1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpBB VS SMF VS MyBB

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Tarkan, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's fixed now for the next maintenance release and it's not always easy to keep backward compatibility on 3+ year old software. Very few hosts still run 4.0 mysql. Either way it's easy to patch and 1.4.4 will have it fixed. Mybb imho has a lot of bug fixing to do but bugs aren't exploits. Also these bugs are mainly related to the many new features 1.4x has to offer. Sure it's not pleasant dealing with bugs but overall mybb functions extremely well. Updates are so increadibly easy (without breaking themes or plugins) that I don't mind the updates at all. PHPBB was and is a serious problem to update breaking templates and inserted mods (oh how I hated that).

Mybb imho has proven to me they can keep their software updated. I expect 1.4.4 any day now. They have caught up on their bug fixes and I am sure doing some testing to get the next release ready.

This has been a crazy thread. OP wants opinions...gets LOTS of them. Decides to go with Mybb and the SMF'ers are pretty upset.

Do fans of SMF really think that digging in their heels on this thread is doing them any good? OP has chosen...

RectangleMan, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  2. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thats not what the argument is anymore. Its really an argument between what software is better. I'm sorry but this topic evolved away from the OP. I dont think most of us are upset considering the amount of users SMF already has too. ;)

shadow82x, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  3. MrSandMan

MrSandMan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Of course I'm going to point out lies from the 'new' mybb user who couldn't install his MyBB on his server and couldn't get any support from the MyBB support forums.

Clearly it's the MyBB'ers who are on their heels in this debate since they have to resort to pure lies and misconceptions.

Heck, it took 9 or 10 pages of debating RectangleMan before he finally came forward about the fact that he never even used, registered or took a look at SMF. How can RectangleMan compare MyBB to SMF if he has absolutely no experience with SMF at all?

RectangleMan reminds me of "Tropic Thunder," the dude trying to be the dude who is the dude disguised as the dude playing the other dude.

What's next, we gonna debate some cars that you never rode in, driven or even took a peek under the hood? Classic!

Oh, Fantastico

MrSandMan, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  4. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    Well I started a new thread more focused on the popularity of the softwares. Go argue with me there. It should be a doozy.

5. lufbra

lufbra Peon

Best Answers:
    May I ask when This Forum was upgraded to 1.1.7, and also why did it need to be upgraded?

lufbra, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  6. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
  7. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

This really is a serious thread.
    :eek:

If I provide a SMF fan with a temporary cPanel account can they do this?

Can you show me anything as incredible as the MyPlaza plugin which is currently being updated for MyBB 1.4?

Note: We are talking about a very powerful plugin which has plugins created for the plugin.
    Can your favorite free software do all this?? :)

gemini181, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  8. MrSandMan

Best Answers:
    Myplaza looks like a great plugin. http://myplaza.zingaburga.com/
    Not something I would ever use though.

Can you point me to the custom myspace profile mod for MyBB. That's one of my favorites.

MrSandMan, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  9. Ryan Gordon

Ryan Gordon Peon

Best Answers:
    The url is http://mods.mybboard.net/view/myplaza

Currently it's only available for 1.2 as Zinga is now apart of the MyBB staff and is busy with other obligations - There however seems to be a port being created by another member for 1.4

Ryan Gordon, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  10. susanqy

susanqy Guest

Best Answers:
    My choice has always been php. i think its best .but if possible,i want to try myBB also.

susanqy, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  11. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    SMF has always been my 2nd choice, next to vB.

Pixelrage, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  12. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    I will believe it when I see it. That's a seriously complex mod.

MYPS had that long before MyPlaza. 100% Myplaza is a better points system as ZingaBurga is a much better coder than I. But imho because he made it so complex...it has weighed itself down on updates. The bigger they are the harder they fall so to speak. imho he should have made it more modular so he could update one piece at a time instead of integrating every feature under the sun. That's a GIANT plugin...

RectangleMan, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  13. Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First issue has been patched in 1.1.7, contrary to your claim.
    Second issue has also been patched in 1.1.7.
    All the others were patched in previous versions of SMF (3rd one was patched in 1.1.6 and the other two were patched in 1.1.5).

How do those issues make SMF any less secure than any other system?

Oldiesmann, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  14. MrSandMan

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I pointed that out to this poster also... I think he ran off to hide under a rock someplace.

I found exploits in the current 1.4.2 MyBB via a simple google search. But I guess Tarken, a self-proclaimed, "professional PHP security" guy can't find the MyBB vulnerabilities, yet he can take down any 1.1.7 or 2.0 SMF in a matter of minutes. LMAO!

So yea, I'm 7-feet tall, shredded like Conan the Barbarian and bulletproof like robocop... the Internet is an amazing place! Come join us in our fantasy land... :D

MrSandMan, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  15. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sure...
    This mod makes the profile look and act like a myspace profile without all the ads and junk of course.

Note: I don't think it's been updated for the newest version of MyBB.
    Many other mods are now available for 1.4.x, and it's been a great year for MyBB. :)

The MyPlaza plugin is an inspiration to me, and I don't even write code, yet.
    ##

You do what you are able to RectangleMan, and have helped the community a lot, thanks.

gemini181, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  16. lufbra

lufbra Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems like someone finds it hard to answer questions here, must be too busy thinking up sarcastic comments and creating more lies of his own.

I wonder how much has been lost so far by his posting here.

lufbra, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  17. MrSandMan

Best Answers:
    First answer tell us why you like to get your photo taken with a superman costume on...

You have too much time on your hands-

[​IMG]

Stay in school

18. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    MrSandMan you are truly an IDIOT. I told you the exploits do work, and they do work, they haven't been patched, I tested them and they still work on 1.1.7, all I had to do was modify it a little. <---- it shows SMF is less secure than MyBB, end of discussion.

I've proven it, I have no reason to lie, I started this thread asking what forum is better, and it is clear that SMF is worse than MyBB.

I don't know why you go to such lengths to character assassinate me, and why go to such lengths to call me a liar... ARE YOU SMF'S LAWYER???

If you think for one minute, that you have made the world think more of SMF because of your posts, you are wrong. All we have learned from this thread is, MyBB is more secure than SMF especially considering the age of both; and we also learned that SMF fan-boys are just as annoying as iphone fanboys. The other result of your posting is, 3 new SMF exploits, that I myself have found, 2 of them based on the old ones, that I will now distribute, because of you guys calling me a liar, without even knowing who I am, or knowing my reputation or my background.

You have only damaged SMF community, that's it.

Tarkan, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  19. MrSandMan

Best Answers:
    Oh-scary-stuff!

[​IMG]

Well, in that case, I have a DVD Rewinder that I'd like to give you! Please-please-please-please don't put da hack-down on my forum.

:D

[​IMG]

20. millionaire08

millionaire08 Guest

Best Answers:
    Phpbb is very complicated.... I dont know how to configure it...

millionaire08, Nov 18, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.