... is that in the default settings? Under the first and last post ad is a money maker (a nice portion of my daily revenue comes from under the post ads). Just curious if anyone knows where this mod is.

I tried this site, http://www.mybbworkshop.co.cc/ but it appears that MyBB site is having technical difficulties. Odd for the "best" forum script to be down.

So I thought I'd try this MyBB forum, but it's blank like issue Tarkan is having. I guess this is the norm with mybb? http://gsmorbit.com/expert/

anyone have answers where I can find a couple of these mods?

MrSandMan, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  5. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As for Tarkans problem. I just spent the past couple hours finding this bug for him (and mybb). Apparently mybb incorrectly states that it's Mysql 4.0 compatible when in fact it will require 4.1 as written. The install breaks because commands for character encoding that weren't available in 4.0. Total bitch to nail down but I did.

It's reported to Mybb:
    http://community.mybboard.net/thread-39505-post-264500.html#pid264500

I am sure they will come up with a solution.

Any software has problems but there are people that do help fix them in mybb. It does get done and being a smaller community it might take a bit longer. Most mybb users never experience these problems but it's unfortunate if even 1% do. I totally understand the frustration and hassle of getting past a bug.

Oh and I did end up installing mybb for Tarkan successfully with a workaround. It's up to mybb on how to permanently fix it though for next release.

There was one for 1.2x for wordpress.
    There is a bridge for coppermine.
    Someone started one for Joomla but it's not released.

I will build these bridges myself if I must. I am the most published author of plugins for mybb with over 10,000 downloads to date.

Oh that's an easy one:
    http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-1616.html <-- My Ad Manager
    And here is my very popular Paypal IPN Subscription Module:
    http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-1613.html
    How about my really cool My Awards plugin?
    http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-1782.html

I really hope you knew that I wrote mybb plugins. Dozens of them as a matter of fact.

http://www.mybbworkshop.co.cc <--- That's a new site run by a teenager. Who cares why it's down? It could be for any number of reasons unrelated to mybb.

http://gsmorbit.com/expert/ <-- Where the heck are you finding these ridiculous links? Unless those forum owners want to step forward with claims of mybb problems (as Tarkan has) then they are irrelevent to our discussion.

I am done discussing with you mrsandman. Others can read this thread for themselves and decide. You obviously are a closed minded individual. I wish you luck and the best success possible. You are now on my ignore list so anything you post I just won't read. I won't be missing anything I am sure.

Anyone else want to chime in with an actual intelligent comment?

RectangleMan, Oct 23, 2008 IP
    Tarkan and hockeyhero like this.
  6. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright, let me just say, after a quick review, thanks to RectangleMan's magical fixing skills :D.

Right off the bat...
    MyBB defeats phpBB instantly... The permissions in phpBB alone is enough to say "Holy crap, phpbb, you are just awful".

MyBB defeats phpBB in terms of initial design and mods that come with the forum package. I mean, just a feature like QuickEdit/FullEdit... What kind of forum developer builds a simplified forum where you have to download a package to implement this OBVIOUS feature??? Some say "oh well we want it customizable, and packages come as light as possible" this is NOT 1995, and we don't have dialup, and we don't need to have to go around downloading tons of OBVIOUS features like quick-edit.

SMF is obviously second-best. Quite frankly, though I haven't seen many good websites with SMF forums. Though I must say that the SMF website is a nicely designed and navigated website and their community forums seems pretty good as well.

Tarkan, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  7. MrSandMan

Best Answers:
    I think you misunderstand. Under the first post there should be an ad. I don't see it in your demos. That is the best paying ad position on a forum (atleast for me it is).

I guess no such mod exists?

No wordpress or joomla bridge either?

And visiting the support forums, I found a those two sites with problems and no solutions to fix?

I guess you added me on ignore because you know that after all the smoke and poopoo clear... there are the facts. The fact is MyBB just isn't a well-rounded software and have lots of issues... and nobody to help new administrators.

Sounds like a deal breaker to me.

I wish you the best luck too. No hard feelings. I just think the readers of this thread deserve the facts.

Because I recommend stable software with great support and that offer more mods and themes than anyone could ever want/need?

The only "intelligent comment" that rectangleman wants to hear is praise for an unstable software with limited mods. Don't anyone dare post a positive opinion about other forum programs other than mybb, or you'll be on his "ignore" list. LMAO!!!!

EDIT:

I stand corrected. I found a mbb forum with an ad under the post.
    http://www.dailytalkforum.com/showthread.php?tid=5830

But it looks like it don't belong there. It doesn't blend or flow like it should. Not sure if it'd be as effective. Ads need to blend to be effective. (i.e. scroll up to the first post of this thread and see the adsense below the post.)

That mybb mod needs work to be more effective. It looks amateur-ish.

EDIT #2: Does MyBB have a myspace profile mod? That's one of my top 5 favorite SMF mods. I can't seem to find very many mods for MyBB

8. silent_thunder

silent_thunder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Phpbb3 is the best!! people say it can be hacked easily so does all the others available in open source infact even Vb can be hacked So Use PHPBB3 its free and has loads of features

silent_thunder, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  9. MrSandMan

Best Answers:
    I like phpBB3. I think it looks much more professional. And I don't think any major security issues have been exploited.. yet.

I'm using it on one of my test forums as we speak. Installing mods is a bitch tho. :p

10. hamonpari

hamonpari Peon

Best Answers:
    myBB = themes are ok, but no security
    SMF = professional & secure
    phpbb = no security hack mods are available for free

so SMF will work fine...

hamonpari, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  11. lufbra

lufbra Peon

Best Answers:
    It strikes me as odd that when you reply you choose to leave out things responding to your being totally wrong. One of your posts had links in it, yet you decided to not respond to this quote...

If debating about anything you leave out parts of the "debate", that does tend to make you look foolish, posting "third party" links to make something else look bad makes you look even more foolish, like you're trying to cover something up! Oh and by the way, many may websites have their "down time", so that makes that replay null and void!!

lufbra, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  12. NetSage

NetSage Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a bridge that supports MyBB for Joomla actually.

http://www.jfusion.org/ (Can't post live links yet)

NetSage, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  13. MrSandMan

Best Answers:
    You joined up to DP just to write that? You must be another MyBB slappy. Did someone's feelings get hurt? I bet this thread is the talk of the work over at mybboards. Somebody's not sucking the MyBB nipple and peoples wittle feelings got hurt.

I leave out stuff because most of it was nonsense and already debunked. In addition, everytime I take time out of my schedule to post to this debate, I lose $100 - $500 of potential income... So please do forgive me for having priorities.

Lastly, the reason I posted those sites was because they were suppose to have mods and themes. The one MyBB slappy on here was talking about all these great mods and useful mods. Yet here are sites that are down.

I think it looks foolish of you have only 4 posts and only joining up to DP to flame and try and make unsubstantial attacks against other long term members.

that's what strikes me as odd.

Welcome to the forums lufbra

MrSandMan, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  14. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    RectangleMan, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  15. silent_thunder

silent_thunder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Jfusion bridge is not only for Mybb its for all the forums!! even the joomla.org uses phpbb3 for their community so that is great advert for phpbb3 there!!

But the admin and user interfaces are still not yet resolved plus the templates have to be syncorinised
    but when they built a joomla /phpbb3 combined software it will be a killer combo!!

Will beat everything I am sure!!

For now stick to joomla advanced forum its the only reliable solution for a forum with complete integration

For now use stargate or phpbb3 portal and then try to install the joomla when the bridges develop into the next stage!!

If you donate money to any of those developers you may get it quickly :D

silent_thunder, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  16. NetSage

NetSage Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes but it's still a bridge for MyBB and Joomla. That's like saying if there wasn't another bridge for SMF and Joomla that it doesn't count.

Plus any person who knows html and css(which all administrators should) would be able to integrate the forum and cms on their own looks whise.

and where did I flame? I just made valid points.

NetSage, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  17. lufbra

lufbra Peon

Best Answers:
    I take it you have a hard time reading things as well...

Also, why do you have to resort to name calling as in naming folks "slappy"? That certainly shows the level of your ability to discuss anything in a cordial manner!

lufbra, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  18. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would go with SMF after using myBB and phpBB for several months. There are things SMF hold that those 2 softwares cant/wont have mods. I also found that a SMF forum is more encouraging to post on with its tracking of posts.

Copied and pasted this from a post on another forum by me....

- Tracking of posts: Try tracking posts on ANY other software... With SMF you can view new replies to your posts, unread posts, and I never understood with mybb/phpbb why read posts are still displayed under "new posts. None compare to how SMF does it and you can even ignore posts/forums.

- Simplicity: Any software I tried cannot handle one click/upload mods and themes. Also features throughout the forum are even very easy to use and configure. You will notice everything is user friendly.

- Flexibility: SMF has tons of mods and themes. With a kickass theme engine. ;) I personally find things to edit. Though I cant comment on the coding part as I'm not a major coder.

- Security: Never had to deal with spam bots or being hacked ever using SMF.

- Also several other small things that just blend in like contact info by posts, quick reply, WYSWIYG editor, PM display, PM rules, more advanced stat system, admin panel is actually part of the forum, and lots more.

But thats just my suggestion - it comes down to what you want in your forum. Just from my experience you will have a more successful forum if you use SMF. Take a look at all the huge boards out running SMF and see how successful it is.

shadow82x, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  19. IMPAQ

IMPAQ Guest

Best Answers:
    Wow... this thread went south real quick.

Anyways, I use MyBB. I've used vBulletin and phpBB, as well. I've tried SMF, but found it cumbersome and very difficult to theme. I loved vBulletin, but really don't feel like paying money out for a hobby. phpBB is okay, but there's something about 3 that I don't like, which is weird, I know. I like MyBB 1.4x, but there is a definite lack of modifications and the modding community still has some growing to do in terms of numbers. Modifying/skinning your forum is a snap with MyBB's template system, kinda like vB's.

As for what I'd like to see from free forum options, well... I think IPB has it together in terms of being a social networking hybrid. User blogs, galleries, etc. I'd love to see the free options follow suit. There's a serious lack of attention to user profiles within many of the modding communities.

IMPAQ, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  20. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    Yup...I agree and that's a long-standing problem they haven't seem to of solved even with 1.4x. It takes getting used to but I agree it's another weakness.

On the simplicity level mybb does go a long way. Plugins are one click installs. The template system is probably the only thing that has a steep learning curve. It's innovative and not like any other template system.

I would say that's SMF biggest strength. They have seriously taken security serious. I give them a 10/10 for security that's for damn sure. Mybb isn't as unsecure as some would have you think though. I have yet to be hacked on my sites and my hackforums.net is constantly under attack. Everything from spam bots to DDOS attempt.s I seen it all there. I just update immediately when patches are released and keep a watchful eye.

shadow82x thanks for adding to the discussion. It's appreciated that user of SMF can come in here and explain things well without resorting to personal attacks and flaming.

RectangleMan, Oct 24, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.